8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 6:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7

bananapuppy

I recently got Adobe Premiere Elements 7.

When I try to add a soundtrack or even audio track, I drag the clip to where I want it, but when I hit play, there is no audio. The volume is up on my speakers and on the program, and the audio works fine when I am simply sampling one of the files on SmartSound. It is just when I try to add a SmartSound clip or an MP3 clip from my own audio collection that it does not play. The video clip plays, and it says the audio is playing, but I hear nothing. It also does not play when I double click the audio file to preview the track.

I hope I am just missing something obvious... I am pretty new at Premiere Elements.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Ari

• 1. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ari,

Welcome to the forum.

You managed to post into the FAQ section, and Steve will probably move this out to the main forum, so don't be surprised if it shows up elsewhere.

Now, you have Imported existing SmartSound WAV files into PrE 7, and also some MP3 files too. When you look at these files in Project Panel, and Dbl-click on them, do they Open in the Source Monitor and play?

MP3 files can be highly problematic. This is often because many have things like embedded album art, and similar. The SmartSound .WAV files should not have any problem at all.

Please let us know about how these files behave in the Source Monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
            bananapuppy Level 1

They do open and show that they are playing in the source monitor, but I don't hear anything from them, whether it is a SmartSound or MP3. Everything looks normal, there are just no sounds as soon as I add them to the project. Also, I hadn't noticed this before, but none of my video clips play with sound either- this doesn't bother me so much, but I figure it might be worth mentioning.

Thanks so much!

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:53:24 -0600

To: 1stblackwhimsie@live.com

Subject: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7

Ari,

Welcome to the forum.

You managed to post into the FAQ section, and Steve will probably move this out to the main forum, so don't be surprised if it shows up elsewhere.

Now, you have Imported existing SmartSound WAV files into PrE 7, and also some MP3 files too. When you look at these files in Project Panel, and Dbl-click on them, do they Open in the Source Monitor and play?

MP3 files can be highly problematic. This is often because many have things like embedded album art, and similar. The SmartSound .WAV files should not have any problem at all.

Please let us know about how these files behave in the Source Monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Two things to try:

1) Open the Audio Mixer by clicking on the Audio Mix button on the timeline. As play your clip, see if the colored "level" bars are indicating sound on your audio files. (Also, look at your clips on the timeline and ensure that the audio clips have good, strong waveforms through them.)

If this is the case and you know for a fact that your speakers are turned on and working (You'd be surprised how often they aren't), then:

2) In Premiere Elements go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click on the ASIO Settings button. Ensure in the ASIO settings that the program is configured to play audio through the hardware you have installed (i.e., that the audio is going through the speaker outputs to which your speakers are plugged in).

• 4. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For a look at both the Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware & the ASIO Settings, this will give you an idea. Obviously, the selections here are for my laptop, so your might differ.

ASIO Settings 02.jpg

Good luck, and did you update your audio driver? Those can die horribly, and PrE will not function with them, though other Sounds programs will work.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
                  bananapuppy Level 1

HAH! That last part solved it! Thank you sooo much!

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:09:01 -0600

To: 1stblackwhimsie@live.com

Subject: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7

Two things to try:

1) Open the Audio Mixer by clicking on the Audio Mix button on the timeline. As play your clip, see if the colored "level" bars are indicating sound on your audio files. (Also, look at your clips on the timeline and ensure that the audio clips have good, strong waveforms through them.)

If this is the case and you know for a fact that your speakers are turned on and working (You'd be surprised how often they aren't), then:

2) In Premiere Elements go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click on the ASIO Settings button. Ensure in the ASIO settings that the program is configured to play audio through the hardware you have installed (i.e., that the audio is going through the speaker outputs to which your speakers are plugged in).

>

• 6. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    HAH! That last part solved it! Thank you sooo much!

Great news! I am glad that you got it sorted.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
                      Dana_US

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.... This is the first time that I have used my upgraded Pre Element and I was freaking out because the music wasn't playing.....I haven't ever had a problem with my old software.  You trick worked and now I will make my deadline.

Blessings to you

• 8. Re: Audio Problems? Premiere Elements 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and glad that it worked for you.

Often with a patch/update, some setting get changed. Usually, preferences in Adobe products "stick," but sometimes the code is different enough, that they cannot be applied, as before.

When I patch/upgrade, I always go to my Edit>Preferences and look for changes.

Good luck,

Hunt