12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 10:26 AM by Muddlexxx6666

Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader

Kennycan2

The United States Postal Service uses Adobe Reader to print labels with their "Click 'n Ship", a great service. I recently installed Snow Leopard on my Mac and I can no longer print labels with USPS Click 'n Ship. Applecare suggested I reinstall Reader (didn't work), or try with Firefox (haven't tried it yet). If this is a glitch, it will effect thousands of people who use USPS services. But maybe I just need a plug in, or need to make some change in the Adobe Reader Preferences. Any help out there in cyberland? ---Ken

• 1. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
          alanancy1

Has anyone found a solution for this?

I am having the same problem.

• 2. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
            Kennycan2 Level 1

Yes, I have the solution which was suggested to me by the people at 

Applecare!  Use Firefox. It works perfectly and does all the things 

Safari won't, including printing the Click n Ship form. It's a little 

better browser all around.

Mozilla Firefox version 3.5.3 for the Mac is a fast and free download, 

and it will import all your bookmarks and settings from Safari. So now 

I use both, depending upon the circumstances.

Hope this helps you.

--Ken

• 3. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
              alanancy1 Level 1

Hey ken, Thanks for the effort. I am trying Firefox 3.5.3 but still 

won't work.

The problem is that for some reason it won't get to Adobe Reader.

I think the problem is with the Adobe Reader settings.

Thanks again for trying.

Alan

• 4. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                Kennycan2 Level 1

Alan,

I checked the Adobe preferences and they sure have a lot of choices!  

Since I did not change anything, I am assuming that the default 

settings are the ones that were on mine when it worked. It is strange 

to me that we could both have the identical hardware and software and 

this not work for you.

Since I have only done this once, I just tried it again to see if it 

would work. I created a shipping label and clicked on the "print 

sample label" and it came up just fine. Please note that the downloads 

window opens and downloads the pdf form 

("com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet"). When I did this the 

first time, I had to do something else ( I think it was a window where 

I had to choose the Adobe application, but I am not sure). It seems to 

have recorded something (perhaps in a cookie) because it was automatic 

this time.

Good luck and keep trying. You'll get it!

-Ken

• 5. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                  alanancy1 Level 1

Hi Ken thanks for all your effort.

If there is going to be something strange with a computer it is going 

to happen to me.

I have uninstalled Adobe and reinstalled several times. Just for yucks 

this is where I am now.

I get the message that the 

("com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet") has failed.

I get this in the download window. I then click on this and adobe 

starts and I can print.

So at least I am able to print which will get me by.

Later this week when Adobe's website is back up I will see if there is 

anything new in there.

Just to make things stranger I have the same software running in my 

MacBook and it works just fine.

I am only having this problem on the Imac.

Thanks again,

Alan

• 6. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                    Lew Austin

Hi,

I use Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and ever since I upgraded Adobe Reader I couldn't open PDF's.

After trying many suggestions on the internet and Adobe, my son (a Mac Software Developer Manager).

He figured it out.

It seems that when I upgraded Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat changed itself on PDF's to Read only and not Read Write.

Hence everytime I tried to open a PDF it would ask me that "Agree-Disagree" question thinking I was a non-admionistrator.

If I selected "Yes", I got "Internal Error" message.

Here's the steps to change it to Read & Write so Acrobat can set up the Reader Program that allow anyone using the computer

to open PDF's and use them:

1) Go to your user folder on your hard drive (ie: "lew").

2) Open Library/Application Support/ folder.

3) If there isn't an "Adobe" folder, create one now (go to File-->New Folder menu item) and name it "Adobe".

4) If there is an "Adobe" folder, right click on it and choose "Get Info". 

5) Expand the "Sharing & Permissions" area at the bottom of the info window.

6) Click the lock icon in the lower right of the window.  Enter your password in the dialog that appears.

7) For your username (ie: "lew") entry under "Name", make sure it says "Read & Write" to the right of it.  If your username isn't listed, make sure to the right of "everyone" it says "Read & Write".

Now Acrobat should launch properly when double clicked in the Finder as well as when viewing PDFs in Safari.

Hope this works for you and if it does, pass it on.

Lew

• 7. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                      Muddlexxx6666

I have a similar problem, but it affects all PDFs I want to download, and I use Firefox.

I have had Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and until recently had no problems. But a couple weeks ago, when I tried to download a PDF, I got a notice that I needed to install Read v. 10. I did and have been stymied ever since.

When I click on a site's PDF to download it (like, a copy of rules for a competition, for instance) Firefox opens a new tab that has the name of the PDF, but it is a blank white page. No PDF.

This has happened on several sites where I usually have successfully downloaded stuff on a weekly basis, newsletters and such. I have uninstalled and re-installed Reader several times to no luck. Any suggestions? I am not particularly technically skilled.

• 8. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                        Lew Austin Level 1

Hi,

I have Firefox but mainly use Safari

I was also getting a blank page when I tried to open a PDF.

It seemsI that when I downloaded the update version of Adobe Reader, it switched off the "Read & Write" back to just "Read".

if you go and get information on a PDF or Adobe  program (Command I), under "Open With" should say  Adobe Reader App  and at the left bottom where you'll see"Name" then below that,"everyone"-now just across you'll probably see "Read Only".(if you don't see this then go to step 5). This should be Read & Write so that Adobe Acrobat can create the Adobe Reader program to allow you to open and use a PDF.

If you have Adobe Reader 10.0 on your Apps, try going to step 5 below

1) Go to your user folder on your hard drive (ie: "lew").

2) Open Library/Application Support/ folder.

3) If there isn't an "Adobe" folder, create one now (go to File-->New Folder menu item) and name it "Adobe".

4) If there is an "Adobe" folder, right click on it and choose "Get Info". 

5) Expand the "Sharing & Permissions" area at the bottom of the info window. (click the triangle) so that  "system", "admin" and "everyone" appears.

6) Click the lock icon in the lower right of the window.  Enter your password in the dialog that appears.

Now you'll see various choices you can make and "Read & Write" is open of them.

7) For your username (ie: "lew") entry under "Name", make sure it says "Read & Write" to the right of it.  If your username isn't listed, make sure to the right of "everyone" it says "Read & Write".

Now Acrobat should launch properly when double clicked in the Finder as well as when viewing PDFs in Safari.

If this works please let me know

• 10. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                          Muddlexxx6666 Level 1

In desperation, I trashed Adobe Reader and the Firefox plugin. Then I tried again to download a pdf from a familiar site. This time it worked like a charm and downloaded in Acrobat (which I already had), despite saying right on the web site that Adobe Reader was needed.

So for the time being, I'm not even going to give Reader the time of day!

• 11. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                            Lew Austin Level 1

My son explained that Adobe Acrobat creates "the reader" used to open and read PDF's...

• 12. Re: Problem with snow leopard and adobe reader
                              Muddlexxx6666 Level 1

Aha! So the Acrobat software and the free-standing Reader program just sort of come to a standstill and neither works.

One might wonder why Adobe didn't just put an item in the Reader support area noting that. But then we'd miss the fun of uninstalling, reinstalling, tearing hair, throwing tantrums, etc..

Thank you to you and your son.