26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 8:07 AM by pskyler

Premiere CS4 on a  Mac

Merlinfilmproductions

I have been using Premiere pro CS4 on a PC for about 12 months. I always shoot on HDV and capture through firewire in to premiere. This is easy because i have a HDV 1440x1080i sequence preset. This is in a HDV folder in sequence presets. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro with firewire 800. When i installed a trial version of Premiere CS4 on the Mac i found that in do not have a HDV sequence preset. I only have presets for SD, DVCPRO, AVCH and other presets for mobile devices,  But no HDV presets. Can anyone tel me how i capture HDV (1440x1080i, PAL) on a MacBook Pro?

I would really like to move my editing to My MacBook as it is much more stable than PC based editor.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Get the full version. As is spelled out on the Adobe site, the trial does not support anything MPEG.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
            Merlinfilmproductions Level 1

Arh yes i see that now. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              I would really like to move my editing to My MacBook as it is much more stable than PC based editor.

What makes you think that? I'm still waiting for my first crash with CS4 4.1 on a PC, well not really waiting for it, but I never experienced one.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Things run pretty well for me under Windows 7.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                  Antinet Level 1

I bought Premiere as part of the production premium thinking I was getting something decent for the mac. Wow, was I wrong. NO HD QT export. I mean ZERO. I dont know what the point of capturing HD is, if I cant transfer it. NO preview during capture, something even iMovie does. A pathetic number of transitions, like about 33% of the number of the PC version. Mind-boggling file management system that doesnt isolate individual projects, but throws everythig into a pile you have to sort through (and then redirect in the software) As far as I'm concerned the program is totally unusable in HD, though it doesnt crash, and I have used it to cut some SD footage. It does that. For HD - forget it. Its a disaster.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There does seem to be a dearth of both Transitions and Effects on the Mac-side of things. To date, I have not seen any reason offered for this. It puzzles me greatly, and I'm on PC.

As for other Mac-specific issues, as I mentioned in another thread, it seems that Snow Leopard has not been a good OS. Apples is supposed to be working on an update. Maybe it will fix issues. Also, Adobe is working to release CS4.2, so there might be some good news there too.

For our Mac-brothers, here's hoping!

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Antinet,

Let me try to help you out here.

Antinet wrote:

I bought Premiere as part of the production premium thinking I was getting something decent for the mac. Wow, was I wrong. NO HD QT export. I mean ZERO.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  I can export to any codec I can see on my Mac system.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?  Maybe it's presets you want/need?  If so, I'd love to get your input on the most critical ones we need to add.

I dont know what the point of capturing HD is, if I cant transfer it.

Capturing HD on QT depends on what you have in the system.  In this case, I would probably recommend some hardware card if you want to capture something other than HDV.  Transfering it should be easy once you have captured it.

NO preview during capture, something even iMovie does.

You got me there.  It's something that has totally been requested and we know it.

A pathetic number of transitions, like about 33% of the number of the PC version.

I don't know the exact number but I'm positive that it isn't 1/3 of the PC version.  When we went back to the Mac platform, we had to make some sacrifices and part of that was taking a long hard look at the effects list and not doing the ones that we thought most people wouldn't use.  So, the ones that are most important are definitely there.  Color Correction? There. Auto this that adn the other thing? There.  Basic dissolve transitions? there.  Gradient wipe? Check. and so on.  If there's a couple that we should have done, I'd be curious to know which ones.

Mind-boggling file management system that doesnt isolate individual projects, but throws everythig into a pile you have to sort through (and then redirect in the software) As far as I'm concerned the program is totally unusable in HD, though it doesnt crash, and I have used it to cut some SD footage. It does that. For HD - forget it. Its a disaster.

Media Management is a complex subject and one that I can't get into here.  Suffice it to say that there are a couple of approaches to doing it and we've clearly chosen one path thus far.  I think that if you take a look at the project trimmer and give it another look, you might find it a little more to your liking.  Tell me what you're used to using, how it works and why you'd like it.

Hope this helps a bit -

Dennis

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

Thanks. We PC-guys try to help, but are at a real disadvantage. We have PrPro 1 - 2, that was PC-only, but that does not help the Mac-folk much, as of CS3, and now CS4.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                          pskyler

Maybe you can help me then... I have premier Pro CS4 on my mac and I cant get the HVD preset to show up... adobe has been no help so far..yes it is new and yes it is registered. actually I teach a class with 20 computers and all work good except 4 of them with no HDV preset...any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

• 10. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                            dradeke Adobe Employee

Phil,

Assuming you're up on CS4.2 - can you give me some idea of what your systems are, whats in them and a screen shot of a new sequence dialog box that doesn't show any HDV folder?

