3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 12:52 PM by Ned Murphy

    What is this called in Flash?


      I am interested in creating something like features section on this page http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ where you scroll through different images with a breif intro and link to go to the details page.


      I am trying to search for this but I am not sure what this funtion is called. Are there any tutorials to do something similar?



        • 1. Re: What is this called in Flash?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

          It's not clear to me what you mean when you mention "features section" in that page as I cannot find anything there (easily) with that title.  And I don't see anything in that page that stands out as being Flash content--everything I see is basic html.  So you may need to be more specific.  In any case, for just about anything on that page I do not think you would find a tutorial specific to it because it all appears to be straightforward presentation of content, not anything only Flash could do.

          • 2. Re: What is this called in Flash?
            mirakushi Level 1

            I am refering to the top-middle section of the page. It looks like a movies with 5 images with text titles and links. It's sliding from image 1 to 5 on it's own. It is titled as "FEATURES". There are 5 numbers at the bootom of this movie to jump to that specific images and a pause/play button on the right.


            I thought it was done with Flash.

            • 3. Re: What is this called in Flash?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

              I'm sorry, I just realized that the machine I'm using at the moment doesn't have the required version of Flash installed - so as you see below all I am seeing is an image indicating Flash 9 or higher needs to be installed--which I simply overlooked on my quest to find something with "features" titling it.  My normal machine lost its UPS today so I'm floundering at the moment.  In any case. you can see that image they provide does give some indication of what you describe--just blank dark areas though.




              I do not know of any specific tutorial for that piece, though I have created one similar to what I think it is.  So what you might try doing is looking around Google for an "AS3 xml slideshow tutorial".  You may find one that has features such as that, though you may have to adapt from what you find to what you want.


              You might even try searching this forum.  Sometime in the past few months, but not too recently, someone decided to offer their own solution to slideshow design that had a variety of features--unfortunately, I cannot remember anything specific, and for me to search with this machine would be tedious... it became the reason for getting a new one.


              Another thing you might have to look for would be "AS3 scrolling thumbnails menu tutorial" since you might find a slideshow that doesn't have the scrolling feature.