2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 6:13 AM by Jeff Bellune

Replacing video clip causes project to become corrupted.

Webshark2000 Level 1

I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug or not, but I'll explain what happened.  I'm using CS4 with all Adobe software mentioned below.

I'm working on an animation project that has foreground characters created using Anime Studio Pro software and backgrounds created in 3d Studio Max.  I then use After Effects to composite the two and add effects.  Out of After Effects I'm rendering uncompressed AVI files.  I then bring those into Premiere Pro to edit the whole thing and add the dialogue, music and sound effects.  I sometimes go ahead and include the dialogue audio in the individual clips for reference, but I only end up using the video in Premiere.

Sometimes after I get a shot completely finished we notice a problem, or the client wants a change, etc.  I have to go back and redo the composite in After Effects.  I usually just export over the clip that was already done (and already loaded into Premiere Pro) and the only time this seems to be a problem is if I do it while Premiere is still open (usually causes it to freeze).

But I ran into a big problem the other day where one of the original clips I replaced had some audio in it, and I accidently forgot to include the audio in the one I replaced it with.  At first there didn't seem to be any problem, but when I shut down Premiere and tried to open the project back up, it wouldn't finish loading.  It took me a while to figure out what the problem was.  I ended up going back to an autosave, but if I opened it up and then saved it, the saved project woudn't finish loading any more.  Even if I then moved the file that was causing the problem to a different directory, the project still wouldn't open.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has had this or a similar problem, or am I the only one who ever replaces clips on the hard drive that are already loaded into a Premiere project?  I'm used to After Effects which has no problem with you doing this, you just have right-click on the file you've replaced and select "Reload".  I guess I was just expecting Premiere to not have a problem with this as well.