3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 1:24 AM by Mylenium

Saving files from CS4 to a network location

derrickmac

IIRC - I've got some artists that are having an issue in CS4 but not CS2 - when saving files that are on the file server, they get told the file is in use, and they have to save to a temporary file then move it outside of the application... any suggestions on this? Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving files from CS4 to a network location
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please be more specific? What server? What clients? What network setup? How are user profiles managed/ synced? How are permissions set up? Could be anything.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Saving files from CS4 to a network location
            derrickmac Level 1

ok so it's a standard windows environment, w2k8 servers, xp workstations, users have local admin access. What's happening, is you work on a scene, save it, it's fine. save again, it spits out the error:

after effects error: renaming filename -- file is busy (delete)(-47)

and I'm told by the artists that the if you look in the folder where you've working, the file lets say called test.aep, when saved, on the second save it gets renamed to a temp filename, then fails, you save again it saves it correctly, save again, it errors and creates a new temp file.

• 3. Re: Saving files from CS4 to a network location
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That sounds more like an issue with the server's file caching. I recommend you log on to the server, start the group policies editor and look for an Allow users to write files immediately option or whatever it may be called. Should effectively prevent the server from cahing the file first. also note, that if your users do not have dedicated user names and they all are logged on as Admin or User 1, User 2 and so on, it may still cause issues. If they're not already doing so, I'd advise them to use a dedicated user name. Also makes it easier to keep track of who modifiied files...

Mylenium