2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 7:01 AM by andymaw

Help with Navigation and Transitions

andymaw

Hi,

I hope I'm not stating the blindingly obvious here but I'm really struggling with this. Been trying to teach myself how to do this over the past couple of days but to no avail.

This is what I have so far.... (working with AS3)
      http://www.andymawdesign.co.uk/amdflash3test.html

My problem is trying to code the menu:
      I've managed to get the services link to do what I'm after but that is because it is positioned straight after the opening animation in the timeline - that is to have the banner fade out and the bottom line drop down to allow room for the content.

From the home page I want each of the links, when clicked, to fade out the banner and drop the banner line down......THEN.......if home is clicked from any of the other pages I want the banner line to move back up and the banner to resume (in my case this is frame 279)

I'll stop there, I really hope this isn't as confusing to someone else as it has been to me! Is it something to do with variables?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help with Navigation and Transitions
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to use the timeline for the animations then you'll have to create sectional pieces that rely on conditionals for their travel plans.  For instance, you would have a navgiation variable that identifies your new destination when a button gets clicked...

The home section could involve a fade in transition to display it, and a fade out which when complete is directed to the line moving down section.  When the line moving down completes, it tests the navigation variable to see where it has to go, and that destination is the fade in of another section.

So if you click to go to another section, the current section plays thru its fadeout and then tests to see where its going... if the navigation variable says it's going to another non-home section, then it jumps to the frame where that section fades in.  If it it going back to the home page, then after it fades out it goes to a section for the line moving up, which goes back to the fade in of the home section when the line finishes moving up.

• 2. Re: Help with Navigation and Transitions
            andymaw Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. I think I understand what you are saying but I have to admit I have no idea of how to put it into practice.

On the home page this is about as far as I've got codewise

import flash.events.MouseEvent;

home.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, homeClick);

function homeClick(e:MouseEvent):void{
            gotoAndPlay("279");
            }

services.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, servicesClick);

function servicesClick(e:MouseEvent):void{
            gotoAndPlay("services");
            }

Are there any other methods for this by the way?