5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2009 12:37 PM by Ned Murphy

Html & flash question

shintashi Level 1

It is possible to embed a flash .swf inside an html web page.

Is it possible to embed an html file, such as a long text file, into a flash .swf space, such as a blank movie clip box?

Is there an alternative way to stick giant text files into a flash style document?

• 1. Re: Html & flash question
          webqaflash Level 3

It is possible to embed a flash .swf inside an html web page.

Ofcourse you can embed flash movie into html page -- search embedding flash movie

Is it possible to embed an html file, such as a long text file, into a flash .swf space, such as a blank movie clip box?

You can include html texts in flash as htmlText

Is there an alternative way to stick giant text files into a flash style document?

You can apply CSS styles in to flash contents

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Html & flash question
            shintashi Level 1

htmlText?

----- Thanks ^_^

I'll look that one up.

• 3. Re: Html & flash question
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use html code in a dynamic textfield using the TextField.htmlText property, but you cannot embed an html file inside a Flash file like you can embed a Flash file in an html file.  Also, Flash only supports a limited number of html tags.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Html & flash question
                shintashi Level 1

I definitely discovered this yesterday. Bold and Italic work, but break, paragraph, A HREF, and Headers didn't. With so many restrictions it seems the htmltext option is worthless (kind of like a new Itouch on a camping trip).

Related question:

Is there a special protocol, in actionscript that allows Youtube videos to be embedded (rather than creating a hotlink to a new html page with the standard youtube embedding technique) ?

Almost related question:

I used this format:

clicke2.onRelease = function(){
                    getURL("http://www.google.com", "_blank");
                }

for a winamp/mp3 radio station button, with the goal of doing something vaguely similar to shoutcast for a more specific list of internet radio stations, as shown below:

clicke4.onRelease = function(){
                    getURL("http://www.sky.fm/mp3/classical.pls", "_blank");
                }

this opens a blank html document and plays in winamp. I tried this:

clicke4.onRelease = function(){
                     getURL("http://www.sky.fm/mp3/classical.pls", "_self");
                }

but it did the same thing - opening a blank page along with the winamp. Opening the winamp is the goal, opening a blank page is not. Is there a way to not open the blank page?

• 5. Re: Html & flash question
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Actually most of the html tags you described are supported by Flash, and ity also supports applying CSS.  Still it is limited.  I'm not sure where you find the tabulation of the supported tags in the AS2 help documents, but if you have access top the AS3 help docs, the table is in the htmlText section.