10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 3:16 PM by adobeuserinpoverty

Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21

adobeuserinpoverty

I have spent 11 days with my Pre 7 trial trying to get it to recognize my camera. It is AVCHD. it cannot detect my camera. I was hoping to bypass the cheap software that came with the camera and just use Adobe to retrieve my videos, edit them, and then burn them to DVD. Reading the forums it looks like I am going to have a lot of problems. I don't know because I can't get past step one.

I took care of the warning at start up stating that content was missing.

So far i am not liking this program.

This is my first time ever editing video. I am worried, looking at all these posts, what other problems I am going to have.

Can someone help me get past step one anyway?

• 1. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
          A.T. Romano Level 7

A brief search has brought up other similar problems involving Premiere Elements 7 and the Canon HF series where Paul_LS suggests what you are doing now, that is, transferring video from camcorder to computer, using the software that came with the camcorder.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1893892#1893892

That appears to be the workaround until a Canon/Adobe solution is found.

A new version is expected to be released around October/November 2009, but no one knows the details the new release.

ATR

• 2. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
            A.T. Romano Level 7

I forgot to ask "What Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) are you using when you try to import your AVCHD, presumed with Get Media/AVCHD category?

Have you tried varying the order of turning things on, camcorder first, Premiere Elements second, as well as Premiere Elements first, camcorder second?

Different USB port?

ATR

• 3. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
              adobeuserinpoverty Level 1

I don't know which AVCHD to use for the settings so I tried them all.

I did try starting up in different orders, camera first, Pre first, etc.

• 4. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Your camcorder records AVCHD Full 1920 x 1080 and the audio is "Dolby Digital 2ch (AC03 2ch), so you do not have 5.1 channel sound.

So, the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) would most appropriately be:

NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 or the PAL counterpart, depending on your location.

The project preset should match the import video properties as closely as possible, since it acts as a template for your edits of the footage. Setting the project preset in the new project dialog does not prevent you from exporting at a different setting in Share/Personal Computer/export choices or Share/Disc/Disc.

I will look around further to see if I can find an exception, but right now it looks like using the software that came with the camcorder is on the route to getting your video into Premiere Elements 7 (Get Media/Files & Folders.)

Other things looking beyond the current issue presented....You may want to read up on Edit Menu/Preferences/General with and without the "Default Scale to Frame Size" checked (You have probably have been operating with Default Scale to Frame Size checked).....also, using Edit Mode Monitor Magnification at the default of Fit vs the 100% set. That all could be for another post.

ATR

• 5. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21

Thank you for those settings. I could not find them in the manual.

I do have to do more reading up becaue everything you said afterwards was another language. I normally do photography. Even there the digital cameras are a new adventure for me.

I'll see if i have the default scale to frame size checked. i think I remember seeing that on the Pre window somewhere. i don't remember where yet. I've done som much searching a fiddling with it I don't remember what was where.

The Edit Mode monitor magnification I don't remember...I have no idea what that is. i haven't even been able to use the program yet.

Thank you for your input.

Want to just show me how to use this program..?LOL

• 6. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do decide to go with PrE, then I very highly recommend Steve Grisetti's Muvipix PrE 7 book. It will tell you almost everything that you will want to know - for everything else, there's always the Adobe PrE forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

I did not mean to introduce new ideas too soon...just consider those little comments as previews.

If you right click the Edit Mode Monitor, you can select Magnification to get at the set of Fit (the default) or 100% or others. That same right click will reveal the option for Safe Margins which has to do with the TV's Overscan and assuring that your titles and action edges do not get chopped off on the TV. Bottom line: keep your titles within the inner rectangle and your action within the outer rectangle in the Safe Margins guidelines. Go through the PDF sequentially section by section, and it will all come together.

Did you know that you could get to the Adobe Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF via the Help menu of your program. That is one major resource that I suggest you take a look at and go through systematically.

Here is an online link, just in case

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WSA826BC5C-2FA7-4a1a-92F4-8B5538783B39.ht ml#WSDFBA8495-1B3C-4888-BC8C-990DC6924700

I am hoping that a Canon HG21 Premiere Elements 7 user will pop up with a confirming report. But, keep moving forward with your evaluation nonetheless.

