21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 8:59 AM by SpareWheel

how to have metadata show same settings every time opened

ucwotic

So I create new settings and save them and they show up fine in the project panel.  But every subsequent time I open the project panel it has reverted to default settings and I have to click on my settings again.  How to have "my settings" become the default?  Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading.  Bo

• 1. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Wasn't this issue handled with an update?  Are you using the latest 4.1?

• 2. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
            ucwotic Level 1

Jim - this is a current issue with Premiere Pro CS4.  If it is a software problem (and not my ignorance) then it appears not to have been corrected in 4.1.0    (There are no updates later than this.)  Any assistance much appreciated.  It is really quite a time-consuming nuisance.  Thanks

• 3. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
              shooternz Level 6

By metadata I assume you might be talking about the "columns" in the Project Window.

If that is the case...my column settings open as I set (and saved) them every time I open a new project. ( and I just checked by opening one).

(CS4.1 Windows)

• 4. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                ucwotic Level 1

must be me then - here's my steps:

1.  Open project window/metadata display

2. Click "Premiere project metadata" (as the only option wanted)

3. Tick the settings wanted

4. Click "save settings" and name "my settings"

5. Return to project window - settings are as wanted.

6. Exit project window.

However next time I return to the project window the settings have defaulted back to original and I have to go back and select "my settings".

So my settings are saved but will not open as default settings.

Could be I'm going wrong somewhere?

• 5. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Works fine for me, too.  (In the same project.  Column settings aren't saved across projects.)

One difference I see is that I don't 'save' anything.  I just change them, and they stay.

• 6. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                    ucwotic Level 1

This question remains open.  If your windows PC can retain Premiere Pro metadata settings (the info columns in the Project panel)  then please have a go at helping.  It seems there are conflicting ways that settings operate on different PC's.  For instance Jim Simon says that settings are not saved across projects but Shooternz says that they definitely are saved - and that he just proved it again to himself on his PC.  However no one can point out where I'm going wrong.

By the way - who determines that a question is "Possibly Answered".  This question has in no way yet been answered.  Thanks for reading.  I'm far from being a newbie but this v. simple question is not yet solved.

• 7. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                      shooternz Level 6

I will re iterate that I opened a NEW Project and the column settings opened as I had set and saved them previously.

ie they defaulted to my saved setting.

I

• 8. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Jim Simon says that settings are not saved across projects

That is correct. Each project can have different settings, specific to that project. When a project is saved, the column settings are saved as well. When another project is opened, it will use the column settings that were in use the last time it was saved. It will not use the settings from another project, hence not ACROSS projects.

• 9. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                          ucwotic Level 1

Right then - settings can be saved  I am told.  But it does not work for me.  Perhaps someone might be able to tell me then what to do.  Seems people are telling me only that  it can be done.     The implication is "therefore you should be able to" - not helpful yet.   Is there possibly some other setting elsewhere for "save my settings as default" etc? 

• 10. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I just tried saving the column settings, and it did indeed stay for a newly created project.  (That's something I didn't know it could do.)  Not sure why it isn't working for you.

• 11. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                              ucwotic Level 1

Thanks very much to you all for your considerations.  The question remains open but it seems that the problem must be "idiopathic" as they say in the medical trade when they don't have a clue as to why something happens only to you.  It is helpful in a general way to know that everyone's else's system is operating correctly.  I'll let the forum know if I find it is indeed some idiotic oversight on my part.  Thanks and I'll call it done unless someone else can replicate the same symptom.

• 12. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I just tried saving the column settings, and it did indeed stay for a newly created project.

Jim,

I believe that this was added in CS4 (maybe CS4.1?). In previous versions, there was a global "default" for new Projects. Do not recall of any way to change that. When one modified the Columns settings, and Saved the Project, they "stuck" for that Project. Any new Project, however, would have the old default. Now, PrPro has a "memory" that should "stick" (except in the OP's case) for all new Projects.

Hunt

• 13. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  The question remains open but it seems that the problem must be "idiopathic" as they say in the medical trade when they don't have a clue as to why something happens only to you.

Since things do not seem to be working, as the do for others, and should do by design, I wonder if your Preferences file could be corrupted.

It might be worth the effort to rename your existing Preferences file to something else, say [Filename]prefs.OLD. Then restart PrPro and let it rebuild the PREFS file. You will still have your old one, as a backup. Test the Columns setting with the new one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    Jim Simon says that settings are not saved across projects

That is correct. Each project can have different settings, specific to that project. When a project is saved, the column settings are saved as well. When another project is opened, it will use the column settings that were in use the last time it was saved. It will not use the settings from another project, hence not ACROSS projects.

Have you actually tried this Harm?

We now have Jim confirming, that as I stated, the setting for columns will "stick" when opening a new Project.

To the O.P...this only indicates it can be done.   I can not advise you why it does not work for you and I have read what you did. ( which seems about right to me).  Can only suggest you try again sorry.

• 15. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                      Have you actually tried this Harm?

With existing projects, yes. With opening new projects it assumes the last settings.

• 16. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

If I only change the columns, opening a new project reverts to the default column settings.

If I change the columns and save those changes, opening a new project does show those changes.

• 17. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                          shooternz Level 6

I have kind of got a bit lost in this thread and I am not sure what is working for who!

In my own case I can open a New project and the Bin columns are how I wish them to be.

If they werent. I can easily open my saved settings ( two clicks) and get them back instantly.

This is so unlike the frustrating situation that I experienced in CS3 where I had to build my column settings ( many clicks) each and every time I started a Project.

To the OP.  Save your metadata settings and see if they re open as and when when you need them even if they do not open automatically (by default).

• 18. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                            SpareWheel Level 2

Like a previous poster I got a bit lost in this thread, thinking this related to a similar issue I apear to have. But iff we are talking about Metadata in general:

I start a project, capture or import my footage into the projects-assets panel, then start to log and describe my scenes in the metadata. Everything shows okay in the projects panel - I can see all my descriptors and search works just fine. Jobs a good un.

Then I start a new project import the same footage (as I'm creating a new edit and build) and all my scene descriptors are missing. In other words, I have to start logging all my footage again

To me, it looks like PrPro CS4 does not associate my meta notes with my footage, but with the project. Have I got this right/wrong?

Clarification plz?

• 20. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

No, you are referring to a different issue than the original poster. This is best suited for an entirely new thread, but to offer a bit of insight quickly:

You are confusing clip metadata and file metadata. Clip metadata is metadata that is assigned to clip references within a single Premiere Pro project. That metadata does not travel with the media files that the clips represent. File metadata is, on the other hand, metadata that is embedded into or otherwise externally associated with those media files, and as such will travel into a new/different Premiere Pro project when imported. Check this help file entry for a summary of the differences between the metadata types.

Note that there is a preference in the "Media" settings that allow you to link clip and file metadata, so that as you enter metadata into one field, the field in the other metadata is populated. However, this only works for some fields, and only with some file types, like AVI and MOV. For example, P2 MXF metadata is NOT editable within Premiere Pro. This type of metadata has to be edited in an external application (ie. Panasonic P2 Viewer) and then will make the trip into Premiere Pro successfully.

As a quick solution for you, if you've only logged the clip metadata, and not linked it to the files, or you're using file types that don't allow for editable metadata within Premiere, you can just import your original project into your new one, and the clip metadata will make the transfer.

• 21. Re: how to have metadata show same settings every time opened
                                                SpareWheel Level 2

Thank you Colin. Then my aplogies for crashing this thread. I wasn't sure... However, thanks for the clarification.