15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 3:48 PM by Kurt_777

Changing jpg timespan

dsw182

I'm making a timelapse video in PE7, using 300 jpg images. I've imported the images into PE, and can easily move them into the timeline.

The problem is that PE automatically makes each image six seconds in length. I know I can change the length of the image by "Right click > Time Stretch" but I don't want to have to do that 300 times.

Is there a way to either:

- change the length of all the images in one go

- change the length that PE automatically sets them to

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Changing jpg timespan
          A.T. Romano Level 7

If you want to change the default still duration for Premiere Elements, beforehand Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Still Image Default Duration there is given as 150 frames which is equivalent to 5 sec (at 30 frames/sec). If you wanted to set that duration at 10 sec, you would set 300 frames, etc. The values that you set will remain until you change them.

Another route to all still image durations same and at the same time is via:

1. Bring Media into Project Media View and hit "icon" button at bottom to get a better view for sorting and placing

2. highlight the photos wanted and right click the highlight

3. select Create Slideshow, set your Image Duration (there you can set for frames or seconds)

4. when you click OK, you will find your images in order on the Timeline each with the same duration (this works for still duration OR transition duration, but not both.

Once you have photos on the Timeline, it is a one at the time operation changing the still duration.

Any questions, please ask.

ATR

• 2. Re: Changing jpg timespan
            dsw182 Level 1

Many thanks. I'll give those two ideas a go.

• 3. Re: Changing jpg timespan
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Edit>Preferences, that ATR suggested will only affect images Imported AFTER you make the change. If you have 300 images, I would make those changes, and then re-Import the still images.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I am not sure that I get the flow of your last comment. My comments clearly address "beforehand" and a Create Slideshow feature (also a before the photos hit the Timeline operation).

I read the question as how do you get your photos on the Premiere Elements Timeline with a still duration of something other than 6 seconds. It sounded like the still default duration somewhere along the line got changed from the Premiere Elements' default of 150 frames (5 sec) to 180 frames (6 sec). That 6 sec is not the Premiere Elements' default still duration as set up by the program.

My suggestion that I thought was transmitted was:

a. Make the decision of either of the suggested paths

b. Either case, set the appropriate still default duration Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

c. Then import your photos into Media and proceed according to the path decision.

Are we on the same page, but just coming at the same thing rephased?

ATR

• 5. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

My comments were predicated on too many users feeling that if they changed the Edit>Preferences, then those files already Imported might be changes too. They will not. Only those Imported AFTER the change will be affected. Unfortunately, they will not, and too many have fallen victim to that thought. I just wanted to make sure that the OP was fully aware that any changes in Edit>Preferences would ONLY take place with later Imports.

Sorry to step on your toes,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Sorry that you misread my post. No toes involved.

I was not clear on your message and wanted to make sure that I was not overlooking a point about an alternative approach. I think I pointed out where I had question and then I asked.

Are we OK? I hope so.

ATR

• 7. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                      Kurt_777 Level 1

Hunt, can I butt in here and ask a related question? Can the duration of a still image be set to less than 1 second? For example if one wanted to create a time lapse shot of moving clouds, without a video camera capable of single frame shooting, one could simply set it on a tripod, and take a photograph every 30 seconds or so. Then, each imported image would be like a single frame taken at 30 second intervals in a cine camera.

Kurt.

• 8. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You certainly can, Kurt!

• 9. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kurt_777

This is what I have observed

Premiere Elements 7

Edit Menu/Preferences/General/"Still Image Duration" where the units are in frames, not seconds

The program will tell you that the frame value range = between 1 and 1000000.

So, @30 frames per second, the second value range = about  between 0.03 and 33333.

So, yes to your question.

Create Slideshow Feature which offers units in frames or seconds

Frame Value Range, must be equal to 1.

Seconds Value Range, must be within 1 and 86400 seconds.

So, it looks like your answer would be No for this approach.

If you were using in a PAL setup where @25 frames per second,

Edit Menu/Preferences/General/"Still Image Duration", frame value range would be the same as above, but when you calculate the second value range,

that would be about between 0.04 and 41667.

Create Slideshow Feature frame value range and seconds value range would be the same as above for NTSC.

Check it out and see if you observe the same.

ATR

• 10. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

The "short" limit is one Frame. I've used 3-Frame Durations for an imitation of Stop Motion filming.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I fear that it was I, who mis-read a post.

There are basically three ways to establish Still Duration in a Project.

1.) Edit>Preferences>General>Still Duration (before Import of stills)

2.) With Imported stills, the Click-drag on the Head, or Tail to increase/decrease the Duration. [I like to have the Info Panel open when I do this, unless I am matching to, say Beat Markers, or similar.] This can be done, regardless of what the Import Duration was set to, but it is all by hand.

3.) This is a take-off on #1, and I'm not even sure that PrE offers this, but Import As Numbered Sequence will allow for stills, with incremental file name numbers to be Imported, and even the default Transition added to them. As stated, not sure if PrE offers this, but PrPro does - will check and report back. This is a takeoff on #1 because the Durantion needs to be set first.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I was not familiar with the Create SlideShow feature. That sounds exactly like my #3 above, plus it has a dialog screen for it, so you could override the Edit>Preferences settings.

Thank you for that, as it saves me looking all over for the wrong terminology for the equivilent of my #3.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                                  dsw182 Level 1

I altered the settings and it seems to have worked. It took a bit of playing around the get the correct duration I wanted.

(and, yes, you do have to re-import the images after the changing the settings - so that was handy to know)

Each image ended up being 00:00: 00: 03 in length.

Here is the result -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJTodROAfM

Many thanks for all gave advice.

• 14. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

As did you, I found that 3 Frames was about right for my "time-lapse" stop-motion. Two Frames was just too short, and 4 was too long. Much will depend on one's source shots and the mood that they wish to achieve.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Changing jpg timespan
                                      Kurt_777 Level 1

Thanks, ATR. I'll go and try that.

Incidentally, I should point out that, whenever I ask a question here, I'm not using the same computer on which I have PrE installed. That one is on the ground floor. So, I can't quickly open PrE and check these things as they occur to me.

I only asked this question because Guy Catelli asked his question and it set me wondering. I could have gone downstairs, fired up the other computer, and found out by experimenting, but I thought I'd ask the question while it was still part of a current thread, rather than coming back later and starting a new thread in the event that I couldn't figure it out myself. That would be much later. At present, due to an unexpected family obligation, I don't get time to play with PrE much, unfortunately. Have to be content with thinkin', not doin'.

Just to let you and all know that I take your point about "observing."

Kurt.