1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 7:24 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

RAM Preview and Premiere Timeline

Alex DeJesus Level 1

AE shows 2.8 GB max for "MInimum allocation per CPU." What is the rule of thumb for the "Render multiple Frames" and the RAM Preview slider if I have 8GB memory?

And, why do I have to render the AE comp in Premiere to play it if it is already RAM previewed?

Message was edited by: Alex DeJesus

• 1. Re: RAM Preview and Premiere Timeline
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

AE shows 2.8 GB max for "MInimum allocation per CPU." What is the rule of thumb for the "Render multiple Frames" and the RAM Preview slider if I have 8GB memory

It depends on the number of processors/cores in your computer. 8 GB is ideal for a dual core computer, barely adequate for a quad core and not enough if you had an octo (dual quad) core machine.

The rule of thumb is that you want to have at least 2 GB per core, 3 GB is better. If you do have that ratio, AE will do the right thing automatically. If 8 GB of RAM doesn't mean 2 or more GB per core in your case, you can set some cores free for other applications in the Memory and multiprocessing preferences.

And, why do I have to render the AE comp in Premiere to play it if it is already RAM previewed?

Oh, Jeez. That would be amazing. Even if AE and PPro could share memory in such a way (seems difficult for 32 bit applications as they are now) the AE RAM preview is in a raw, 4:4:4 uncompressed state that would probably take a lot of muscle to play back in Premiere Pro as a client program. But the truth is that this feature doesn't currenty exist. Feel free to file a feature request.