15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 4:33 PM by A.T. Romano

How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?

sanray19

I have created a slide show in PE 6 and exported it to PreE4, No matter what I do I can't seem to break it apart in PreE 4. Upon right clicking on everything and anything the "Break Apart PE Slideshow" selection remains dimmed and unavailable. I'm susposed to right click the slideshow but where is it? What am I doing wrong or not doing? My Timeline has no photos wIth only the audio tracks showing. Is this normal? If so, I find it quite difficult to relate a particlar photo to the Timeline so I work mainly with the Sceneline.. As you can see, I'm a beginner with PreE4!

Sanray19

• 1. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you exported it directly to Premiere Elements as in a slideshow interchange format, you can break it apart by right-clicking.

If you sent it over as a WMV, you will not be able to.

Is it a WMV file?

• 2. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sanray19

Did you read my writeup on Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements integration in your other thread?

First, when you are finished creating your slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6 Slideshow Editor, ddid you go to the top of the interface to Output Menu, click Output Menu icon, and select "Send to Premiere Elements" from the list of output choices?

When you do that, Premiere Elements 4 will open and you will be shown the New Project Dialog where you set your project preset. After you do that, the workspace will open and you will find as I said before:

a. in Media: a folder with the components of your slideshow and in addition a file with the slideshow in video format

b. on the Timeline you will see your slideshow in video format, video on Video Track 1 and audio on Audio Track 2...if you use the Sceneline instead, you will find your slideshow in video format in scene spot #`1 of the Filmstrip there, with just the opening of the slideshow displayed in the thumbnail.

If you right click the video on the Timeline or the scene spot for the slideshow in the Filmstrip, you should see "Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow" active, not grayed out.

Please give this another look. And, if you have not already, please read over my writeup on Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements integration in your other thread?

By the way, what is the size and content of this slideshow that you are transferring to Premiere Elements from Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor?

ATR

• 3. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              If you exported it directly to Premiere Elements as in a slideshow interchange format, you can break it apart by right-clicking.

This is the "secret" to being able to "Break Apart" a SlideShow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sanray19

Both Steve Grisetti and Hunt have stressed the use of the Photoshop Elements 6 outputted "slideshow interchange format" to be able to have the Break Apart Adobe Slideshow Editor command available in Premiere Elements 4.

Since I have not used the term "slideshow interchange format" in my responses to you, I wanted to make sure that you knew that I was not talking at cross purposes with my details.

"Slideshow interchange format" is what ends up on the Premiere Elements Timeline when you follow the details that I have given you. Instead of "Slideshow interchange format", I often use the language "non wmv route". We are all talking about the same thing.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                  sanray19 Level 1

I aplogize for my ineptness! I don't know what I've done in exporting to PremiereE 4 but obviously I've goofed somewhere since I'm unable to break apart my slide show in PreE4 or to view it on theTimeline as you describe. So, with the instructions you've provided in such great detail, I think it would be best for me to start over and recreate my slide show in PSE 6 and export it to PreE 4 carefully following the step by step instructions that you've been kind enough to provide.

I'll keep you posted of how I fare.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to help me. It's much appreciated.

Sanray19  . 

• 6. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sanray19

It is not you. Sometimes the program suffers from mysterious problems. When that happens, there are several possibilities for correcting them. Damaged files or projects can happen, so your idea to start a new project is a good idea.

While you are doing that, keep watch on your computer resources, such as available RAM and free hard drive space while Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements is running. Low resources can be another cause of computer as well as Premiere Elements unexplained and strange happenings.

As always, I will be watching for your results which I feel will be good. Do not hesitate to ask if something does not look right as you proceed.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR (or Steve G),

This is a question for my edification. Often one purchases and installs the bundle with PSE and PrE at the same time. I would assume that all interfacing links and associations between those two programs are installed and hooked up. If one buys, say PSE and installs it, then later installs PrE, are all of the interfacing links and associations automatically put into place, or are there any associations that the user must do by hand?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                        Peet Marais

If I understand correctly both Steve and Hunt advocate use of Elements 6 to create the entire slideshow and then exporting to Premier to do final editing and burning of a DVD.

