3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 1:38 PM by MarionMacDonald

Problem with Depths

MarionMacDonald

I've been reading about getDepths and swapDepths but can't figure out which I get -16383 in response to the following:

_root.holder.attachMovie("button","introButton", 10);
      trace(_root.holder.getDepth());

I've also used this in the same piece of code and get the expected response:

this.createEmptyMovieClip("container", 5);
      trace(container.getDepth());

I'd appreciate some pointers.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with Depths
          MarionMacDonald Level 1

Sorry, that should be 'why' not 'which'

• 2. Re: Problem with Depths
            Rothrock Level 5

That would be because that is the depth of the thing you asked for. Flash does what we tell it to do, not what we want.

I can't quite tell if you are confused by the really low negative number or that you expected it to return 10?

You are asking for the depth of _root.holder, not the depth of _root.holder.introButton. Remember that attachMovie puts the newly attached movie inside the object you tell it to put it inside of.

Addtionally here is a great trick. attachMovie returns a reference to the newly attached movie so you can do something like this:

var myNewClip:MovieClip=_root.holder.attachMovie("button","introButton", 10);

trace("the attached clip is: "+myNewClip)

trace("its depth is: "+myNewClip.getDepth());

If your confusing is over the really negative number....My guess is that holder is something you placed on the timeline at author time, right? Here is a great article about the differences in how Flash handles depths between timeline placed and code placed objects.

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/depths.htm

• 3. Re: Problem with Depths
              MarionMacDonald Level 1

Thank you so much for your reply.  Doh, I knew it would be something obvious.

And yYes, I had come across that article.

Thanks

Marion