10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 6:14 AM by ingvarai

Can AE help me remove a microphone?

ingvarai Level 1

Unfortunately, the microphone is in the wrong place. It is impossible to shoot this again. The microphone MUST be removed somehow. I exported the video clip as an image sequence, and edited each end every image in Photoshop, mostly using the clone tool. Well, I do not like the result. Those images looked great as single images, but imported back as a video again, the animated clone effects effect become noticable and make things worse.

Now - has AE built in effects that can help me here? Or is there a plug-in which can do it? I have tested Reg Giant Key Correct Pro, and the wire rig remover. Maybe I do not understand how to use it, but it can't help me with this.

The person is turning his head slighty right <--> left, otherwise his head mostly is in the same position. The camera is on a tripod - fixed, not moving.

ingvarai

mic-remove.png

• 1. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

If I were you, I'd try masking a copy of the other side of his collar (and background wall), flipping it horizontally, feathering the mask, and dropping it on top of your source.

Since the camera is locked off, with a decent feather, it may look ok.

You may have to animate the maskshape throughout the piece, but you could probably only do that where necessary.

It looks like you'll have to tweak the levels on the masked copy because the mic side is darker than the other side, but it can probably be done.

• 2. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Doesn't look too intimidating... I'd first cleanly cut out the microphone, only taking care to not damage the skin areas. Then I'd duplicate the layer without the mask, place it below the cutout, flip it horizontally. Adjust the anchor point to be in the hole, then animate the position and rotation to match. Only slight adjustments should be needed to correct the colors and as Steve said, feathered edges help of course.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
              red-mike Level 1

If you're asking "Can AE do (insert task here)?" this probably means you have limited to no experience with after effects. If you're on a time table you're better off paying a compositor a couple hundred dollars to save your shot. It's easy to people who know what they're doing because they understand all the techniques they'd use to erase that mic, but to someone who's just starting out you are going to have a heck of a time banging your head against the keyboard to try and produce this invisible effect.

There is no "erase the mic" button. If you want to learn After Effects and plan to add it to your "tool box" that's another story, but if you're just trying to save your shot, save yourself the headache, support your neighborhood compositor, expand your network and finish your film.

• 4. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                ingvarai Level 1
                If you're asking "Can AE do (insert task here)?" this probably means you have limited to no experience with after effects.

red-mike,

I installed AE a couple of days ago. Video editing is my favorite [expensive] hobby now. I enjoy the process itself, as much as a good final result. I want to learn, and removing the mike from my footages would be one of many ways to familiarize myself with After Effects. Expect many more beginner kind of questions from me in the near future. I have used Sony Vegas intensively for more than a year now, and acquired AE to do "surgery" on my video because of its good reputation. I will probably not use Premiere, as I am very happy with Sony Vegas.

If you want to learn After Effects and plan to add it to your "tool box" that's another story

You hit the nail on its head here! Actually, what I would like to see is a (rather comprehensive) video with the theme "all these effects were made using After Effects" or the like. Any links to such a video is welcome. I know Adobe TV and have already watched many tutorials, but I will probably only get to know a fraction of the possibilities in this application. Hence the question about removing certain image elements from the video. I also work with sound, and iZotope, Voxengo etc. are able to "learn" certain noise patterns and remove only these from the sound. Then I thought maybe  AE had an effect where I could "teach" it that the black mike is something I want to be removed from the white wall and the man's yellow shirt.

ingvarai

• 5. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

As a roto task, this could be considered relatively easy because there are no soft borders or semi-transparency involved, and the background is pretty much plain white. But "relatively easy" is unfortunately optimistic when roto/masking is involved.

You'd have to use and animate vector masks very precisely along time to remove the mic and use different area(s) of plain white in the background to fill the hole, sort of speak. Easier said than done, this kind of thing requires a lot of practice and patience.

As a starting point, check out the whole AE Help section on masking, called Alpha channels, masks and mattes.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                    ingvarai Level 1

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

As a roto task, this could be considered relatively easy
                    As a starting point, check out the whole AE Help section on masking, called Alpha channels, masks and mattes.

Now we are talking!

I will definitely follow your advice.

ingvarai

• 7. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                      red-mike Level 1

You need 2 - 3 patches (clean painted stills or movies) depending on the footage. One of the wall, one of the guy's shirt, and maybe one if his neck.

You can do the paint job in after effects by scooting over similar patches of the wall and flipping the clean collar like someone above recommended.

You need to track each patch individually.

This tutorial will familiarize you with a lot of the techniques you'll use to accomplish this: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/advanced_sky_replacement/

It looks like the mic sits behind the guy's head so roto the head to keep that over the patches.

Good luck.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                        ingvarai Level 1

red-mike,

thanks a lot! The tutorial you mention is very good, right up my alley. I already learnt a lot from it. I like the style, the way of explaining things. Now - the expression "roto" is not clear to me. "so roto the head to keep that over the patches" I think I know wjat you mean, but can you enlighten me a little?

ingvarai

• 9. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Rotoscoping refers to any task that modifies layer content using paint or masking tools. Wikipedia has something on the stuff in its stricted meaning, but be aware that for video and film rotoscoping could also be seen to a reference to old multi-exposure techniques, where areas of film A would be covered up with cardboard, tape and otehr means, so when exposed to a film B, those areas remained undeveloped, allowing to imprint content from film C in the empty areas.

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Can AE help me remove a microphone?
                            ingvarai Level 1

FWIW, I found this:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-after-effects-cs4/introducing-after-effects-cs4/

Click on More episodes in this show.

This is exactly what I need, to get started.

ingvarai