I am new to using Premier 4 but it seems to be an inefficient way of working. Why not just create everything in Premier instead of doing it once and then again changing after export to Premiere. The only two functionalities apparently not available in Premier are “Quick Sort” and “Fit to Audio”. However it has a lot of additional functionalities (different transitions, Effects, Themes etc.).

• 9. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I do all of my SlideShows inside of PrPro, my NLE of choice. I have to say that everything is done by hand, and there is little automation in this process. If I do animations, these are done manually with Effects>Motion>Scale & Position Keyframes. PrE can do most of the same things, though without the automation that PSE provides.

Where PSE comes in handy is the automation that it provides. I do not use any, as I feel that each image is unique, and no program can do complete justice to them, when any automation is employed. Still, for most people, the automation is nice and very useful. It can save a ton of time and works well.

For additional editing in PrE, with a PSE SlideShow, the Break Apart feature, mentioned in this thread can be very helpful. This is, however, something to use after the intitial editing has been completed.

Sorry if I led you astray on my workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Other than cost considerations, you get the same installation discs buying the bundle Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements as you would buying each separately. The installation discs in the bundle are the same as the installation disc in the standalone.

To answer your question:

If one buys, say PSE and installs it, then later installs PrE, are all of the interfacing links and associations automatically put into place, or are there any associations that the user must do by hand?

Yes, all of the interfacing links and associations automatically put into place. No associations that the user must do by hand. Right now I cannot think of any exceptions to my generalizations just made.

Premiere Elements Organizer will automatically share the Photoshop Elements Organizer Catalog Database (currently in use there). You would have to double check to make sure that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on this computer. And, depending on how many other versions of these programs are still installed, you may have to do some home work on file association (Open Withs for .psd for occasional circumstances).

You can also install in Premiere Elements the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw if you like. With Get Media/Files & Folders, you can import .CRW as well as .dng files. And and But, if you wanted to edit the .CRW on the Premiere Elements Timeline, you would double click the .CRW file there, select Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements, and then the Camera Raw Dialog would open for editing of this .CRW. When finished editing the .CRW, you would go back to Premiere Elements with the image updated.

But, I am heading into integration of the programs and detouring from the intent of the original question. So, I will stop here. But, I would bring up one interesting trivia...even if you have Premiere Elements installed and your computer has never seen Photoshop Elements, the Premiere Elements Program File contains a Photoshop Elements Folder with Organizer/Catalog/Database files that trace back to a Photoshop Elements that is not even there. So, the program is ready for intergretion whether you are or not.

ATR

• 11. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peet Marais,

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect this is true for the others who have responded to the questions asked.

My responses were not intended to recommend or not recommend a particular approach to the classic question of whether to use

Photoshop Elements and Premiere integrated to create and export a video file

or

Premiere Elements alone to create a slideshow and export a video file.

There are pros and cons to each approach. You need to evaluate your goals and see what works for you.

As you say, some prefer

the pans & zooms of Photoshop Elements in contrast to pans or zooms (Effects/Video Effects/Preset) and/or keyframing of Premiere Elements.

the Fit Audio to Slides of Photoshop Elements in contrast to other audio slide adjustments in Premiere Elements

None of the pros or cons are deal breakers one way or the other. You need to go with what works for you.

The intent of my responses so far has been to help a user resolve an issue with the path selected. It is one that does work and does work well. Workarounds are great and often attractive at times in troubleshooting, but if a fix is possible that should be the first choice in troubleshooting (I think.)

ATR

(Although Premiere Elements' claim to fame is as a video editor, I believe it can be used to create a great slideshow that can be exported in a variety of formats.)

• 12. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for the details. I had assumed this to be the case, but had never gotten clarification on it.

