1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2009 11:40 AM by Günter Schenk

Question for Günter please, anyone’s thoughts appreciated – ADDT limits

zzipper7 Level 1

About a year ago I build a simple social network type application with very basic features:

Users pages/Public pages

Friends

Comments

Blog

image uploads

etc

I stop working on it because I found PhpFox, well I have had little to no luck making it do what I want due to my lack of understanding of OOP.

My question is, do you know or can you think of any limitations that I should consider before putting any more time into my ADDT application?

I know(through reading quite a bit on security) that I’ll need to simplify my url’s with http rewrites, to keep mean people from hacking my url ID querie but what else should I consider for this simple application?.

You should know that since I built it with ADDT, its not modular, most of the code is per page(as Dreamweaver normally does) and I control all user limitations (like # of image uploads) with on the page “IF” statements.

I realize this is not great efficiency or ideal code writing, but it is the limitation for my skills until I learn OOP better. Then I can master PhpFox or Elgg.

I appreciate any and all comments before I waste any more time on my own social network application.

Thanks everyone

• 1. Re: Question for Günter please, anyone’s thoughts appreciated – ADDT limits
          Günter Schenk Level 4

Hi zzipper7,

...until I learn OOP better. Then I can master PhpFox or Elgg.

IMHO this *is* the answer to your "can you think of any limitations" question

My question is, do you know or can you think of any limitations that I should consider before putting any more time into my ADDT application?

the main limitation to worry about is, that ADDT currently isn´t compatible with PHP 5.3. Other than this it´s clear that applications built with ADDT only provide comparatively basic "web 2.0" (aka AJAX) features except for a handful of components such as the form controls -- AJAX features which are supposed to provide additional functionality will have to be added manually, and it´s up to you (and your application´s "audience") to decide if you can live with this limitation or if your application should provide all those AJAX bells & whistles which would be hard to integrate into ADDT applications.

I know(through reading quite a bit on security) that I’ll need to simplify my url’s with http rewrites, to keep mean people from hacking my url ID querie...

Well, if I wanted, I could also change a "pretty URL" to something completely absurd and see if you - the developer - did provide a "oops, this page is not available" custom HTTP 404 error page

However, in case your ADDT driven application does what you want it do do, and in case a 3rd party application such as PhpFox is too hard to learn, you might still consider sticking with what you´ve built so far. In my opinion the real value of any web application is the degree of control which you, the developer, is able to exercise -- and in case you do know your ADDT driven application inside out while struggling with getting 3rd party scripts to work for you, I personally think the case is clear.

Cheers,

Günter