7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 10:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing / Codec Issues

RLS0812

This is the 4th major problem I am having.

Adobe Premiere 7 Pro, no CSes, refuses to reconize anything with the file extention .mp4 and claims it does not have the support for the file type when I drag and drop.

Here is the funny bit ... I changed the file extantion to .mpg , with out converting it. I can inport and drag - drop the same file now.

This means that Premiere DOES have the nessary support  to import the files, so why does it refuse anything with the .mp4 extention?

... I am starting to regret spending $150 for the program ...

• 1. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I changed the file extantion to .mpg , with out converting it. I can inport and drag - drop the same file now.

This could mean that PrPro does not have the proper CODEC's, based on the file extensions that you are offering.

Where did these files come from? Did you Capture them from a camera, or acquire them from some other method.

I am starting to regret spending $150 for the program ...

Wow, you got a deal. Now, I have owned many versions, and have never been offered even the upgrade at this price. Do you play golf with the president of Adobe, or something? I would kiss the ground around the 18th green.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
            RLS0812 Level 1

Shopping around helps alot

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-7-0/dp/B0000AJXWP

The .mp4  works fine on 3 of 4 of my main video players

BTW I have Win XP

• 3. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Support for .mp4 video was 'officially' added for the first time in CS4 in the form of AVCHD.  I would say your version is seeing the file extension and saying "Wait a minute fella, I don't know what that is."

• 4. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, there is no such thing as Premiere Pro 7

There was a Premiere 7 which was bundled with some computers, and was the same thing as Premiere Pro 1

This was right after Premiere 6.5 and was during the time when Adobe was changing the name over to Pro (I think there was also a version issued for a short while that was called Premiere Standard, but not 100% sure of that one)

I don't remember the hardware that P7 came with (maybe Sony Vaio?) but since it is really OLD now, there are very likely several new video formats it won't edit

• 5. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It would be interesting to find out if this could still be registerd with Adobe.

• 6. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The .mp4  works fine on 3 of 4 of my main video players

There is a world of difference between playing and editing material. PrPro is an editor, so it needs more than to just play a file.

Can you Open your Audio in Audition, Soundbooth or the freeware program, Audacity? If so, just do a Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and Import that WAV into PrPro. Sync them up, and edit away. If you need advice on syncing, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Importing / Codec Issues
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

My guess would be that Amazon combined the names, Premiere 7.0 and Premiere Pro 1.0 and came up with this - just a guess. IIRC, Pr 7.0 (also called PrPro 1.0) was also bundled with some cameras and capture cards/bridges. It was considered an OEM on some Sony (and others?) computers and came preinstalled. I have yet to ever find any differences between Pr 7.0 and PrPro 1.0, but there might have been. With the "Pro" designation, there was a total rewrite of the code - I've just never seen any sort of comparison between what seems to be the same version of the program, but with two confusingly different names.

Maybe some Adobe historian can give the definitive answer to this?

Hunt