8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

conforming and indexing

KLINK48

I have PE7. When I load in a mpeg to edit, I see a loading bar that says conforming and indexing. What is conforming and indexing?

• 1. Re: conforming and indexing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When one Imports any AV Asset, except for a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio, these processes are normal. Even with that listed Audio, some Conforming will be needed to get to 32-bit floating point for editing. Also, the .PEK files will be generated. These are for the Waveform Display. With the Video, especially GOP media, the file must be internally converted to I-Frame, so that one can do Frame-specific editing.

Depending on the speed of one's machine, it's usually best to just relax, and let this happen. On some fast machines, work can be done, during this process, but it's apt to cause a program hang, especially if one attempts to do something with the file that is being Conformed, or Indexed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: conforming and indexing
            KLINK48 Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

When one Imports any AV Asset, except for a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio, these processes are normal. Even with that listed Audio, some Conforming will be needed to get to 32-bit floating point for editing. Also, the .PEK files will be generated. These are for the Waveform Display. With the Video, especially GOP media, the file must be internally converted to I-Frame, so that one can do Frame-specific editing.

Depending on the speed of one's machine, it's usually best to just relax, and let this happen. On some fast machines, work can be done, during this process, but it's apt to cause a program hang, especially if one attempts to do something with the file that is being Conformed, or Indexed.

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks for the info.

I am relaxed.

I just wondered what they were doing. I am also using VideoRedo Suite and was wondering if either conforming or indexing were similar to Quick Stream Fix in VRDS.

• 3. Re: conforming and indexing
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I am also using VideoRedo Suite and was wondering if either conforming or indexing were similar to Quick Stream Fix in VRDS.

I cannot comment on this, as I have never used VideoRedo. It could be the same, or similar, or something totally different.

I am glad that you can "sleep" tonight.

Just for info, the Conformed files are .CFA's, and those Waveform Display files are .PEK's. If one deletes these, and then relaunches PrE and loads that Project, they will be redone.

Hunt

• 4. Re: conforming and indexing
                whsstudent

Does the Conforming process happen every time you open and close a project or just when you import new footage, exc..

• 5. Re: conforming and indexing
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It should only need to happen when you first add the media to your project.

• 6. Re: conforming and indexing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, it SHOULD only happen upon Import, but one MUST let it complete.

However, some have had issues with re-Conforming, if the Assets are Moved, Renamed, on a network drive/NAS, or on some USB externals. Also, it seems that something in Win7-64 can cause the files to be lost, and the process repeats.

Also, with Windows Indexing turned on, it often locks the very large CFA files, so that PrE cannot access them, and then just does the Conforming all over again. Windows Indexing can cause other issues in an NLE (Non Linear Editing) program, and I keep it turned off on all of my machines.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: conforming and indexing
                      whsstudent Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the info. My students sometimes use the footage directly from a network drive and also use items from their 16GB flash drives.  Perhaps I should have them running all files from the C: instead?

The student in particular filmed in HD (HD and HD camcorder) and I  was wondering if that and/or the way in which the project shell was CREATED could have something to do with it.

I'm thinking now that I will have the student copy al files to the C: drive (hidden someplace so no one else deletes it) and work from there.

Lastly, how would I turn off that Windows feature you were referring to?

• 8. Re: conforming and indexing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I use two different methods with my Projects. The choice is predicated on whether I will be "migrating" the Project to another computer, or if it will be finished on just one. For those, that will be migrated, I will set up everything on a FireWire 800 external HDD, with everything below my [Project Name] folder. I will do sub-folders for Video, Audio, Music, SFX, Stills, etc., and do Copies of my Assets into those. My original Assets (except for Captured files if they came from tape) stay on my NAS (Network Attached Storage), or elsewhere on my system. Since I do not reuse my tapes, I could always just Capture again, if something happened to those files. If I was shooting to Flash Memory, I would then archive the files from the camera, and maybe into two places. For Projects that will NOT be migrated, I use my H:\ on the workstation, and my D:\ on my laptop, to store everything. Both of these are internals.

If I plan on migrating, the FW-800 external will already have been assigned a unique drive letter in the OS of each computer, so that Z:\ shows up as Z:\ on all. No "Where is File XXXXX.AVI?" messages, as the Path is the same on all machines, and I do not Move, or Rename my files, after I get started. Though I move the external HDD around, it always shows with the same drive letter everywhere. This is very important, as the OS will likely assign different drive letters to an external, and can give you a different one, when the unit is attached and turned on.

On all of my Projects, I locate my Premiere Scratch Disks with the Project file, so that when I am done, I can delete the [Project Name] folder, and clean out all sub-folders with one click.

Though I am networked to four computers, I do not edit across the network, whether it on the wired gigabit node, or the wireless node. I have also found that trying to edit to/from a USB external has the potential for real issues - mainly read/write errors and corrupted files, plus they are so very slow. I tried FW-400 externals, and they were more stable, though not that much faster. They were still too slow for me. When the FW-800's came out, I realized that I have a viable, transportable device. Now, the eSATA's are common, and if I was not so heavily invested in the FW-800 units, I'd go with the eSATA's.

You mention the flash drives. Many users have had issues with them, along the lines of what I encountered with the USB externals. I still have USB and FW-400 externals, and use those ONLY for archiving Assets. When I need those, I just Copy the Assets to either one of my FW-800's, or to an internal HDD, and work from those Copies.

As for the Windows Indexing, it can be accessed from Windows Explorer/My Computer. If you Rt-click on a drive letter, and choose Properties, down near the bottom will be a checkbox, or radio button to turn Windows Indexing OFF. The exact location depends on one's OS. Also, the next dialog screen depends on the OS too. Normally, if one has turned OFF Indexing, they will then have the option of turning if OFF for the drive and ALL folders, or just certain folders. As I do not have a lot of DOC, TXT, WPD, etc., files, I just turn it OFF for the entire drive. Some will leave it on for certain folders to speed up Searches. I turn it totally OFF for all HDD's, both internal and external.

In an academic situation, things become a bit more difficult. Most Adobe programs really, want to be run on an Administrator account, and balk when one is doing work across a network. They are designed to function on a local level. With a computer lab, this is a bit of a problem, and I have filed Feature Requests with Adobe to accommodate that academic situation, though I am not a teacher. I recognize the need for security and know that most lab computers do not have all the internal HDD's that I do.

Good luck, and I hope that this helps,

Hunt