21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 8:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Cannot edit AVI files

SnakeSK Level 1

Hello,

We´ve ran into problem with Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows 7 Ultimate machine. The problem is, the PPCS4 does not let us edit the AVI files (doesn´t matter what´s inside, DivX, XviD, h264, raw). It recognizes the lenght, but it´s like it stretches out the first 3 or 5 seconds to the (lets say) 3 minutes movie (or whatever the lenght of the footage is), so the audio is skipping, and so is the video.

We´ve already tried reinstalling all the necessary codecs (including the CoreAVC, DivX Pro, CineForm codecs and so on), we even disabled the built-in system codecs (the ones that are preinstalled in the Windows operating system), but no luck. We can work with other files just fine, including FLV, WMVs and other formats. Only the AVI is problematic, regardless the internal codec. This does not happen in After Effects, and even works in Photoshop. Have anyone experienced this kind of problem?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Most people that try to edit a delivery format run into those problems. The solution is to to use editable formats. So stay away from DivX, XVid and the like for use in PR, or use freeware like WMM.

• 2. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Convert to an EDIT type of file... DV AVI Type 2 with 48khz sound

• 3. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
              SnakeSK Level 1

You know, converting is not solution here, we cannot send clients away just because they are using AVI files, we also cannot tell them "use Panasonic P2/AVCHD/MPEG2 recoder instead", we didn´t have these kind of problems with Windows Vista / Server 2008 machines, not even on my home machine with Win 7 RC I have this problem.

• 4. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Use another program than PR for editing material unsuitable for editing in that case. The only sensible solution if you want to use PR is to convert to something editable, like John said. It is like you have a diesel car and you can only get gas but no diesel. Do you use that or use a different car?

• 5. Re: Cannot edit AVI files

>just because they are using AVI files

AVI really means nothing at all... I could save a MS Word document as MYDOC.AVI and that does not mean that it would edit in Premiere

The CODEC inside the AVI wrapper is the key... some codecs are meant only to be viewed, others to be edited... view codecs do not edit well, if at all, in Premiere

If someone brings you a view file, no matter the last 3 letters after the . (that's a dot) then you convert it to an edit file or use a different tool

• 6. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

we cannot send clients away just because they are using AVI files

I have to question the legality of editing media using those codecs.  No camera uses them.  The overwhelming frequencey of their use is for video that would be illegal for you to edit.

• 7. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                      SnakeSK Level 1

John T Smith wrote:

>just because they are using AVI files

AVI really means nothing at all... I could save a MS Word document as MYDOC.AVI and that does not mean that it would edit in Premiere

The CODEC inside the AVI wrapper is the key... some codecs are meant only to be viewed, others to be edited... view codecs do not edit well, if at all, in Premiere

If someone brings you a view file, no matter the last 3 letters after the . (that's a dot) then you convert it to an edit file or use a different tool

I know that.

JSS1138 wrote:

we cannot send clients away just because they are using AVI files

I have to question the legality of editing media using those codecs.  No camera uses them.  The overwhelming frequencey of their use is for video that would be illegal for you to edit.

As it´s been said before, AVI is just a container, you can put anything into it, not specifically recorders use these, but it´s a common filetype, so people use it. I can´t change what clients give me. If someone comes with .m2ts file, should I call police just because this is a filetype used on Blu-Ray discs?

So the problem lies in Windows 7 itself, not in Premiere (well, partially), from what I have found, Windows 7 uses the new MF (Media Foundation) and not DirectShow (as in previous versions). Adobe is mostly using DS, and when it comes to that stretching, these are actually segments of the file splitted by Microsoft AVI splitter MF method. It all goes fine IF I put there a file which is using DS, when it comes to MF, this thing happens.

I´m a little sceptic about Adobe releasing an update .

• 8. Re: Cannot edit AVI files

>sceptic about Adobe releasing an update

Since this is a USER forum and not Adobe support the people here who might know (ie-Beta test crew) have had to sign saying they won't say

I will GUESS that Adobe will issue some kind of update when Win 7 is officially release in October... anyone using Win 7 now is either still using Beta software, or they have a Microsoft subscription of some sort and are able to download the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) version from Microsoft

I have the RTM Win 7 64bit since I'm staff at a University with an agreement with Microsoft that allows me to download "some" Microsoft programs for free... but I'm not going to build an i7 64bit computer and start using Win 7 until AFTER Adobe issues some kind of update

That may be an update to CS4 and it may be a new CS5... especially to go to a full 64bit version

I of course have no idea what the update or CS5 will do about editing view only files... but again I will guess that Adobe is not going to try and add codecs like xvid/divx to the edit process

Bottom line here... if a file doesn't work, convert to something that will work

• 9. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          You know, converting is not solution here, we cannot send clients away just because they are using AVI files

I agree. I get all sorts of delivery format material. I just tell my clients of the quality hit and then convert. That is part of what I do.

