6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2007 1:43 PM by Newsgroup_User

Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?

Steve-0_the_newbie
      Hi Everyone, I'm new and glad to be here!

Im trying to get started. I've done up my page in photoshop but I dont know what type of programming to use. I am not code saavy, I'm expecting Dreamweaver to take care of that for me. I'm just not sure about the pros and cons of each of these or which is best to use. We're talking basics here, no database, no flash, just an informative website.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve
        • 1. Re: Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?
          Level 7
          > Im trying to get started. I've done up my page in photoshop but I dont
          > know
          > what type of programming to use. I am not code saavy, I'm expecting
          > Dreamweaver
          > to take care of that for me.

Don't, cause it won't. At least not in any viable manner.

> Any help would be appreciated.

HTML = basic building blocks of the web. Learn that before you even learn
          Dreamweaver.
          CSS = what makes the HTML look pretty. Learn that next.
          PHP/JAVA/ASP.net/Cold Fusion/Ruby On Rails = a variety of programming
          languages and frameworks that'd you'd use to tie in your content to
          databases and server-side functionality.
          Javascript = a scripting language used in combination with HTML and CSS to
          provide front-end interface functionality/interaction.

Hope that helps.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?
            Level 7
            Steve-0 the newbie wrote:
            > I am not code saavy, I'm expecting Dreamweaver
            > to take care of that for me.

Big mistake. Learn the basics of (X)HTML and CSS, and using Dreamweaver
            will become a breeze. Ignore them, and Dreamweaver will create spaghetti
            code that will take you forever to unravel.

That's not because Dreamweaver is incapable of writing good code; it
            writes just about the cleanest code of any HTML editor. But it's a tool,
            and like any tool, you need to learn to use it correctly. A chisel in
            the hands of Michaelangelo produced wonders. In the hands of a
            five-year-old child, it produces rubble.

--
            David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
            Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
            Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
            http://foundationphp.com/
            • 3. Re: Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?
              Level 7
              On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:15:08 +0000 (UTC), "Steve-0 the newbie"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Hi Everyone, I'm new and glad to be here!
              >
              > Im trying to get started. I've done up my page in photoshop but I dont know
              >what type of programming to use. I am not code saavy, I'm expecting Dreamweaver
              >to take care of that for me. I'm just not sure about the pros and cons of each
              >of these or which is best to use. We're talking basics here, no database, no
              >flash, just an informative website.
              >
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Steve

In addition to what others already said, we could give a lot more
              advice if we say what you have produced.
              • 4. Re: Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?
                Level 7

"Steve-0 the newbie" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:fd0n5s$s5i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi Everyone, I'm new and glad to be here!
                >
                > Im trying to get started. I've done up my page in photoshop but I dont
                > know
                > what type of programming to use. I am not code saavy, I'm expecting
                > Dreamweaver
                > to take care of that for me. I'm just not sure about the pros and cons of
                > each
                > of these or which is best to use. We're talking basics here, no database,
                > no
                > flash, just an informative website.
                >

I mean this kindly: it's very unwise to think that you can start producing
                web sites if you don't yet know the difference between HTML and PHP. A rough
                equivalent would be: "I want to start composing classical music, and I have
                a song I'm humming in my head, but I don't know whether to use quarter
                notes, a saxophone, a G-clef, or a barbershop quartet."

Owning Dreamweaver is pretty much useless until you at least know what HTML
                is and understand the basics. This is *completely* different than using
                Microsoft Publisher or PowerPoint.

I'd recommend filing your Photoshop mockup away and taking at least a few
                weeks to learn how HTML works and how web pages are put together. Once
                you've done that, you'll probably want to re-do your Photoshop mockup
                anyway.

--
                Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                www.WebDevBiz.com
                Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                --

• 5. Re: Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?
                  Steve-0_the_newbie Level 1
                  Thank you all for your input. Great answers and analogies. I knew that was coming. Back to basics. That's okay though, I like learning.

I will start off with HTML hopefully I can pick it up quickly. Can you recommend any online resources? What would I look at next after I've got a good feel for html? An hour a day should do wonders.
                  • 6. Re: Which do I want? HTML? CSS? PHP? Java?
                    Level 7

"Steve-0 the newbie" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:fd16o2$fli$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thank you all for your input. Great answers and analogies. I knew that
                    > was
                    > coming. Back to basics. That's okay though, I like learning.
                    >
                    > I will start off with HTML hopefully I can pick it up quickly. Can you
                    > recommend any online resources? What would I look at next after I've got a
                    > good
                    > feel for html? An hour a day should do wonders.

Good! Yes, seriously, an hour a day *should* do wonders. For basic HTML, the
                    W3C's tutorials should be good - they start here:
                    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Overview.html and it looks like there's a
                    series of three.

From there, I'd say the next step should be to understand CSS better.

The important thing about both HTML and CSS is to understand the
                    *concepts*, how it is intended to work. I've seen people writing pretty
                    advanced code that is totally backwards, because they don't understand, for
                    instance, the concept of "separation of structure and presentation". <----
                    Important concept to grasp.

As far as Dreamweaver goes, a good rule of thumb is to not use any feature
                    that writes code that you don't immediately understand when you view it in
                    Code View. Let the understanding come first - then let the tool write that
                    code quickly for you, instead of you having to type it in.

Glad you have a good attitude - have fun studying up, and come back for help
                    anytime.

--
                    Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                    www.WebDevBiz.com
                    Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                    Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                    --