1 2 Previous Next 76 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 2:23 AM by NEO3979

Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?

ecuadorian-in-charge Level 1

has anyone received an error in illustrator CS4: Acrobat PDF File Format is having difficulties. Object label badly formatted? I am ON a mac and cannot open files after this error, help?

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
          aakozy Level 1

me too... just happed on mac illustrator cs4. acrobat pdf file format is having difficulties. object label badly formatted.

i had 2 other back up files an none of them are opening.

earlier today i did an update for suitcase fusion 2 and it updated stuff in illustrator. wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

HELP?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?

ME TOO!!! I also updated suitcase fusion 2 and it updated stuff in illustrator (thought it had something to do with how it automatically opens fonts), and thats when I started having problems, maybe need to contact extensis tomorrow morning? Thanks for responding!!!

• 3. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You are not going to like this but i strongly suggest you get another font manager and I recommend Font Agent Pro.

Then I would clear out for font cache files.

Trash the settings folder  as such

I would first quite Illustrator and then;

I would go to Users/username/Library/preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings folder and trash that settings folder.

• 4. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                agotcher

Is there any more on this issue? I'm having the same problems.

I tried the clean font cache method....Looks like I will be rebuilding files all day!

• 5. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?

YES! but no good news yet... I called extensis today and was on the phone with tech support for an hour and tried to clean up, clear font caches and 2 tests... Extensis said today that the problem is with Acrobat and we'll need to wait on adobe to get their ***** moving to resolve this issue, sorry.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                    HaoleBoy Level 1

Thanks for doing the leg work on this.  I have the same issue and it has ground my design work to a halt with deadlines looming.  This is not good.  Hopefully, one of these companies will take responsibility and fix it quickly.

• 7. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I would really suggest another Font manager.

• 8. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                        HaoleBoy Level 1

Is it certain that Suitcase is the problem and other font managers will be fine if substituted?

• 9. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?

That is the BIG question, and I am waiting on adobe to confirm, if this is a SUITCASE/EXTENSIS problem. WHen I had extensis tech support, we did a test where you turn OFF suitcase (thru preferences) and launch any illustrator file, especially those file that have gone corrupt, and the file did not open... Which points the problem / issue to adobe illustrator / acrobat, sorry I do not have a resolution, but if this helps, I lost 1.5 days of work because of this problem.

• 10. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                            HaoleBoy Level 1

Yes, but was the file corrupt because of Fusion first?  If so, then turning it off and trying to open a file is closing the barn doors after the cows are gone.

Here is some info about my experience:

I took an existing CS3 file I did last year with Fusion installed and working that needed to be reworked for this year and saved it as CS4.  Then I made extensive changes to it and hit cmd-s and it said it couldn't save it.  So I did a "save as" and it seemed to save OK.  However, once the file was closed and I tried to reopen it, it threw this "badly formatted error".

So today, as a test, I opened a different old AICS3 file (that was created in CS3 before I upgraded to CS4 and Fusion ON) it opens fine.  I make changes to it and save as CS4 and it seems fine.  Now, this one DOESN'T have a problem and opens fine.  The only difference I see is some fonts used in one that aren't used in the other.

Soooo....

I went back to the file that I changed and was corrupt and did the same thing only I changed all the fonts to generic Arial.  It opens just fine.

So it is time to run the font doctor and any other tests I can to see what the problem is.  It appears that some fonts aren't playing nice with either Fusion, CS4 or Snow Leopard.

Stay tuned .....

• 11. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                              agotcher Level 1

I'm running 10.5.8, CS4 and Fusion2..... everything was fine with the files opening and saving... until I was prompted to update the fusion2 for SL. Then they got corrupted. It has to be the Fusion2 update! I'm going to reinstall the preUpdate version or just keep it off until they fix it. You would think they would test it before they push it out. Just to have a SL ready version. I doubt it's CS4.

• 12. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                HaoleBoy Level 1

I think I may have solved the issue that I am having.  I ran Font Doctor and there were many duplicate fonts, bad fonts, missing bitmaps, etc.  I got rid of the duplicates and bad fonts.  The important thing here is to run it over and over until you get a clean report after moving bad files each time.  It finds more issues after fixing some.  If you just run it once, you will not get all issues resolved.  Keep re-running it on all font folders you have until you get that error-free report.

