4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 3:38 AM by Cara Bereck Levy

RH8: .ssl layouts are GONE

Cara Bereck Levy Level 1
      RoboGurus and RoboWizards, how I hope you can help me....
      Current status: I spent hours building .ssl for Printed documentation. This morning, when I opened my project, they were gone. They are in the Project folder...but they are gone, gone, gone from the SSL pod.
      So are my build tags.
      I have regenerated both .cpd and .xpj...no dice.
      I am in despair.
      The .ssl functionality is one of the major reasons I decided to stick with RH.
      History: When I upgraded from RH5 to 8, my .ssl files all disappeared--again, they were still in the project folder, but RH did not 'see' them.
      Some of you fine folk did try to help me...but to no avail :-( and in the end, I decided to simply rebuild them.
      And now they are gone again...and I am about to tear my hair out by the roots--I told my boss that I'd have updated .pdf manuals, and that once I set up the process, generating them at any time to update content would be a snap...but, right now, it seems I lied....

Cara Bereck Levy
      Technical Publications
      Unitronics
      Tel: 972-3-9778888
      Fax: 972-3-9778877
      email: cara.levy@unitronics.com
      http://www.unitronics.com

----------------------------------------
      A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

Frank Zappa

• 1. Re: RH8: .ssl layouts are GONE
          Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

Did only your custom layouts disappear, or all layouts, inluding the Robo standard layouts?

If all your layouts are gone, it might be your xpj, but since you remade it, it's probably not in that.

About your custom layouts, the layouts from your projects are stored in rhlayout.apj. This is basically a xml file, so you should be able to add the layouts manually with a editor like notepad. (Backup your files though, I've never tried this with layouts.)

The conditional build tags are stored in rhbuildtag.apj. This is also a kind of xml file and I copy this file between projects to keep the build tags the same. If you have a copy of the file, just paste it over the file in your project. You can also add build tags manually with a editor.

Hope this helps.

Greet,

Willam

• 2. Re: RH8: .ssl layouts are GONE
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Go to the root of your project in Windows Explorer. Note the exact name of one of the .SSL files, case, spaces etc. (Press F2 and then CTRL C to get it in the clipboard, without the file extension).

Go to the SSL pod and right click to create a new layout. Select whichever type you grabbed above. Paste the name in and see if it has all the correct properties.

If that works, repeat dosage as required.

Same with build tags.

The thing not to do is delete the XPJ.

Post back how that goes.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

• 3. Re: RH8: .ssl layouts are GONE
              Cara Bereck Levy Level 1

Thanks--I will look into this...assuming I manage to exit, alive, the meeting I am about to enter...

I have never messed about with the .apj files.

Cara Bereck Levy (why do these things happen at the worst possible time

Technical Publications

Unitronics

• 4. Re: RH8: .ssl layouts are GONE
                Cara Bereck Levy Level 1

Peter.

You are a genius. A RoboGuru through and through.

It seems to work. I will go through them all and see if this is so...if not, I'll be back to complain

The funny thing is that I tried  this when I transferred from RH5 to RH8it did not workI guess the delta in the xpj was too much to handle?

Cara Bereck Levy (Late for her meeting )

Technical Publications

Unitronics