Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Help re text boxes

Former Community Member

Can i have a text box within a form that can expand to accommodate the content and so push the rest of the form down and possibly over to another page?? if this is gobbledygook, sorry Example if  after the section : "Equipment will be used"  it could go on for 1 line or 2 pages but the rest of the form need to retain format?? i.e. footers and any other notes below the expanding box and could page numbers continue?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Shaun

Try the following steps to test...

Copy the data file (expand.xml) to a folder
Launch LiveCycle Designer ES and open the ExpandField.pdf form
Select the "Data View" palette and Right Click on "DataConnection"
Select "Connection Properties"
Click "Next"
Browse to the location where you saved the "expand.xml" file
Click "Finish"

Also, confirm the following..

File > Form Properties > Preview > Preview Type > Interactive Form

To view the form with data, select the "Preview PDF" tab

Regards

Steve

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Former Community Member

No problem, you can do what you want to do with a dynamic PDF form built with LC Designer.

I have attached a simple sample form with test data.

Regards

Steve

Former Community Member

Thank for the help, what you have sent makes sense!, I’ve tried to make it work but I’m obviously an  idiot and for the life of me can’t make it work.

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Shaun

Try the following steps to test...

Copy the data file (expand.xml) to a folder
Launch LiveCycle Designer ES and open the ExpandField.pdf form
Select the "Data View" palette and Right Click on "DataConnection"
Select "Connection Properties"
Click "Next"
Browse to the location where you saved the "expand.xml" file
Click "Finish"

Also, confirm the following..

File > Form Properties > Preview > Preview Type > Interactive Form

To view the form with data, select the "Preview PDF" tab

Regards

Steve

Former Community Member

Thanks steve,  could have a look at my Pdf? I only need section 4,5,7 and 9 to flow! I'll have to look around for a LiveCycle training centre! some 1 on 1 needed i think, doh!

Former Community Member

I'll take a look at it as soon as I have a chance.

Steve

Former Community Member

Thanks Steve, you are a star, it may make more sense if I can see it in my own document, again, thanks

Former Community Member

Shaun

I have posted a slightly modfied version of your form.  I have started to fix section 4 and 5 as an example, but for this form to work properly you will need to do a lot of clean up.  It appears that the form may have been created by importing another file format.  I say this because there is a huge number of objects (rectangles) that are used to create lines, and multiple static text objects are used to create single lines of text etc...

You need to go through the form design an delete all unnecessary objects, combine the text objects, and replace the multiple rectangle objects that are used to define the borders (i.e. the outside border of the form) with a single rectangle object.

In all honesty, it may be faster to redesign the form from scratch.

Regards

Steve

Former Community Member

Steve Thanks for at least having a look! Like I say I may need to book some training. Regards Shaun

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----