2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 7:25 AM by Lunarbot

Puppet Tool and Rendering Order

Lunarbot

I'm sure my problem is because I'm no comprehending the rendering order of a comp, layer, effects and transformations.

With that said, here's my dilema.  I have a comp called "Bob Walking".  With in this comp I have a vector layer (imported from AI) with 3D and Continuoulsly Rasterize applied.  I've also applied the puppet tool to this layer so that my character appears to be walking in place.

I then have the "Bob Walking" comp placed into another comp and have applied 3D and transformations to "Bob Walking".  This then creates the illussion that my character is walking towards the camera.

Everything works fine except my character is retaining quality when moving towards the camera.  If I apply Collapse Transformation to the "Bob Walking" comp then the puppet tool animation I've applied goes away but then the vector quality is retained.

For an example of my issue you can download the comp here: http://www.kjbates.com/video/SB7.mov

You can see my character is jagged.  Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks so much in advanced!

• 1. Re: Puppet Tool and Rendering Order
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

from "About the Puppet tools":

"Note: Don’t animate the position or  scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are  also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for  continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different  from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and  use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet  tools to transform the shapes within the layer."

• 2. Re: Puppet Tool and Rendering Order
            Lunarbot Level 1

Thank you, I'm still trying to get my head around this so I appreciate your patience.

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like I can't do what I'm wanting to do while retaining vector quality.  I've tried precomposing the layer, leaving the puppet effect applied to the precomp but it still doesn't improve the quality.

If this is the case, would anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to accomplish my goal of animating my character walking towards the camera or point me to some where that could provide this info.

Thanks again for your help!