This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on the concept of a "wrapper."

This is part of the "biz," and one should not turn their back on getting things prepared for editing, even with that quality hit. It is part of the territory. I have been amazed at the number of times that the client COULD find better camera footage, even after they said that that DVD was the best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I´m a little sceptic about Adobe releasing an update

You should be skeptical of Adobe issuing an update for delivery formats. They are not meant for editing, but only as a delivery format.

It is pursuant on the editor to manipulate the footage for editing, at the loss in quality from the high compression. This is not "rocket science." It happens all of the time.

I would highly recommend DigitalMedia Converter, and probably several other utilities to handle this footage for your clients. I use an entire "toolbox" of utilites, depending on what I get handed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, I thought that you wanted an Adobe update to handle your clients' delivery formats.

If you are looking for direct support for Win7, then maybe you need to wait until it is actually released, and hence, out of beta. Think about that for a moment. An OS is in beta, and one would expect that some other software developer would be releasing updates for each build of a beta? I cannot imagine that happening. When Win7 is released (1-3 mos.?), it will likely be that Adobe will be working on an update/upgrade, depending on the schedule.

Hey, I wonder why Adobe has not released an update for a 128-bit OS. That can't be too far behind, can it?

Since many Adobe programs worked well with early builds of Win7, but then later builds killed that, it would seem logical that Adobe might wait until a release of a final, and an SDK for that OS. That is what I would do, were I Adobe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

As it´s been said before, AVI is just a container, you can put anything into it, not specifically recorders use these, but it´s a common filetype, so people use it.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that what people use these codecs for most of the time is media that it would be illegal for you to edit.  People don't typically use these codecs for home videos and things they shot themselvs, because no camera uses them.

• 13. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  If someone comes with .m2ts file, should I call police just because this is a filetype used on Blu-Ray discs?

The file format isn't the issue, the content is.  Most files using the codecs in question are copyrighted material.  So if someone came to you with an .m2ts file from their AVCHD camera, you're good.  But if they came to you with an .m2ts file from a Hollywood Blu-ray movie, yes you should call the police.  (Or at least turn them away.)

• 14. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I will GUESS that Adobe will issue some kind of update when Win 7 is officially release in October.

I'd be surprised if any version less than CS5 had official Win 7 support from Adobe.

• 15. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know about any legal issues, but will admit that these files are far less likely to be successfully edited, than most.

I get handed a lot of similar, and all are legaal, to the best of my ability to tell. Often, these are internally produced files, where the editor did not retain the files required. Happens too often.

Still, the answer is to convert these, and to inform the client of the loss in quality that will very likely result. "Stuff" happens, and it is not Adobe's fault - only that of the client.

Now, this does not address the legality of the OP's footage, and only that of my clients.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        where the editor did not retain the files required.

Just out of curiosity, why is an editor handing things off to you rather than doing the work himself?

• 17. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

In the 3-4 cases, where this has happend, the reasons were:

1.) original editor gone, or no longer in business

2.) original editor did not do a good job of following instructions/directions

3.) back to the OP's comment about "turning away a client," well some editors do not mind doing this, even if resolution exists and work has already been done. I'm like the OP in that I'd rather take on the extra work, to try and satisfy the client.

I can image a few other possible scenarios, but have not encountered them yet.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

But in the case of 1 and 2, you'd think the entity that hired the other editor would have the original media, no?

• 19. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

One would think, but it was not so in my cases. On one, the client had to sue to get the Project and what there was of it. On the other, they just got an external drive and a note that said, "that's all folks."

Now, If I got pulled off of a Project for any reason, the client would get everything, and in the best form possible. "Stuff" happens. Some folk are just not right for all assignments.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

It's people like that give us true 'professionals' (a term which includes not only the connotation of a certain skill level, but also of a level of responsibility) a bad rep.

• 21. Re: Cannot edit AVI files
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I do agree. For decades I saw similar amongst the professional still photographic community. I worked very hard with ASMP to try and educate all member photographers on good, ethical business practices. Most of the youngsters, who I mentored, got it, and incorporated it into their business practices.

In a heartbeat, I'd offer the same advice to any professional video group. In the end, it is about sound business practices and great business ethics.

On one of my last still assignments, I handed over all the images, and helped the photographer, who followed me, because I was not the right choice for that project. I got paid, but did divorce myself from the assignment. My only goal was to get the client the best job possible.

Hunt