3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2009 1:09 PM by Harm Millaard

question for editing HD video

mjord09

i have just purchased a canon hf200 video camcorder for some side work for my wife and I and started getting into video editing.

i use tipard hd video converter to convert the mts files to hd files.

my first question is this, what is the best HD video formats for converting from .mts , and then what settings are best for HD editing and exporting in premiere pro cs4.

and any other advice for converting and using HD videos.

my computer build is this:

hard drive:
      Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive)          for OS files

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives           for FILES
      video card:

motherboard:
      ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

power supply:
      CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

cpu:
      Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

cpu fan:
      Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready

memory:
      G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI

dvd burner:
      SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223Q LightScribe Support

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

video card:
      SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

• 1. Re: question for editing HD video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

i use tipard hd video converter to convert the mts files to hd files.

If you have updated to 4.1, there is no reason to convert the material. Create an AVCHD sequence, import your footage and edit.

Export settings depend on what you want to deliver, BR, DVD, web?

BTW, nice system, should be enough to edit this material.

• 2. Re: question for editing HD video
            mjord09 Level 1

thanks for quick reply, to tell you the truth, im not to familiar with premiere at all, i used sony for a while but i love dreamweaver, flash, and photoshop and i have premiere so might as well start using it for the integration.  i just checked and it is updated with last update i guess to 4.1.

so i just import straight from camcorder with this? or download files to computer and bring them into premiere?

"edit"

my wife is a sorta free lance reporter and i edit her stuff, so i have to take several shots of her and edit them all, that is why i asked the importing question.

• 3. Re: question for editing HD video
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              so i just import straight from camcorder with this? or download files to computer and bring them into premiere?

Downloading means getting files from the internet to your computer. Importing files is simply copying them from a card/HD to your PC and yes, in the case of AVCHD you copy the directory, all sub-directories and files to your hard disk and in PR import that directory with all the subdirectories.