And, do not hesitate to ask questions here.

ATR

• 8. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21

I have to email you because whenever I go to the Adobe website my computer locks up and I hae to close Internet Explorer using Task Manager. Sometimes a miracle happens and it doesn't  lock up.It took me a couple of days to get it to work to post my question.

I tried retrieving my videos once I downloaded them onto my computer using the program it came with. No such luck. Premiere will not recognize my videos. I even found where my program saves the videos and changed the location. Instead pre just brings up 2 folders with some weird blue and white abstract images for the thumbnails. They are not the videos.

To select a device the drop down menu only gives me E: are around the words on the menu.

I don't know what the E, F, K letters are for. My videos are on the C drive. I have to pick one of them even though I changed the locations settings to the c drive and the correct folder.

I am thinking I'll just stick with the cheap program that came with the camera for editing.

Thanks for your help.

-Jill

• 9. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jill,

I think that it is time for us to look at your computer resources to determine if those are involved in the problems that you described for your computer as well as Premiere Elements 7. Questions/Considerations.....

Operating System and 32 or 64 bit

Installed RAM and Available RAM

Total Capacity of C: (Local) Drive and free hard drive space there

Do you have an external hard drive and is it formatted NTFS, not FAT32

Does your computer operating system control the Virtual Memory or have you used your own settings?

Do you defragment the computer routinely and frequently?

When you are running Premiere Elements 7 are you multitasking, maybe using other programs at the same time?

We need to get the drive locations under control and understood. Confusion on what letter represents which drive can create problems if you do not know to which drive you are assigning videos or whatever. In the good old days, you started with (A:) drive which was for those 3 1/2 floppy discs. That drive was usually designed as "3 1/2 Floppy (A:)". The (C:) your local drive was designed "Local Disk (C:)" that is where your Premiere Elements program files should be   I am told that there was a (B:) drive at one time which was for 5 1/2 floppy discs. After that the drives and the letters assigned by the operating system could be from:

(a) installation of DVD/CD burner(s). Typically you might see them designed: "DVD-RW Drive" with a letter next to it as well as "DVD-RAM Drive" with a letter after it. How drive names and letters are determined is a whole other story.

(b) insertion of a Flash Drive (aka Jump Drive) into one of the USB ports of the computer...your would probably see that represented as "Removal Drive or the brand name of the Flash Drive" with a letter next to it.

(c) installation of an external hard drive which you might see as "FreeAgent Drive" with a letter next to it....it is important to know what letter the external hard drive has been assigned by the system.

In my system it is very important that before I unplug any external hard drives or flash drives that I use the Safely Remove Hardware Icon in the Task panel to avoid problems. Also, Premiere Elements thumbnails are just thumbnails that reference back to the source media that you have saved on the local or external hard drive. Once you have imported source media into Premiere Elements, save and close the project, you will get into serious reconnect media problems if you start moving the source media from the location that Premiere Elements initially recognized.

This next part I will just address quickly and save for the next time. When you use the program that came with the camcorder in order to get the video to the computer hard drive, make sure you watch the export file format that you use.

I hope that these focus points will help to get your look at Premiere Elements 7 moving along, If any additional questions, do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 10. Re: Pre 7 Trial does not recognize my canon HD vixia HG21

Operating System and 32 or 64 bit  Windows Vista 32-bit

Installed RAM and Available RAM 3GB RAM

Total Capacity of C: (Local) Drive and free hard drive space there 453 GB 329 GB Free

Do you have an external hard drive and is it formatted NTFS, not FAT32 Yes, it is NTFS

Does your computer operating system control the Virtual Memory or have you used your own settings? Computer operates it.

Do you defragment the computer routinely and frequently?

When you are running Premiere Elements 7 are you multitasking, maybe using other programs at the same time?

This is a new computer.

The local hard drive is C: yet Adobe's drop down menu does not even list that in the drop down menu. It lists the program that downloaded the videos under some other letter. I don't have to worry about thumbnails because Adobe does not even recognize any videos on my computer.

The file type and format Imagemixer uses is MPEG-2.