Problem: Jerky Motion of MP4 file

Adobe Production Suite CS4

Windows XP Pro SP3

I have the following composition:

Composition: 1280x720 HDV/HDTV 720 29.97 square pixel

Layer: 4288x2848 jpeg image

Duration: 15 seconds

I slowly rotate the image.

In AE, it plays smoothly using the space bar.

I render as

Container:  MP4 file

Codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Size: 1280 x 720

kbps: 6176

Frames/s: 29.97

GSpot says the created MP4 file looks like the following:

Codec: avc1

Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Container: mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]; - mp41: MP4 v1 [ISO 14496-1:ch13]

Recommended Display Size: 1280 x 720

kbps: 6176

Frames/s: 29.97

Pics/s: 29.97

I play the file in Adobe Media, QuickTime, and Real Players.

The motion is very jerky.

The time progression bar moves in stops and spurts.

I created a new MP4 file with kbps: 13,000.

It was also jerky.

I created an AVI file, it plays smoothly.

Any idea how to correct this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
          yenaphe Level 4

What are the specs of your computer ?

CPU, Gpu, ram and gfx card ?

• 2. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
            Petrula Level 1

Adobe Production Suite CS4

Windows XP Pro SP3

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

CPU: Pentium IV 2.53 GHz

RAM: 3GB

ATI Radean 7200 Series AGP

Graphics Chipset: RADEON 7200 SERIES 

Current Bus Setting: AGP 4X           

Memory Size:  32 MB

DAC: Internal DAC (350MHz)

Memory Type: DDR SGRAM / SDRAM     

Core Clock in MHz: 164 MHz          

Memory Clock in MHz: 164 MHz

BIOS Version: 001.001.000.055       

BIOS Part Number: 113-73701-101  

BIOS Date: 2000/08/28         

• 3. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Are you rendering from the Render Queue using one of the H264 presets or are you using the File > Export command?

• 4. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
                Petrula Level 1

These are the Render Queue H.264 preset values.

<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
                <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 4.2.2-c063 53.351735, 2008/07/22-18:11:12        ">
                   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
                      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
                            xmlns:xmpDM="http://ns.adobe.com/xmp/1.0/DynamicMedia/"
                            xmlns:stDim="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/Dimensions#">
                         <xmpDM:videoFrameSize rdf:parseType="Resource">
                            <stDim:w>1280</stDim:w>
                            <stDim:h>720</stDim:h>
                            <stDim:unit>pixel</stDim:unit>
                         </xmpDM:videoFrameSize>
                         <xmpDM:videoFrameRate>29.000000</xmpDM:videoFrameRate>
                         <xmpDM:videoFieldOrder>Progressive</xmpDM:videoFieldOrder>
                         <xmpDM:videoPixelAspectRatio>100/100</xmpDM:videoPixelAspectRatio>
                         <xmpDM:audioSampleRate>48000</xmpDM:audioSampleRate>
                         <xmpDM:audioSampleType>Compressed</xmpDM:audioSampleType>
                         <xmpDM:audioChannelType>Stereo</xmpDM:audioChannelType>
                      </rdf:Description>
                   </rdf:RDF>
                </x:xmpmeta>

• 5. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file

Oh, I see.

The thing is, H264 is a very, very efficient compression scheme. But that comes at a cost - H264 is extremely processor intensive for decoding.

A 2.5 Ghz Pentium IV may not have enough power to play H264 video at HD resolutions, and that may be the reason why you get jerky playback.

Other codecs may be a bit less efficient, but easier to handle for the CPU. For example, an On2 VP6-encoded FLV video file (the presets which mention "Flash 8" in their names) could be such a case. If you raise the data rate for local playback (the defaults are more optimized for web delivery) you should get decent quality and your computer should be able to cope.

• 6. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
                    Petrula Level 1

Thanks for the feedback about why H264 is jerky on my computer.

As you suggested,

I used the FLV preset to create two FLV files.

Codec: FLV4/VP62

Name: Flash/On2 VP6

kbps: 1699

kbps: 5409

Both files work much better than the H264 MP4 file.

The kbps:1699 file is a bit jerky.

The kbps:5409 file is more jerky.

Since the files are on my hard drive, I am not sure why the kbps:5409 is jerkier since that is the rate DVDs play 720x480 movies at. I would expect the kbps:1699 to be of poorer quality because of the lower bandwith.

Just so you know where I am heading. I want to place my 1280x720P HDV/HDTV 720 29.97 square pixel AE composition on Vimeo.

Vimeo recommends "using the H.264 codec at size 1280×720, bit rate 3000-5000 kbits/sec (optimized for “download”), key frame every 30 frames (frame reordering on), using whatever frame rate you shot in. For sound, use AAC at 128kbps in stereo."

By the way, there is a HD video on Vimeo called "FIA GT3 Video Battle" which GSpot says uses

Codec: avc1

Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Frames/s: 23.976

kbps: 1803

I downloaded it to my hard drive. On my computer, it is a slightly jerky but not too bad. Why my video using the same settings is so much jerkier than this video is unclear. Of course, as you explained, I cannot expect a H.264 codec to keep up with my slower computer. It is also unclear if I should Set Key Frame Distance to 30.

Is there a white paper or book that explains in detail the tradeoffs and recommendations for both HD web based and Blue Ray situations like this? Thanks again for your help.

• 7. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
                      Since the files are on my hard drive, I am not sure why the kbps:5409 is jerkier since that is the rate DVDs play 720x480 movies at. I would expect the kbps:1699 to be of poorer quality because of the lower bandwith.

Petrula: Common sense may seem to suggest that, but common sense is not the only thing there is to it

Data rate is hardly a direct meaure for this. DVDs use MPEG-2 compression, which is much, much lighter to decode in processing terms. it's of course less efficient as well.

Just so you know where I am heading. I want to place my 1280x720P HDV/HDTV 720 29.97 square pixel AE composition on Vimeo.

The good news is that the fact that your computer may not be able to keep up, doesn't mean that the H264 file you originally made won't work. Try uploading it, and if it still doesn't play smoothly from Vimeo, make sure you also try watching it in computer with a more recent CPU. Also, bear in mind that H264 files can be watched using different players, and perhaps one of these players manages to give you smoother playback. You can try the (current) Flash player, Quicktime player and also applications like VLC.

• 8. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
                        techsc

It is a container problem.

If you change the container 'mp41' to 'avc1' the file will play fine.

Use a hex editor  (like ultraedit) to change the container info manually.

Change the part "70 C4" into "E6 78". In all my files, this helped. Don't know if it will produce a valid mp4-file, but the play fine now.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 9. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
                          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Very interesting. Though I might still add anotehr warning: changing the stream flags may initialze the wrong decoding matrix and produce visual artifacts. So it's still something that should only be done, if all other solutions like using external converters to transcode/ convert to another MPEG flavor or a more conventional media format have failed. Still, great tip.

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Jerky Motion of MP4 file
                            techsc Level 1

You are right.

I am having these issues with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.

So I have been forced to buy the MainConcept MPEG Pro HD 4 for 150,- EUR.

From my current experience using their mp4-codec, the resulting file plays fine - more tests will have to come.