5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2009 7:02 PM by Bill@VT RSS

Acrobat Professional 9 - Reader Extensions - EULA

Ryan Evo

Hey all,

I work in the IT department for a credit union and I'm researching ways to simplify some of our document signing workflows. We have quite a few forms in PDF format and the current process is to have an MSR fill out the info, print it, and have the member sign it and then it's interoffice'd to a scan group. I want to enable digital signatures on the forms so the member can sign it with one of our Topaz sig pads and the MSRs can electronically import the form into our storage solution (OnBase). The MSRs will have Adobe Reader installed on their machines. I need to know if this configuration falls within the Acrobat 9 EULA for Reader Extensions since it's an internal form that will be used by way less than 500 employees, but will be signed by thousands of CU members at the branches. Staff will always have "control" of this form and it will not be available externally. The only interaction by members is for the signature. Purchasing LiveCycle is currently NOT an option. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Acrobat Professional 9 - Reader Extensions - EULA
          ~graffiti ACP/MVPs

I would suggest handing the EULA over to the banks attorney (s).

Technically, since the members would be doing the signing, I would say that you are outside of the usage that the EULA intends. If you had less than 500 people using it, I believe they are not limited to the amount of times THEY use it but that doesn't seem to be the case.

At any rate, I would go the attorney route. There are various opinions in here on the actual meaning of the EULA and not a one of them will help you if you are taken to court.

• 2. Re: Acrobat Professional 9 - Reader Extensions - EULA
            Bill@VT MVP

I fully agree with graffiti. The EULA seems to give some leeway, but in your case with a bank the legal opinion of the wording may be critical. Of course the legal guys may need some help from IT folks in terms of some meanings. However, let them do the interpretations. Your business is too critical to get in a legal battle over the use.

• 3. Re: Acrobat Professional 9 - Reader Extensions - EULA
              Ryan Evo Community Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping to get some preliminary opinions, a response from a company rep that already uses the Reader Extensions in a similar manner, or a response from an Adobe employee on the interpretation of the EULA. In the end, I will turn it over to legal but it's always nice to have a spring board of information. Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Acrobat Professional 9 - Reader Extensions - EULA
                Bill@VT MVP

The way the EULA reads, if the form is not being submitted there is not a limit as I read it. However, I guess there may be an issue of what one would call submission. I think we are both saying your application is in a gray area and to be safe you really need a legal opinion - something we are not comfortable or qualified giving. Maybe someone else will drop by that is using the form in a similar manner and has already addressed the legal issues.

• 5. Re: Acrobat Professional 9 - Reader Extensions - EULA
                  ~graffiti ACP/MVPs

Bill@VT wrote:

However, I guess there may be an issue of what one would call submission.

Yup. That part isn't very clear. Submission could be what we traditionally think of when we set up a form so folks can "submit" the information (but not the actual form) or it could mean filling out the form, saving it and emailing it.

Tricky tricky.