14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 7:04 PM by the_wine_snob

I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...

Mr. Kareemer Level 1

I suddenly noticed that PE7 is displaying a "no burners detected" message. I've never seen that before in PE7 nor is the drive malfunctioning in any way that would indicate that its going bad. I uninstalled XP CDBurner application thinking that that may have caused the problem. But the problem remained. I have burned CD/DVDs with no problem using Windows and XP CD Burner - no problems there. I'm not sure what PE7 is seeing that I'm not...

• 1. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Are you saying that your Premiere Elements 7 has detected your DVD burner in the past, but suddently has stopped doing so?

Can you still burn to folder in Premiere Elements 7?

To be continued.....

ATR

• 2. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
            Mr. Kareemer Level 1

Yep, it will still encode.

• 3. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is most often caused by a "packet-writing" software "hooking" your burners.

This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Did you add Nero, Roxio, or similar?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                Mr. Kareemer Level 1

I haven't installed any of those apps. I thought CDXPBurner may have caused the problem but it didn't seem to be the culprit.

• 5. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Yep, it will still encode.

I'm not clear on what you mean here. Do you mean that PrE WILL burn to DVD, or that you are able to Burn to Folder and then use a program like ImgBurn to burn to DVD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I uninstalled XP CDBurner application thinking that that may have caused the problem. But the problem remained.

I've been thinking about this statement for a bit now. When you say that you "uninstalled" this module, what do you mean? It is the packet-writing software module that ships and installs with the OS. It normally sits dormant, until it is invoked to perform packet-writing operations on a blank CD, or DVD. Basically, this converts the blank media into a virtual HDD, and allows one to drag-drop files to it, like a regular HDD. Programs, like Quicken invoke this module, should another, like Roxio, or Nero, not be available. If you have Quicken and have ever used the Backup to CD function, then this module will have been invoked. If you just turned it off, then ran Quicken, it would automatically turn it back on. If you physically removed all traces of it from your OS, then it should be gone completely.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS Quicken is not the only program that can call that module, it's just a common one, and is often overlooked when troubleshooting, as Roxio and Nero are much more common causes.

• 7. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                      Mr. Kareemer Level 1

Yeah, I've read about Nero and Roxio and I dont have any of those apps on this system, nor do I have Quicken.

I uninstalled the CDXP Burner application by using the uninstaller in Vista Ult; I didn't restart the PC though and I wasnt sure if that mattered all that much.

Here are other apps installed on my system (everything else is either a game or Office apps)

• Acrobat 9 Pro
                      • Photoshop CS3
                      • Dreamweaver CS4
                      • Premiere Elements v7
                      • Winamp
                      • Capture NX2 (Nikon app for converting batches of .raw photos to jpegs)
                      • Audacity 1.3 (audio file manipulator)
                      • Belarc Advisor
                      • DiskCleaner
                      • Ultimate Defrag
                      • Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Utility

I suppose I could use PE7 to encode to a folder on my system but that only solves an immediate issue but still leaves the nagging question open. Eesh...

• 8. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, looks like a clean system.

Now, does Vista see the burner fine. Control Panel>System>Device Manager should tell you this. Is all working fine? What about burner firmware updates? Are there any available from the mfgr.?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kareemlanier

I think that I am now out of step with the current events of your thread, but I needed to clear something up.

Your issue was that your burner was not being detected. When I questioned you about that you said yes, but you could still encode. Did I understand that correctly......
                          .......You did not see your burner name displayed in the burn dialog where it says "Burn Location", but, nonetheless, if you clicked Burn with a DVD disc in the DVD Burner Drive Tray, you ended up with your Timeline in DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc?

Or are you saying something else?

ATR

• 10. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I had the same question (post #5), and am still not clear on what the meaning of "encode" was there.

As a test for the OP, I'd suggest downloading and installing the freeware burning app, ImgBurn, and seeing if it can find the burner. Even if PrE cannot find the burners, there are occasions where ImgBurn can and function properly. This could give you a backup plan. You would Burn to Folder from PrE and use ImgBurn to do the physical burn to disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

But, I think that we are spinning our wheels unless we know the full significance of "burner not recognized, but can encode".

Perhaps we can draw the user out on this together, before we get involved in activities that just circle around what is being done and what is actually happening.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

• 12. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                                Mr. Kareemer Level 1

Hi Hunt, thanks for replying.

According to Vista, she indicates all is working properly (Device Mgr, etc...).

I have been searching for the drivers for this PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-108 but have not been successful.

I believe I burned some mp3s onto a disk before with no issues then. I'm at a loss.

• 13. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                                  Mr. Kareemer Level 1

Hi AT Romano and The Wine Snob,

Thank you both for your checkins with this thread.

The message appears on the page under the 'Share' tab where you select Disc. After I select Disk, it goes to the next page (as normal) titled "Disc locations: choose location and settings". Below that lists the different options:

• Burn to: Disc
                                  • Disc Name: abcdefgh123456 blah, blah, blah
                                  • Burner Locaton: (there are 2 buttons here; one is blank and the other reads 'rescan')
                                  • Presets: NTSC...
                                  • Quality: Fit contents to available space...

At the bottom of the this page, there are the two standard buttons:  Back and Burn (Burn is grayed out)

That's it.

• 14. Re: I'm starting to see a strange error... in PE7...
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for getting back.

At this point, I would download and install ImgBurn. The first thing that it does at launch is survey your system for all properly installed burners. Even if you do not use it to do the physical burn, this part of the program is very worthwhile.

Good luck,

Hunt