After doing this, I went in and did the same process with the same files that errored before and it was fine.  Unfortunately, the original that I worked so many hours on is apperantly corrupt and unsalvageable.

I will rebuild the job today and report back whether all is still good in a real-world project and not just a short test.

• 13. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                  HaoleBoy Level 1

I worked on the project for a while, saving every so often, and all was well.  Then, all of a sudden, the same error came up and the whole thing is bad again.

So I went back to CS3 and did the whole thing over again and it works just fine with Snow Leopard and the latest Suitcase Fusion.

It looks like Adobe needs to fix Illustrator CS4.  Until then, I will continue to work in CS3.  I don't think it is Snow Leopard or Suitcase Fusion.

• 14. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                    Eye-T

Hi,

I just encountered the same problem, nearly lost a days work. However I have found a way to 'crow bar' the corrupt file back into Illustrator.

If you right click the .ai that wont open and choose 'open with' then 'preview' the preview allows you to save the fike as a PDF, which will them open in InDesign.

You will loose anything outside the page frame and text is outlined, but for the most part you can continue where you left off.

Its a dirty fix, but in my case it has saved me doing alot of legwork to get back to where I was.

But really this issue is a discrace.

Adobe sort it out!!!

• 15. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Did you try opening that pdf in Illustrator and resaving it?

And I am wondering if you try to place the file in an empty Ai document instead of opening it?

BTW if the problem is a Suitcase problem then really Adobe has little control over it being fixed and I suggest again you switch Font Managers.

• 16. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                        Eye-T Level 1

Sorry, yes I did, indesign was a typo! I meant Illustrator.

Illustrator opens the PDF fine. and actually the last one i did the font is not outlined either.

After that saving seems OK, but it could happen again at any moment, for now I am turning off PDF in save as dialogue and saving as CS3 so i can keep working with old mac  if CS4 keeps misbehaving.

• 17. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You are not reading my post correctly change your font manager.

If you use Illustrator you do not want to use Suitcase.

• 18. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                            aakozy Level 1

I was able to successfully place my file in a new .ai file, but encounted the same issue as with opening and resaving in preview - only the content on the artboards is salvaged, which sort of worked out for me (thank my lucky starts i had just placed my selects on the artboards).

When designing a logo I work off the artboards a lot - exploring all my options freely within the file. I lost a lot of exploration and content - like 20 hours worth that was not on the artboards! And like I said, I'm one lucky ******* - it couldn't have been but a half hour prior that I put my selects on the artboard... otherwise I would have lost an entire logo project.

• 19. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Geez!

change your font manager if you value your time?

the problem will come back until you do so.

• 20. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                Eye-T Level 1

I read your posts, and I hear what you are saying, but how can you be sure that suitcase is the bad apple here?

• 21. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

More or less has been shown to be so from many past posts on a number 

of similar issues.

But you are correct if you want to continue to use Suitcase go ahead.

• 22. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                    Eye-T Level 1

I work off the artboard too, but luckily only lost about 20% of my work.

Better than the whole shebang!

For now I have disabled the suitcase preferences panel in Illustrator, remove PDF compatible when saving and finally save as CS3.

Wade says to change font manager, he suggests Font Agent Pro.

Maybe hes right...

• 23. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                      rob Frye

Got my file back!

I've bene working on a file all weekend. This morning was given the error "Object label badly formatted?" when trying to open in Illustrator CS4. I was able to open the file in Acrobat but unable to resave. Started to do some research and thought all was lost. Tried opening the file on other workstations with no luck. As a last resort, I gave it to our prepress department to see if they could process the file. They were able to open the file and print to pdf. At this point I extracted my critical data from the pdf and created a new Ai file. Seems most of the work was save.

Revelent System Specs.

Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.1)

CS4 Illustator (14.0.0)

Suitcase Fusion 2 (13.2.0)

*** changing my font manager...

• 24. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                        Eye-T Level 1

Were you able to reclaim anything from outside the artboard/page borders?

