5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 10:50 AM by A.T. Romano

File not recognised or codec not installed - Adobe Premier Elements

rachel noble

Am very new to this software only other experience of adobe being photoshop.  Trying to get to grips with the software but seriously struggling at first hurdle.  I have a sony dvd camcorder not high defination and can't seem to get the media onto elements - keep getting error message above.  Some of the files manage to appear but they are all distorted. The files are MPEG files and I have followed all advice on previous messages, have installed quicktime and checked out g-spot and all files have codec installed.  Can play files in windows media player with no problems.  The only thing I can think of is that I am connecting my camera via the usb port and the instructions recommend using a firewall port.  Neither my computer or camcorder have a firewall port so I am stuck as what to try next.  Any advice welcome.  Thanks

• 1. Re: File not recognised or codec not installed - Adobe Premier Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You should be able to connect your camera via USB and Copy your files from the camera's HHD to your computer's HDD. Then, create a Project Setting for a HDD camera (PAL, or NTSC), and in the Get Media Tab, navigate to where you Copied your files. That should Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File not recognised or codec not installed - Adobe Premier Elements
            rachel noble Level 1

Hi there thanks for advice have managed to get my first set of files into elements! Got a few files though that are a little distorted in places which is not happening in windows media player.  Had no error message though this time when importing and 95% of frames are viewing fine.  Any ideas?

thanks again

rachel

• 3. Re: File not recognised or codec not installed - Adobe Premier Elements
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rachel,

Can you put one of the "distorted" Clips onto the Timeline, with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) over it, so that it appears in the Program Monitor, and do a screen-cap? Hint: use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the Toolbar to attach that file.

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

That might help others recognize the issue and then help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: File not recognised or codec not installed - Adobe Premier Elements
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>files are MPEG

NOT HighDef mpeg files are meant to be viewed, not edited (HighDef mpeg files are altogether different)

Try converting to DV AVI Type 2 with 48khz sound and see what happens

• 5. Re: File not recognised or codec not installed - Adobe Premier Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rachel

I am very confused with the answers that you have gotten to your question. So, all, show me the error of my ways as I respond to what I think Rachel asked.

Rachel, you say that you are working with a Sony DVD Camcorder. DVD Camcorder's record to a DVD disc in the camcorder, not to a hard drive in the camcorder (like in Hard Drive Camcorder). So this is the typical scenario for getting your video into Premiere Elements in that situation. You did not mention what version of Premiere Elements that you are using, so I will assume Premiere Elements 7 for now.

Place your DVD disc from the camcorder in your computer's DVD burner drive tray. Open Premiere Elements 7, Get Media, and the the category "DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)". In the Media Downloader that opens use the Advanced Form of the dialog to import the VOBs from the DVD disc into Premiere Elements that is set with a project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen, depending the camcorder setting for standard or widescreen. (Use the PAL counterpart if you are in a PAL region).

That works for most users quality wise. For some it does not. Then the typical route is to use the free program MPEG Streamclip to convert the DVD content to DV AVI. Then you bring the DV AVI verison into Premiere Elements (project preset as described above) with Get Media/Files & Folders.

http://www.squared5.com/

That is it.

If other than that, please go into further detail brand and model of camcorder as well as version of Premiere Elements in use.

ATR