3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2009 1:09 AM by Jacob Bugge

Selecting multiple anchor points in illustrator

Joshstar24

Hi guys, I have a basic question.

I am in the process of making swirls using the swirl tool. Basically I have created 2 swirls and I want to join only the center anchor points of both swirls. To do this, I know that I have to go to object...path...and join. However, I cant seem to select the 2 center anchor points. I've tried this tons of times and I end up selecting the whole path. I tried using the direct slection tool by dragging a border over the two central anchor points but once again i end up with the whole path selection. I only want to select the 2 center anchor points of both swirls and join them. Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much

Josh

• 1. Re: Selecting multiple anchor points in illustrator
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Join only works on end points or stray points, you cannot join using a point that is in the middle of a path. Stray points look like tiny Xs, which is also what Illustrator displays to show you the centre of an object. It sounds like you are confusing the two symbols. Go to Window > Attributes and toggle the centre point option (that’s at the left of the panel). If the points disappear, then these are centre markers and are not actually points you can manipulate. Can you post a screen shot showing the artwork in question and highlighting the points you wish to join?

• 2. Re: Selecting multiple anchor points in illustrator
            Joshstar24 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Attached is a screenshot highlighting the points I wish to join. Meanwhile, I'll try and toggle the centre point option you mentioned.

[URL=http://img7.imageshack.us/i/illustrator.jpg/][IMG]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2993/illu strator.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks again

Josh

• 3. Re: Selecting multiple anchor points in illustrator
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Josh,

The first image does not show.

It seems that you are actually trying to join end Anchor Points, and that is done with the Direct Selection Tool as you have tried.

I believe something else is is cluttering up things. If you zoom in a use the Direct Selection Tool, you may find that there is something else there, possible duplicate paths. You can look in the View>Document Info palette, change from Document to Objects, and you can use the Layers palette to lock the swirlies so you can see whatever else might be there.

If there is more than the two swirlies, delete the rest and retry.

It seems that you wish to join the swirlies at both ends. Are attempts unsuccessful at both ends? Otherwise, you may join at one end and just select the now single open path and join again; after that, you may lock it and delete whatever is there.