8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 10:47 PM by sfjedi

Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.

mec_os Level 4

the default makes perfect sense, but i'd like an option to reverse pen pressure per effect. for example for opacity, i would like no pressure to = full opacity and lot's of pressure to = no opacity, etc. that particular setting plus size pressure control would produce a thin dark brush stroke to a transparent large brush stroke. it would simply be awesome! ... and useful.

• 1. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
          sfjedi

At first, I was put off by this request. Why in the world would you want this? But your explanation is good. I've actually wanted a similar feature in the past because I didn't want to push the tablet pen so hard for 90% of my strokes, which were almost completely opaque.

• 2. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
            Level 7

Yeah, this has been on our "TODO" list for a while, we just haven't had time to get to it yet.

• 3. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
              Gabriel Z

Nice to hear

It would be very useful when painting and shouldn't it be quite easy to implement.

• 4. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
                Level 7

Until you work on the code for something the size of Photoshop, don't try to guess what's easy and what isn't.

We make a lot of things look easy, that really aren't that easy underneath.

• 5. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
                  sfjedi Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

Until you work on the code for something the size of Photoshop, don't try to guess what's easy and what isn't.

I think Gabriel's comment was missing a question mark. It seems to me he was more asking a question than making a statement that it should be easy.

As for me, I will continue to *guess* what's easy and what isn't because I think it's fun! And regardless of whether it's easy or not, this is a feature request forum for both easy requests and hard requests. Adobe should be thankful there are so many people willing to spare their valued time to submit feature requests at all! It's all about making a better product.

That said, feature requests like this this particular request *should* be relatively easy. If it's not, it probably has more to do with a weak foundation. Surely, it has to be easier than creating an entirely new tool!

Chris Cox wrote:

We make a lot of things look easy, that really aren't that easy underneath.

All hail Photoshop developers!

• 6. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
                    Gabriel Z Level 1

I think its great that some developer acctually listen to userfeedback

• 7. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
                      Level 7

I think Gabriel's comment was missing a question mark. It seems to me he was more asking a question than making a statement that it should be easy.

Ooops.  Guess it just rubbed me the wrong way that day.

Yes, it is easier than creating a new tool.   No, it's not trivial.  Part of the problem is that a high level UI choices would need to be propagated down to the low level code dealing with the tablet devices and into part of the paint rendering code that uses the tablet values.  It's quite doable, it's not just a quick change, and the testing will take a lot longer than the coding.

• 8. Re: Reverse Pen Pressure Effect.
                        sfjedi Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

It's quite doable, it's not just a quick change, and the testing will take a lot longer than the coding.

Everything is doable, but yeah I can see how this would get into the lower level code. That would always trigger the need for more testing. It's always good to know there is a testing process that goes along with it.