What prompted my question was a post to the PrPro forum, about the Production Studio suite. That package contained PrPro, Encore and AfterEffects (plus some other Adobe programs). If purchased and installed as the full suite, those three programs were "connected" by Adobe Dynamic Link (DL). However, if one purchased those three programs separately, there was no DL and none could be added. It was the full suite - or nothing along the lines of DL. Many people were mad, because they owned one, or so, of the programs already, and hence did not want the suite. They wanted to be able to add the appropriate program(s) later, and get DL. There was no way to do that.

I appreciate the clarification,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  (Although Premiere Elements' claim to fame is as a video editor, I believe it can be used to create a great slideshow that can be exported in a variety of formats.)

I believe that it can do just about everything that PrPro can do with a SlideShow, plus it has the Themes/Instant Movies that can be added. This sort of treatment is missing in PrPro. With the exception of some of the interfaces and some of the Effects, PrE should be just as capable as PrPro, which is the program that I use.

Hunt

• 14. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Any chance that Adobe will cave into pressure and find a way for the Adobe Dynamic Link to work after the fact for these programs involved? Somehow I doubt it, but you are talking expensive items whose sales drops might be enough momentum for Adobe to rethink the issue.

Now I have a question for you before I head to TV and the football season opener for the Patriots. You mentioned Premiere Pro and Encore included in the Production Studio Suite. With regard to those program arrangements and DVD Menu, do you have a choice of a "Create Menu" section in Premiere Pro, followed to burn to disc there as well as transferring the Premiere Pro video to Encore for "Create Menu" there, followed by burn to disc in that Encore?

ATR

• 15. Re: How to Break Apart PE Slldeshow?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Any chance that Adobe will cave into pressure and find a way for the Adobe Dynamic Link to work after the fact for these programs involved?

I cannot answer this. As of CS4, there are now more "suites" being bundled. I'd not suspect that Adobe would add DL to individually purchased programs, but have been surprised before. Because of the pricing for some of the suites, I'd think that Adobe would address things that way - make it cheaper to get a suite from your single program license (maybe better, if you already own, say two), than to upgrade individual programs. That is one of the reasons that I am looking at the Master Suite - it will upgrade PrPro, Encore, AE, AI, PS, Flash, Dreamweaver, InDesign and several others. It is not cheap, but to upgrade individual programs is not cheap either, and one gets the plus of DL.

Now I have a question for you before I head to TV and the football season opener for the Patriots. You mentioned Premiere Pro and Encore included in the Production Studio Suite. With regard to those program arrangements and DVD Menu, do you have a choice of a "Create Menu" section in Premiere Pro, followed to burn to disc there as well as transferring the Premiere Pro video to Encore for "Create Menu" there, followed by burn to disc in that Encore?

I have only used the DVD capabilities in PrPro 2.0 a couple of times. I found it clunky and limiting. Every Project that I have done over the last several years has been done in Encore. BTW, PrPro 2.0 was the last version that could also author a DVD. Since CS3 was introduced, no version of PrPro can author/burn a DVD. Whenever there's a question about authoring in PrPro 2.0, I have to fire up the program and refresh my feeble memory. I can pretty much quote the Encore manual, without much thought, because I use it so much.

I only wish that Encore was still sold as a stand-alone program, as I would sell hundreds of copies of it. That is how much I enjoy that program.

For my Menus, I usually start with the Blank Menu, and customize it greatly. I believe that it is the same in both the Libraries of my PrPro 2.0 and Encore 2.0. I also have a collection of Menus (most based on that Blank Menu), that get re-used a lot. I do not normally use the Library Menus, though will bring in Buttons, etc. Using the Blank Menu gets me the basics already set up. I then use PS for 99% of my "construction." Encore does have some Menu editing capabilities, but I find that I use only Color Sets (not available in PS), and do the rest in PS.

Hope that this helps answer your questions.

Hunt