5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 5:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Effects not working in Premiere Elements 7

julieterp

I am trying to apply some audio effects (DeNoiser, etc.) to the audio clips in my project, but when I select a clip and select and audio effect, I can't apply the effect.  They "apply" button is greyed out, and if I try to drag and drop the effect onto the clip I get the universal "no" symbol on the mouse cursor.

The audio clips are linked to video clips (footage from an HD camcorder that was imported into the project).  However, I also tried this with the audio and video unlinked, and the effects won't apply then, either.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Audio Effects not working in Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are the Audio files DD 5.1 SS Audio? Many Effects will only work with Mono, or Stereo. In PrPro, they are actually broken down by the channel type, Mono, Stereo and 5.1. Could that be the problem?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Effects not working in Premiere Elements 7
            julieterp Level 1

You're right- it looks as if my audio is 5.1.  Do you know if there is any way to convert that in PrE7, or would I have to purchase/download another program to do that?

Unfortunately, the camera that we have does not offer any audio capture options- 5.1 is the only way I can capture the audio short of buying a new camera.

• 3. Re: Audio Effects not working in Premiere Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You should be able to use the freeware, Audacity, to convert your AC3 Audio to Stereo. I know that Audacity will Open my AC3's, but am not 100% sure about a muxed AC3 inside of your AV file. Still, it will rip the Audio from most muxed files. If successful, you would just do a Save_As and choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import that, and replace your 5.1 Audio. Audacity will also do a lot of Audio editing and I believe that it also uses many VST plug-ins. I use Adobe Audition, so only have limited experience with Audacity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio Effects not working in Premiere Elements 7
                A.T. Romano Level 7

I have been reading your thread and its responses with interest.

What is the brand and model of the camcorder that you are using? And, what is the file extension for the video with this 5.1 channel sound. Is your video AVCHD or HDV?

Some thoughts:

1. Premiere Elements 7 File Menu/Export/Audio will not export the Timeline video as 5.1 channel sound to Audacity, rather Stereo (2 channel).

2. I do not have an AVCHD file (or any file) with 5.1 channel sound. I have those that list 6 channel. I have found problems when I tried to export the audio from Premiere Elements when the file extension of the Timeline content was .m2ts versus .mts. For the audio derived from the .mts saved to Desktop..no problem for Audacity importing the export as .wav....for the audio derived from the .m2ts saved to Desktop, Audacity shutdown. In the latter case, Audacity seems to import the audio from the .m2ts saved to Desktop, IF the export from Premiere Elements is "Audio Interchange File Format" rather than .wav.

Also, if you have not found out already, regarding MP3 encoding Audacity, when you go to export as MP3 from Audacity, you may get the message "Audacity does not export MP3 files directly, but instead uses the freely available LAME library to handle MP3 fiel encoding."

I am looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 5. Re: Audio Effects not working in Premiere Elements 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

If you could benefit from having a DD 5.1 SS AC3 file to test, please let me know, and I will get you one.

Hunt