5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 8:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Splitting project to burn to DVD?

sirthx

Greetings. I finished a project in Elements 3.0 and wound up at 10G+ of data. I'd like to burn to 2 DVDs to maximize image quality so can you tell me how to split the project in half?? I've snooped around in the Elements user guide but came up empty. Did I miss something?

Thanks very much for any direction.

-M

• 1. Re: Splitting project to burn to DVD?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Utilization of the WAB (Work Area Bar) to Export to DV-AVI in segments would be the way to go. You would then Import these "segments" into new Projects to burn to DVD-Video.

Now, 10GB of DV-AVI, when compressed to MPEG-2, will easily fit onto a DVD-9 (DL). Have you considered that?

If your 10GB is for the MPEG-2, you will be looking at 3x DVD-5's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Splitting project to burn to DVD?
            sirthx Level 1

Well I did try a dual-layer DVD but just as the dvd was finishing it's burn I received an error message stating something to the effect of 'insufficient memory' despite the fact that I have ot set to 'fit to available space'.  So I burned a couple 4-5g DVDs of different projects to make sure it wasn't a PC burner issue.  I tried multiple times but with similar results.  So I just figured I'd split it up for the time being and deal with the memory issue later.

Any thoughts?  And thanks so much for the reply.

-Mike

• 3. Re: Splitting project to burn to DVD?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I received an error message stating something to the effect of 'insufficient memory' despite the fact that I have ot set to 'fit to available space'.

This is most likely an error regarding your system resources, and not disc space.

What is the amount of free disc space that you have on your HDD's. That would be the first place to look. PrE (and any NLE), needs much more disc space, than the size of the files - much more.

Next, this ARTICLE might help you get the most from your computer, with PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Splitting project to burn to DVD?
                sirthx Level 1

Thanks again very much.  I can move a bunch of large files to an external drive and see if that solves the problem.  I'll give it a go. :-)

• 5. Re: Splitting project to burn to DVD?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The housekeeping would be a good idea. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that PrE needs about 5x the space for the export file size, and even more for a burn to DVD. The working files are very large. Some day I need to look at a typical Project and chart the HDD usage, until it's done. Those figures could be very light.

Good luck,

Hunt