6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 2:57 AM by Madhav Subedi

use variable in URLRequest

The Converted

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way of creating a button with a link to an external site, which also passes a variable ID with it.  Using the method below just sends the id as {songsList.selectedItem.songid} how do I get a variable in there.  I'd appreciate your help, thanks

########################################################

function navToURL(event:MouseEvent):void {
          var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest('http://www.website.comc/page.asp?id="{songsList.selectedItem.songid}"');
          navigateToURL(request, "_self");

}

####################################################################

• 1. Re: use variable in URLRequest
          Madhav Subedi Level 4

try it:

function navToURL(event:MouseEvent):void {
              var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest("http://www.website.comc/page.asp?id="+songsList.selectedItem.songid);
              navigateToURL(request, "_self");
          }

• 2. Re: use variable in URLRequest
            jake_flex Level 2

And if you want to use POST method, see URLVariables class.

• 3. Re: use variable in URLRequest
              The Converted Level 1

Hi,

Thanks, that works, however on the first left click on the mouse nothing happens.  Subsequent clicks work ok which is strange, is there a way of solving this?

Also is there method of showing a message or moving icon saying "transferring you to site" so the people know something is happening.  Thanks for your help.

this is my button

<mx:Button disabledSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer1.gif')" downSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer2.gif')" overSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer2.gif')" upSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer1.gif')" id="urlbutton" click="urlbutton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, navToURL);"/>

• 4. Re: use variable in URLRequest
                Matt Le Fevre Level 4

showBusyCursor="true"

or you could simply have a label become visible on button press with a 'Please wait' message

• 5. Re: use variable in URLRequest
                  The Converted Level 1

Hi,

I put showBusyCursor="true" in my button and it brings up error "can't resolve attribute"

I need to find a way of solving the main problem of it not directing to the new page on the 1st click of the mouse?

• 6. Re: use variable in URLRequest
                    Madhav Subedi Level 4

something funny is happening in your code:

<mx:Button disabledSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer1.gif')" downSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer2.gif')" overSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer2.gif')" upSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer1.gif')" id="urlbutton" click="urlbutton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, navToURL);"/> 

in the button click you are adding the EVENTLISTENER, not actually calling navToURL

instead, do :

<mx:Button disabledSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer1.gif')" downSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer2.gif')" overSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer2.gif')" upSkin="@Embed(source='bin/assets/logoforplayer1.gif')" id="urlbutton" click="navToURL(event);"/> 

in the function you can show busy cursor by:

cursorManager.setBusyCursor();