9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 5:16 PM by Jim_Simon

Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export

AgetisByron

I encountered this problem many years ago, but since it accours in every version of Premire Pro it's time to find a solution.

Mainly what bothers me is that every video I export out of Premire CS4 isn't as clean as if I would export it out of After Effects.

I had two situations:

1. I made one animation in After Effects, exported the video in the loosles format to see how it looks and the video looked great and very clean.

Than I imported the after effects composition via dynamic link into Premiere CS4 and put some music underneath. Than I exported the video out of Premiere CS4 with the Media Encoder into some HQ versions like Pal DV, .mov, .h264, Targa sequences...and the video just wasn't as clean as the one exported directly from After Effects.

What is wrong? Is there a Premire encoder bug? I had this problem also with earlier version of Premiere.

2. I shot a film in HDV for a company. I edited the material in Premiere CS4 and since I exported it for 4:3 I scaled the video down. So there were more than enought pixels to make the image clean. But after exporting it out of Premiere CS4 the PAL DV image quality just wasn't clean.

I imported than the entire Premiere sequence into After Effects and exported the video from there and I got a great and clean looking PAL DV video.

Again. Is there a bug in Premiere encoder?

I like Premiere but since I can not get a nice image quality out of it I'm planing to go over to FinalCut Pro.

Does any one have a solution for that problem?

Thank you very much

Agetis

• 1. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
          Harm Millaard Level 7

When you scale down from HDV to SD you will always lose quality. Try Dan Isaac's method. And search for the tutorial from Jeff Bellune.

• 2. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
            AgetisByron Level 1

Thanks Harm for the suggestions,

but the problem is not in scaling.

The problem is in Premiere Exporting.

If I scale and export the same video in After Effects than I get a cris and clean image quality video.

But not so with Premiere. You can try it for your self.

Here are my samples:

Sample 1 - a frame from a DVD compressed with Premiere Pro CS4

Sample 2 - a frame from a DVD compressed with After Effects CS4

You can see the difference in the eyes. The after effects export is much more clean and crisp. Be aware that this is a DVD frame, so the video is already compressed. You would get a much more noticebale difference with a uncompressed video.

Is there anybody to confirm this problem?

• 3. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
              Jim_Simon Level 8

In the first scenario, the issue is likely operator error.  A progressive Uncompressed output will naturally look better than an interlaced PAL output, or any of the other options you mentioned.  You're basically not judging apples against apples here.

I don't work with HDV, so I'll leave others to comment on that one.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The difference between your two pictures is clear.

Can you detail the steps you took when exporting from AE into Encore, when exporting from PR to Encore and the transcoding settings used in all applications? What settings did you use with exporting with which codecs and encoding settings?

• 5. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
                  AgetisByron Level 1

Thanks Jim and Harm!

Jim, I exported the animation in the 1. scenario as a progressive video. There was no interlacing and I still got bad results with Premiere.

Harm, I gathered for you fresh uncompressed image exports from Premiere and After Effects.

Sample 1 - Uncompressed Tiff from Premiere CS4

Sample 2 - Uncompressed Tiff from After Effects CS4

I don't think Encore has anything to do with this problem. Because the DVD (.m2v files) wasn't transcoded with Encore but with Premire and AE.

Anyway here are the DVD settings:

1. Premiere settings for the DVD:

MPEG2-DVD

PAL High Quality

Video Settings:

Quality: 5

Tv Standard: PAL

Frame W: 720

Frame H: 576

FPS: 25

Fields: Lower

Pixel: 4:3 (1.09)

CBR: 8 MB

2. After Effects settings for the DVD:

Are exactly the same as Premieres. Fields are also Lower.

The video in AE was exported via Render Queue.

I still don't think that this is a issue of codecs. From my point of view it's still more likely that Premiere has an export bug.

Please try it out and let me know.

Thanks

Agetis

• 6. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I will try to replicate your problem, which is clearly visible, but maybe there is an easy way out:

In PR there is a fold out menu setting in the AME settings that allows you to use Maximum Render Quality.

13-09-2009 17-32-14.jpg

Check that box and try again. I suspect that AE uses that as a default, in PR you have to check it.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim, I exported the animation in the 1. scenario as a progressive video.

From AE yes, but if you're using PAL presets and exports in Premiere, you have interlacing by default.

• 8. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
                        AgetisByron Level 1

Jim Thanks!

I tried not using a Preset and manualy selected a progressive (no fields) sequence and you were right, this way the image quality from PR is better and it looks like it's the same as in AE. I was a little shocked

And Harm, even though I don't have the Maximum Render Quality option (I don't know why) I tried out different options envolving form Jims suggestion and I think you guys just helped me to find the solution:

My discoveries.

The HDV is a Upper field video with 1.333 pixel aspect ratio.

If you want to get the best video quality in PAL resolution with scaled HDV footage out of PR you need to first use a Progressive Sequence and export it as Progressive video. If you use a sequence with lower or upper fields you get worse image quality even though you export it as Progressive. This is some interesting stuff.

This option is true only for a PAL resolution export. If you export the HDV footage directly to HDV you naturally get the best quality with Upper fields, since this is the input field.

Jim and Harm Thanks again.

You just stopped me from switching to FinalCut to soon

Agetis

• 9. Re: Premiere Bad Export vs. After Effects Clean Export
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Saved another one from moving to 'the dark side'.