2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 8:24 AM by the_wine_snob

premier loosing assets/ missing assets

ppahpp

I have been using premier pro cs3 for a while. The pc im using hasn't got a big enough hard drive so use an external one, that is used on other machines. This is to store my assets & premier files ect. But i have found randomly that premier has started loosing the asset locations, without them being moved and it is a pain in the neck inputing the location of each file back in, even though they are organised and most in the same folder.

Is there a way for me to stop it from loosing them?

Is there a way to get it to update the locations quickly?

Also, some of the older premier folders are on the normal hard drive and are soon going to be moved onto an external one; premier files, assets ect.

The idea is just to keep the same folders in the same organisation but on a different drive.

Is there an easy/quick way to do this without premier getting confused and looking in the old location for the assets?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: premier loosing assets/ missing assets
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First, get some (at least 2) additional internal SATA disks. Second, make sure the drive letter of your external remains constant. Use for instance X for eXternal. Then tell Adobe, when asked, where the files are. Repeat for all files in different subdirectories. Save the project and next time Adobe will find them automatically.

• 2. Re: premier loosing assets/ missing assets
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One addition to Harm's suggestion. If the external is used on multiple PC's, you will want to assign it the same drive letter in the OS of each machine. Then, put a peelable label on that external, so that you know it's your "X" drive, or whatever.

I swap dozens of externals between machines and just started with "Z," working back up the alphabet. Unfortunately, on my workstation with many internal HDD's, I did run out of letters that I could use, so I had to start back with "Z," and call those "Z1," etc. I know that I cannot get the correct drive letters if I plug in both Z and Z1, but the labels keep me honest.

Good luck,

Hunt