9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 8:25 PM by Joe Riggs

Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files

Will Crash

I recently bought Final Cut Studio 3.  Premiere will not accept the XML 5 scripting from the new FCP but it would accept it fine from FCS 2 with the same XML 5.  When I try to import the XML file it simply says there is an error in importing.  Has anyone had this problem?

• 1. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
          Jim_Simon Level 8

If FCS3 came out after CS4, it's possible Apple made a change that affects the import.

• 2. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
            SL FCP PP

Getting the same issue.  Just a general error.  My guess is Studio 3 has made a change and Adobe needs to correct for this.  I tried it on a MAC with latest PP and FCP and OS 10.5.  I'll try it on a PC with PP soon.

• 3. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The fix is in the forthcoming 4.2 update, due "any time now"...

And don't blame Adobe for this; for once, they're not at fault. This is Apple's doing, and they're generally not too good about letting software manufacturers know what they're up to, until the chips start falling.

• 4. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                Will Crash Level 1

I know it is a Apple problem.  Why they do what they do I will never know.  And honestly, for the first time the guys at Apple were very unhelpful and rude when I asked them about it and usually they are great.  Apple told me that Adobe would have to address the issue because they do not make their software with other companies in mind.  I told him that if they didn't fix it that I would just use Premiere because there was no way I would ever give up After Effects.  I guess we will see what happens.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                  Will Crash Level 1

It is an Apple issue and honestly I don't think it should fall to Adobe to fix it.  I told the guys at Apple that all they did was to assure that a lot of us will start using Premiere because between FCP and After Effects, well...FCP loses everytime.  Now if Adobe would just make a NLE as good as FCP there would never be a problem.  So, I uninstalled FCS 3 and went back to 2 and once again everything is fine.  I don't think the changes were great enough for there to be a FCS3.  In my opinion it should have been and update, and then change the scripting to not be able to use AE.  Dumb, dumb, dumb on Apples part.

• 6. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Now if Adobe would just make a NLE as good as FCP there would never be a problem.

Colin uses both (or has used) and thinks Adobe does make one as good (even better?).

• 7. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Colin uses both (or has used) and thinks Adobe does make one as good (even better?).

Absolutely. I really, truly, madly, deeply loathe FCP with every gram of my being. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Premiere, but I'd pick it, hands down any day, over FCP, which makes me angry from the splash screen on. However, I'm an editor, and you gotta use what you gotta use to get the job done (and make the client happy). I just put the blinders on, and do my job. When a tool gets in the way of doing my job, though, that's when I lose my cool--and FCP has a knack for doing exactly that. Premiere is just more intuitive for me, and I came from 10 years of Avid experience, a platform which most "new" editors say defies logic. Of course, they're usually the ones that have been banging the Apple/FCP drum the loudest...

I will give Apple/FCP two things:

1. FCP is definitely more "feature-rich" than Premiere is, at the present time. It has the functionality and tools that make it probably better suited for a traditional film workflow. However, if you don't need those tools, they just get in the way, and waving the "feature-rich" flag for stuff you don't need is sort of like saying that your car will go 200 miles per hour, when the speed limit is 50, and you only drive 35. Form over function...
                      2. You know that your hardware and software work together... mostly. When you control both, as Apple does, your eliminate a lot the compatibility headaches. Of course, you also tie your customers hands--as in the case with the new XML export--but you're not in a position to care too much because you're doling out the Kool-Aid. I laugh every time I think of that classic Apple ad in which they accused the rest of the computer industry of being too controlling and limiting, in 1984 fashion. They have become what they mocked; they are the Ministry of Information. But when it works, it works... that's all I can say on that.
                      • 8. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                        Ronin66666

Well, if you try to import a XML from Final Cut 7 into Premiere Pro, it doesn't work. The reason is because Apple has changed the label sctructure in the labels of the XML. For example:

Final Cut 6 : <mastercomment2></mastercomment2>  (works in Premiere)

Final Cut 7 : <mastercomment2/>  (doesn't work in Premiere)

What i do is export a XML interchange format version 4 in Final Cut 7. Open in Dreamweaver (as XML editor), and use Search and Replace command from de edit menu:

Search : <(\w*)(.*)/>

Replace : <$1$2></$1>

And mark the "Use regular expression"

Replace all in the document (can be longer in time if the XML is large)

Then save the new XML, import in Premiere CS4... and voila... it works.

I don't know if this rustical method works always, but for me has worked in all the cases.

Bye

P.D. In the attach file there is a file that can be loaded in the Search and Replace option of Dreamwaver to make the job easier.

P.D.2 Sorry for my english

• 9. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                          Joe Riggs Level 1

Hi Colin,

Could you elaborate on the functionality and tools that make FCP better suited for a traditional film workflow in your experience?

Thank You