All of this would help us to help you.

Best,

Dennis

• 11. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                              pskyler Level 1

Thank youhere are some scree shots of out imac systems (new 12 months ago)ThanksPhil

• 12. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                dradeke Adobe Employee

Is it me or am I not seeing anything here?

Dennis

• 13. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                  pskyler Level 1

Here are my screen shots attached...thanks for the helpPhil

• 14. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                    dradeke Adobe Employee

I don't see them here.  Maybe use the "insert image" button which looks like a camera?

Thanks,

Dennis

• 15. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Unfortunately Dennis, the joys of Jive have introduced quite a lot of anomalies in the forum software. If I were very sarcastic, I would say it mimics Adobe updates, break what was not broken.

Now we have random carriage returns mess up posts, the camera icon that no longer works, quotes that are great in the preview but when posted get all kinds of crap inserted, HTML views that are full of rubbish, etc.

Just look here:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Maybe use the "insert image" button which looks like a camera?
                                      • 16. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                        pskyler Level 1

Here they are

• 17. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Any chance those computers once had the trial installed?  Or even upgraded to the full version from the trial?

-Jeff

• 18. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                            pskyler Level 1

No...we upgraded the classroom from cs3 this past september

Thanks

also....

Does anyone know..I have about 3 minutes of footage in Premier Pro CS4 and I use the Dynamic Link to put the footage in AE to do my Key...when I go back to Premiere the footage plays back ultra slow but the audio is un- affected.. Do I need to render Sequence to fix this? When I do That, It takes forever to render this 3 min clip (like 25 min) am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone

• 19. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac

From Colin Brougham in another thread:

The missing presets indicate that either the 4.1 or 4.2 update broke your installation of Premiere, and you'll have to uninstall everything, run the CS4 Clean Script, and reinstall. This is the second update in a row that does this, and Adobe seems reluctant to fix the problem. For some reason, when installing the updates on certain systems, the program reverts to a pseudo-trial mode--it's just happened to me AGAIN (I just checked, and I have no presets either, and no MPEG import capability), and I've never had the trial installed.

This is the same action that I would have recommended had you said that the trial was installed at some point.

As for the Dynamic Link issue, you're not doing anything wrong.  DL has to wait for AE to render the frames before it hands them off to Pr.  Rendering from inside Pr will create preview files on your hard disk that should play back in real time after that.

-Jeff

• 20. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                                pskyler Level 1

ok...what is the CS4 clean Script? on Mac.... and do I just move the program to trash to do a full uninstall?

Thanks

• 22. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                                  pskyler Level 1

Ok!...Thank you so much..this worked! PhilI do have other questions...hope you don't mind...it's the rendering thing again... when I am using AE to key out my green screen.  I know there is no preset in Pr for keying on the mac (only pc) very weird! anyway,, the only way to get a good key is using AE and when I do it makes my short 2 min video almost un-workable in Pr...the sound plays back fine but the video is all slow..and if I go to render the time line, it takes like more than an hour to render a 2min video..any ideas for me?...again thanks for all the helpPhil

• 23. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

A faster computer will help.

• 24. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac

Dynamic Link can be a processing bottleneck.  DL is usually best used in situations where you expect to making a lot of changes in AE, not Pr.  Once you're happy with the results from AE but still have a lot of editing to do in Pr, you may save yourself some time by rendering an intermediate file out of AE and using that to replace the dynamically-linked AE comp.

-Jeff

• 25. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                                        lucasgood

Jeff Bellune wrote:

From Colin Brougham in another thread:

The missing presets indicate that either the 4.1 or 4.2 update broke your installation of Premiere, and you'll have to uninstall everything, run the CS4 Clean Script, and reinstall. This is the second update in a row that does this, and Adobe seems reluctant to fix the problem. For some reason, when installing the updates on certain systems, the program reverts to a pseudo-trial mode--it's just happened to me AGAIN (I just checked, and I have no presets either, and no MPEG import capability), and I've never had the trial installed.

This is the same action that I would have recommended had you said that the trial was installed at some point.

As for the Dynamic Link issue, you're not doing anything wrong.  DL has to wait for AE to render the frames before it hands them off to Pr.  Rendering from inside Pr will create preview files on your hard disk that should play back in real time after that.

-Jeff

Jeff

Can you link me to the forum that your quote was originally posted in?  Also, if I do a cleanScript and reinstall my CS4 suite, should I then avoid the 4.1 and 4.2 updates so as to avoid the same problem again?

• 26. Re: Premiere CS4 on a  Mac
                                                          pskyler Level 1

It's here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

no...I did the re-install and it worked..I then updated and it was still fine