2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2010 12:40 PM by Brutusbflo RSS

Installing Adobe Reader on a Thin Client

Brutusbflo

I have 27 Thin clients (HP t5639w) to set up in the next day or two... the problem: right out of the box, I am unable to install Adobe Reader on them. I have made room to install by using a flash drive to increase RAM, and Reader appears to have successfully loaded, but each time I try to open after install I get the following error message: "Font Capture: AcroRd32.exe Application Error.... The exception unknown software. Exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812afb."

I've tried to contact HP customer support - unfortunately, they refer me to the HP website and tell me to download the version there. It's the same version I've tried to install - no luck. I have installed other software on the Thin Clients successfully, but I'm only having an issue with Reader.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Installing Adobe Reader on a Thin Client
          scvrms

Brutusbflo, Any luck finding anything? I just encountered the same problem on t5630 running WinXP Embedded. I'm installing Reader 9.2 and get the error "Font Capture: AcroRd32.exe Application Error.... The exception unknown software. Exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a7b."

• 2. Re: Installing Adobe Reader on a Thin Client
            Brutusbflo Community Member

Here's the process:

·         Download Adobe to USB drive

·         Remove write filter – reboot

·         Create temporary TEMP and TMP folders on C: drive

·         Change Windows TEMP variables (both TEMP and TMP) to a folder on the “Hard Disk” – Reboot (Make a note of values before changing).

·         Install Adobe Reader – Reboot

·         Run Adobe Reader – If runs reboot

·         Replace TEMP and TMP variable entries (Usually Z:\TEMP and Z:\TMP respectively) – Reboot

·         Delete temporary TEMP and TMP folders – reboot

·         Re-enable write filter

This worked for me!