• 25. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                          rob Frye Level 1

Sorry, should have mentioned...

I was unable to recover anything outside my artboard. Luckily in my case, I had just started cleaning up my files as the design was done and being prepped for press. I had just moved everything revelent onto the artboard.

• 26. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                            Thomas Phinney Level 3

I can certainly undertand the frustration and anger being expressed here. Document corruption is one of the most serious things that can go wrong in one's workflow. It shouldn't happen in the first place, and when it does happen, it needs to be fixed, NOW!

Extensis takes this problem very seriously and is extremely concerned. I've reviewed the issue with tech support, with all the information we've collected to date, and Extensis has a number of people actively investigating it. It's premature for us to point the finger at anybody else (or vice versa) at this point.

We did encounter something like this in testing, but that problem was resolved prior to release, and we have not yet reproduced this situation with the shipping version of Suitcase Fusion 2 13.2. This suggests that there are some particular variables which need to be in place for this to occur. This issue needs to be addressed ASAP, and while it is of course our desire to figure it out (even if it turns out not to be our bug), we'll appreciate your help. We don't yet know what the cause is, or in whose court a fix might lie. For now, I encourage any Suitcase Fusion customer experiencing this issue to:

1) Check this page to see if there's been a solution or updated info: http://www.extensis.com/en/support/suitcase-fusion-2.jsp (look especially at the "Top Knowledge Base Articles" section). There's nothing on this issue here today, but since this forum post is going to be up indefinitely, I have to recommend checking!

2) If there's no new info, contact Extensis tech support and help us figure this out for everybody's benefit. You can use the online contact form at http://www.extensis.com/en/support/contact_prod_support.jsp, or call tech support at 1-503-274-7030.

When we have enough information to say something useful about what is (or is not) involved in causing the problem, we'll do so.

Until that level of information is available, I'm not sure comments based on older versions of the application,  so vague as to be impossible to verify or rebut, they aren't much use to anybody. Suitcase Fusion 2 is based on an entirely new code base, rewritten from scratch, compared to Suitcase Fusion or any older versions of Suitcase. Any bugs one saw in those older products can't just be assumed to persist, so arguments which boil down to "some older versions sucked, so this does too" don't seem very reasonable.

Regards,

T

Thomas Phinney

Sr Product Manager

Font Solutions

Extensis, a division of Celartem, Inc.

• 27. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                              HaoleBoy Level 1

Thank you, Thomas, for letting us know the company's position and course of action.  I did notice that Adobe released an updated version of Acrobat Pro last night.  They say it is for some security fixes, but who knows.  I'm not techy enough to know much about the inner workings of the native pdf format Illustrator files use, but I can't help but wonder if they found a few bugs in the system as it relates to pdf and Acrobat's role in using that format on a computer.

If I get time, I may go do some testing with CS4 again now that I have installed the Acrobat Pro 9 update.  Wouldn't it be great if they fixed it on their end?

Hey, I'm a dreamer....

• 28. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well it is good to hear from Thomas Phinney once again. But I see it this way it is now up to Suitcase to prove itself. Font Agent Pro has been solid and though things can go wrong with FAP they are simple to fix.

Now Suitcase may have all knew code but that in itself does not mean it has resolved the problems and has been brought up to snuff.

I would still suspect suitcase with a problem like this.

That is the wa I see it I hope Suitcase does prove to be the old stable work horse it was but until it provesb i don't see it.

• 29. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                  Charles Whalley Level 1

We're all running CS4 and Suitcase here and in the last week we have had three corrupt files - but the preview trick seems to work a treat. Just to add to the font issue - one of our corrupt files has been whilst adding text to a photoshop document! No problems yet in InDesign. Hope this is resolved shortly - but encouraging to here a professional response from Suitcase.

• 30. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                    soccerman22

I updated Fusion 2 (Sept. 14, 2009) as well and having the same issue. Tried everything to restore but nothing seems to work. A quick temporary fix is to turn off auto-activation in both fusion 2 and illustrator CS4, this is working for now. A real pain having to activate fonts the old school way, but if it works until the software gods fix this mess I'll suffer through it.

