2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 2:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio settings with Prism video converter?

condiments

Having received some excellent advice around using Prism to convert my Vob files I now find that I am not getting the Audio transferred. I am using the DV encoder pal settings as the video compressor and the dv audio as the sound compressor. Any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audio settings with Prism video converter?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Where did you hear about converting VOBs to DV AVI, using Prism? Was it from Steve Grisetti's FAQ or elsewhere?

Although his FAQ mentions some details of the conversion, he does not mention the audio setting. So, I decided to download Prism and experiement with its audio sets,  DV Audio vs Uncompressed setting. Never again. The conversion was not all that quick for the 20 minute DVD from which I was trying to rip the VOBs. The killer was that Prism dealt a knockout punch to my Premiere Elements 4 and 7. After the Prism download and VOB to DV AVI conversion, opening Premiere Elements 4 or 7, clicking on Get Media/Files & Folders, followed by clicking on the DV AVI or any other video file, resulted in the program getting wiped away, leaving me with my computer Desktop.

I use MPEG Streamclip for ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO. It does an excellent job and really is quick.

http://www.squared5.com

It does the job, hard or easy ones.

If you need detailed step by step, please let me know.

If you can work with Prism and your Premiere Elements is not being blown away, you could experiment with the audio set DV Audio vs the uncompressed one. You did not say what setting that you were using.

Please let us know the outcome.

ATR

(I got full function back for Premiere Elements 4 and 7 after I uninstalled Prism.)

• 2. Re: Audio settings with Prism video converter?
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            After the Prism download and VOB to DV AVI conversion, opening Premiere Elements 4 or 7, clicking on Get Media/Files & Folders, followed by clicking on the DV AVI or any other video file, resulted in the program getting wiped away, leaving me with my computer Desktop.

Great big OUCH! I have not used Prism, and now do not think that I will. Sorry that you had to "take one for the team there."

If I have to deal with .VOB's that are not 100% DVD-compliant, i.e. will not load into PrE, I just use my capture card and my DVD deck to do just what I would do with a VHS tape. In that card's capture app. settings, I just choose DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio.

I have to do manual control for the capture app. and navigate past all Menus on the DVD deck, but it works fine, with the caveat of the quality loss having already gone to MPEG-2 for that DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt