10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 8:11 AM by the_wine_snob

No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.

Di110n

As the title says. When I import a 720p MOV video from my Kodak camera into Premirere Pro 2.0. Most times there is no sound with this MOV, as you can see on the timeline in the pic. The audio visualy isnt showing.

untitled1.jpg

And when I render it out in any format it has no sound. Some MOV's have sound, but only for the first 10-20% of the video.

Here is my PP settings

untitled2 - Copy.jpg

And going by After affects, this is the properties of the 720p MOV.

untitled1kkk.jpg

This is so annoying. Any ideas what is causing this? Any suggestion & help is needed, thanks. Maybe I need to upgrade to CS4?

• 1. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your file format is not supported in 2.0. You need CS4 4.1 if your material is AVCHD MP4.

• 2. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Since you're using "footage" from a still camera, the usual conventions of video editing fly out the window; most of these types of sources cause import or playback problems in Premiere, regardless of the version. You're able to get the video in, interestingly enough, but one thing that I noticed is that your source footage contains mono audio, and your destination sequence contains what appears to be only stereo tracks. Try adding a mono track to your sequence, and see if the clip will then edit into the sequence. I haven't used 2.0 in a long time, so I don't recall if it will automatically add the proper audio tracks the way CS3/4 do.

• 3. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin, PrPro 2.0 will add necessary Audio Tracks for the source.

For the OP, I would use Audition, or Soundbooth, or the freeware Audacity, to rip the Audio from the AV file. Then, Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and Import that. You may have to do a bit of manual syncing, but you will get your Audio. If it is Mono, I'd either create a Mono Track (Sequence>Add Tracks), or let PrPro create the proper one for you, when you drag to the Timeline. Hint: drag to the Master Audio Track and watch PrPro create a new Mono Track.

If you need some pointers on correcting sync, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Hunt--I couldn't recall. I'm wondering if that automatically added track is outside of the frame of the screenshot... hmmm....

• 5. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Could well be. It will be right above the Master, but below any Stereo (or 5.1) Audio Tracks, that already in the Sequence. I'll go back and study the OP's screen-cap, to see if there is a scroll bar showing on the far right. Could be that the image was cropped to closely to answer that question. Scroll bars have fooled more than one user.

Hunt

[Edit] screen-cap too tight. We do not see the Master, so do not know what is right above it, and do not see the far right of the Timeline, so do not know if there are scroll bars. Only the OP can tell us.

• 6. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                    Di110n Level 1

the_wine_snob.

Not shore exactly what you mean??

I posted a full screen shot here:    http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8190/36070955.jpg

• 7. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's the problem:

no_audio.png

Premiere Pro CS3 or CS4 might be able to read the audio from the file, or it may not--but it's clear that PPro 2.0 will not. Your only/best solution is to use another program to extract the audio from the file into another file that PPro can read. Since After Effects can read the audio, you could use that to render out an audio-only file from the clip; or as Hunt suggested, an audio editing application like Audition or Soundbooth might be able to open the clip and let you do the same. QuickTime Pro would probably open up these files and give you the same facility.

Bottom line: due to the fact that you're using a camera for taking snapshots and not video, and that you're using a version of the software that's several years and revisions old, you'll have to do some manual labor to get the audio from these clips.

• 8. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not have Audition, or Soundbooth, then I'd opt for the freeware program, Audacity. It does a pretty good job ripping Audio. Save as a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit.

I have used QT Pro for a lot of Exporting, but have never tried it for just Audio. It should work, but I just cannot remember if it will do Audio-only. Will check and report.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Yes, QT Pro will Export Audio-only. Just turn off the radio button for Video in the Options dialog box.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added [Edit]

• 9. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Note that with Audacity, you may have to add the FFmpeg import/export libraries in order to get Audacity to read the audio from such files. For instance, I was able to use Audacity + FFmpeg to strip the audio out of a SWF file; worked great.

More information about the FFmpeg libraries for Audacity...

• 10. Re: No Sound in PP2.0 with 720p MOV Quicktime.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Great info. I have Audacity, but use Audition for nearly all Audo work. I recommend Audactiy, because it is good and free. I did not know about these libraries, but will now bookmark your link for others.

Your help is always appreciated. Many more will learn by what you have added to this thread in the future,

Hunt