5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 3:11 PM by Ned Murphy

Loading .swf file into .swf loaded through movieclip

Reign717

I'm using loadMovie("folder/file.swf", "_root.host"); to load the first swf file into a blank movieclip named 'host'.  When I try using the same code it loads the other swf file, it just closes the first one.  I want to have it as more of a popup that can be closed without affecting the original swf file. please help

• 1. Re: Loading .swf file into .swf loaded through movieclip
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

loadMovie() replaces the target movie with the loaded movie, so what you will want to do is use the MovieClip.createEmptyMovieClip() method to first add a child movieclip that you can load the second file into.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Loading .swf file into .swf loaded through movieclip
            Reign717 Level 1

I'm still a novice at this so I'm not sure what I'm doing just yet.  I've haven't used the createEmptyMovieClip function yet so lemme see if I've got this straight.  I can do something like

on (release) {
                MovieClip.createEmptyMovieClip("folder/file.swf", "_root.host");
            }

and just create another 'host' movie clip in the second flash file?

ps-thanks for the quick response, it's nice

• 3. Re: Loading .swf file into .swf loaded through movieclip

Here's more along the lines of what I was saying... you load your first movie the same way as you were...

loadMovie("folder/file.swf", "_root.host");

Then you add an empty movieclip to that swf...

_root.host.createEmptyMovieClip("secondMC", _root.host.getNextHighestDepth();)

Then you load your second movie into that created MC...

_root.host.secondMC.loadMovie(....

And your second movie assumes the life/identity of the empty mc you created.

Hopefully I'm not off target of what you intend.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Loading .swf file into .swf loaded through movieclip
                Reign717 Level 1

Thanks Ned, that was almost exactly what I needed.  Its given me a few other issuses but I'm going in the right direction now.  I wound up using:

_root.host.createEmptyMovieClip("secondMC", _root.host)

as the actions on my frame and:

on (release) {
                    loadMovie("folder/file.swf", "_root.host.secondMC");
                    }

on my button, and that seemed to work.  Now I've got a few other questions but lets start small.  I was wondering if theres a way to load that movieclip in a predetermined spot instead of the top left of the frame.  Also, before I was using

on (release) {
                    unloadMovie("_root.host");

}

for my close buttons.  It still works well for the first swf file, but the button on the new one that's loaded isn't working.  I've tried a number of things like:

unloadMovie("root.host.secondMC");

unloadMovie("secondMC");

unloadMovie("secondMC", "_.root.host");

and I haven't found anything that works.  please help

ps - can you recommend a good tutorial site that might have some of this?

• 5. Re: Loading .swf file into .swf loaded through movieclip

I've always had issues when it comes to properly coding the removal of loaded movie, and trial and error is what usually ends up working for me... I wish I had a better recipe to offer you...  One thing though, unloadMovie("root.host.secondMC");... should be "_root", in case that wasn't a typo.  Also, I do not remember if you should be quoting the argument....  You might try....

unloadMovie(_root.host.secondMC);

... without the quotes... While the argument can be either an instance or a string representation of the instance, it's possible the path shouldn't be in the string