• 31. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                      Skullmaker Level 3

I keep wondering why CS3 does not have a problem with this issue. Is CS3 better than CS4 or its the Suitcase Fusion?

• 32. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?

I am happy to report I received an email from Extensis with bad files/fonts so they can recreate the problem... I will get to that after all my deadlines, which keep growing as the week progresses... I am happy to report we are getting closer to a fix, but sad to report that we are also getting more users with the same issue (happens after the suitcase2 update to 13.2)... more to come...

• 33. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                          rob Frye Level 1

Does anyone know of an easy way to downgrade to the original Fusion 2 software (13.0.0) ?

I think at this point I want to just downgrade since it sounds like it is directly related to the update.

• 34. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                            soccerman22 Level 1

Tried reverting back and my Suitcase Fusion Core wouldn't turn on/

work. I would call extensis before trying this.

• 35. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                              Cre8ive74 Level 1

Well, I took Wades advice and bought Font Agent -- I can't wait for Extensis or Adobe to fix this -- losing way too many files. After cleaning out things fusion on my CPU I installed Font Agent and so far so great (knocking on wood) I have done 3 projects this morning in Illustrator with no errors on reopen.

What scares me, is it seems this problem has been around since 2004 -- I'm hoping switching font managers is the solution for me.

Thanks for the tip Wade

• 36. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                                Thomas Phinney Level 3

We now understand the problem, and are testing a solution. Here's my current understanding of all the elements of this issue.

CAUSE: The problem occurs in an interaction between Illustrator CS4, Suitcase Fusion 2 v13.2, and having an Illustrator document with one or more text boxes, containing text, which is *completely* off the artboard—not even the bounding box is touching the artboard. *Additionally*, there must also be at least one text box, with text in it, which is *on* the artboard (even so much as having the bounding box partly on the artboard is sufficient, again). When these conditions are met, saving the document *may* (but does not always) cause the problem.

PROBLEM: Attempting to open an affected document in Illustrator CS4 fails, with an "object label badly formatted" error. The problem can occur with older illustrator documents opened in CS4, as well as native CS4 documents.

UNAFFECTED: Despite any speculation in this thread, this problem does not affect Photoshop, nor has it occurred with any version of Extensis Suitcase older than Suitcase Fusion 2 v13.2, which shipped about eight days ago.

SOLUTION: The problem should be resolved by a 13.2.1 dot release. Although things could be delayed if we find something unexpected in testing, we currently expect to have the fix available this week, probably tomorrow (Thursday).

DOCUMENT RECOVERY: Extensis can fix any Illustrator CS4 document which exhibits this problem. For now, contact Extensis tech support if you need help with recovering any such Illustrator document. Be prepared to send tech support the affected Illustrator file(s). You can use the online contact form at http://www.extensis.com/en/support/contact_prod_support.jsp, or call tech support at 1-503-274-7030.

Special thanks to the users whose suffering and detailed reports helped us figure this out!

Regards,

T

Thomas Phinney

Sr Product Manager, Font Solutions

Extensis, a division of Celartem, Inc.

• 37. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                                  HaoleBoy Level 1

Thanks Thomas!  Now that you explained it, that is completely consistent with when it would be fine and when it would corrupt the file.  I didn't realize that each time it happened I had moved text off of the artboard and had text on the artboard as well.

I look forward to the update and getting back off CS3 and going back to work in CS4.

• 38. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?

Thanks Thomas for the explanation, that is also consistent (from what I remember) with my files that corrupted... Looking forward to the update and not switching to agent font pro... I have been a suitcase user since way back when... all i can say is Apple MacIntosh FX anyone?

• 39. Re: Illustrator CS4 error: Object label badly formatted?
                                                                                      Charles Whalley Level 1

Thomas

Whilst I appreciate that this is an illustrator forum - our problems with this 'object label badly formatted' situation, are not just with Illustrator but with Photoshop as well, as per my previous post and my form sent to Extensis a couple of days ago - (incident number is: 2062587). I do hope that the solution you have found resolves the issue for both Photoshop and Illustrator.

1 2 Previous Next