2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 8:05 AM by gnashbar

help with combo boxes, using web service to display data in column chart

gnashbar

I'm trying to retrieve a record from a database based on the selection of two combo boxes.  I would then like this record returned and dynamically update my column chart based on the selections in the combo box.  I've got the combo boxes populated with some static ArrayCollection that I've included in the page but I can't figure out to get the data binding to work in the way that I want. 

• 1. Re: help with combo boxes, using web service to display data in column chart
          SunilAdobe Adobe Employee

Are you using the Bind To Data dialog to accomplish this?

Thanks

-Sunil

• 2. Re: help with combo boxes, using web service to display data in column chart
            gnashbar Level 1

Sunil,

I'm attempting to use the data binding technique but I'm perhaps not understanding exactly where this should go.  For now I'm fine with having a static array that just lives locally on the page.   Each of my combo boxes are being populated using the

mx:Array --> mx:Object logic. 

I need to fire off an event to a function that is able to determine which selection(s) from the combination of the two combo boxes were chooses.  I'm accomplishing that by using selectedIndex property of the combo boxes id.  I then have 'n' number of unique Array Collections that are basically a three dimensional array containing the numeric percentage that I need to display graphically.  I need my function to be able to choose the appropriate Collection based on the combination of selected index(es) and then update my column chart accordingly. 

My other confusion is how to do use my data binding at the chart level.  So my page is really nothing more than two combo boxes and chart that I need to change dynamically as the selections in the combo boxes changes.  Eventually I will use a webservice to connect to a .jsp page that is using DAO to retrieve the values from the database but right now I'm fine with fetching them locally just so I'll know I'm on the right track. 

If it would help I can include the snippet of the code that I'm working on.

Thanks for your help

-->Nash