5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 12:04 PM by kglad

Hopeless at Flash

Clarionista

I am brand new to Flash, have a design background and am currently an editor using Premiere Pro and After Effects.

I have designed my website in Adobe Illustrator and then opened my Illustrator files in Flash CS4. I converted specific text to buttons and animated them so that they increase in size slightly when you drag your mouse over them. I have multiple pages designed and want to be able to navigate from one page to the other via th buttons I have created at the bottom of my page.

The trick is that I know nothing about how to do this and the tutorials explain things from a step beyond where I am at the moment.

I have a Landing Page where when you type inn my domain name it goes to there. There are three more pages, an About Us page, a Projects page and a Contacts page. I have made buttons for each of these.

Please can someone explain to me how to make it so that when one of these buttons is clicked it opens the relevent page.

Thank you for not laughing...

• 1. Re: Hopeless at Flash
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

are the other 3 pages html pages or are they displayed on frames in your fla or something else?

• 2. Re: Hopeless at Flash
            Clarionista Level 1

At this stage they are separate fla files, not embedded into one another or running in eachothers timelines (I have no clue how to do this.) I exported them as html files purely to check if they came out as I designed them with the buttons highlighting and so on, which they did.

I am not sure as to the best way forward, should I try to create a slide show and then create a single html export or do I keep them as separate files and somehow create a link in Flash before I even begin exporting?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Hopeless at Flash

you can load the page swfs using your main swf with the buttons.  for example, if you have projects.swf, aboutus.swf and contacts.swf, you can use the following:

// in your main swf with your buttons.

this.createEmptyMovieClip("targetMC",1);

targetMC._x = wherever you want the left edge of your loaded swf to appear

targetMC._y = wherever you watn the top edge of your loaded swf to appear

aboutusBtn.onRelease=function(){

targetMC.loadMovie("aboutus.swf");

}

projectsBtn.onRelease=function(){

targetMC.loadMovie("projects.swf");

}

contactsBtn.onRelease=function(){

targetMC.loadMovie("contacts.swf");

}

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hopeless at Flash
                Clarionista Level 1

Thanks for all the info, it is only now starting to make sense. Unfortunately I do not desire to get into designing websites or learning ActionScript, I was looking for the simplest route. At this stage this includes making the programme do as much of the work as possible. What I ended up doing was use the getURL function and then centred the page upon opening.

Probably not the fanciest way of going about it but it works and I don't have to think too much. This is my forst foray into web design and learning how to ftp has been a nightmare in itself. Though I prefer to do as much myself as I possibly can as I like to know how things work.

Thank you for all of your assistance so far, I now have to figure out how to create a hyperlink.

• 5. Re: Hopeless at Flash

you're welcome.