15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2009 6:46 PM by Jack Banatoni

Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files

Will Crash Level 1

Premiere CS4

FCS 3

Every time I try and import a file from Final Cut using the XML script into Premiere, Premiere tells me that the importer has reported a generic importing error.  To my understanding, the Apple's XML Script was largely set for importing into Premiere.  Does anyone know what a generic importing error is?  Has anyone else had this problem?

• 1. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
          MikeNaulls

I am having this same problem.

PP CS4 importing FC7 (FCS3). What's the deal here? I thought this was a straightforward import.

• 2. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Since FCP7/FCS3 were released after CS4, it's possible that something changed with the way FCP writes its XML files. I used this a couple of times in the last week, coming from FCP6, and it worked fine. With FCP6, there is a pop-up that appears on XML export asking what version/revision you want to use; I used version 4, and that went into CS4 without incident. Check that you're not using something like version 5 (I'm not sure if this exists, but it seems logical), which would likely not be supported.

It's also possible that Apple simply broke the compatibility of the XML export. They have a pretty long record of doing things like this with QuickTime and iTunes. What happens with Apple, stays with Apple™.

• 3. Re: Premiere has no problem importing FCP XML Files
              fuaho Level 1

We just cut a piece in FCP (I think it was Studio 2) on a laptop (macbook?) opened it in the same version on a G5, exported an XML file and copied it to a USB external drive.

I copied that file along with all the relevant media to a new subdirectory on my PC, created a new project and imported the XML sequence. When I opened it, it asked for the location of the first file and then it came in without complaint. I opened the sequence on the timeline (I don't remember now if I had imported all the footage into the bin first, but probably).

After having experienced nightmare scenarios of constant crashes when we tried this before, to my amazement, I could render, play and edit the timeline without incident. Also, unlike before, there were dissolves and titles, as well as FCP slugs but they caused no problems. Just to be safe, I later replaced the slugs with "real" black from a tiff file I've created in Photoshop.

Also, unlike before, the audio tracks were properly linked to the video tracks, even where there were "L" cuts.

PrPro CS4, Intel Quad, 8GB RAM, 1TB Raid 10, GTX260XXX, WIN XP Pro 64-bit.

Footage is 1280x720p, 30fps, MJPEG, 44.1kHz, project preview, desktop, uncompressed.

Might be something in the newer version causing the problem.

HTH,

• 4. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                MikeNaulls Level 1

There is a Version 5 of XML in the new FCP and that's what I thought was the source of the problem but after switching to Ver. 4 I still had and have the problem.

I feel like I have tried every combination of settings for the XML and nothing works so maybe Apple did break it.

• 5. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                  Will Crash Level 1

I have found out that Apple did change the XML files.  Stupid.  Everyone has told me that they are using xml 4 just fine but I can't even get that to work.  I can't even get files from FCP to Motion.  Motion keeps adding -1-1 to the end of the file.  When i finally find it, Motion won't open it.

• 6. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                    Will Crash Level 1

I have tried 5 and 4.  I was told that apple did change the script and they are waiting for Adobe to fix it.  Really, that is like you breaking your car and then waiting for me to come fix it.  Not to smart on Apples part.

• 7. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                      MikeNaulls Level 1

Will it looks like you and I have been punished for being on the cutting edge.

• 8. Re: Premiere has no problem importing FCP XML Files
                        Will Crash Level 1

It is the newer version.  Apple decided to change the script.  I have since removed studio 3 and went back to studio 2.  I couldn't even get files from FCP to Motion.  It kept adding a -1-1 on the end of the file and when I finally located the file Motion would not even open it.

• 9. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                          Will Crash Level 1

Apple did break it.  They are also waiting for Adobe to correct the problem. 

• 10. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                            Will Crash Level 1

Yes.  Very irritating. After this fiasco, I will not be updating to the new Logic.

• 11. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for the information and confirmation; disappointing, but not the least bit surprising. Now we wait for Apple to fix it (yeah, right) or for Adobe to release a patch that allows you to work with the new XML files (I repeat: yeah, right). If either case comes true, I'm sure it wouldn't be too long before something else broke. It's sort of like falling face first down the stairs; at some point, you're right-side up again, to be followed only momentarily by another face plant.

Wasn't there a recent post where someone was talking about how problem free Macs are?

• 12. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                                Will Crash Level 1

Yeah, I actually am kind of disappointed over the new software anyway.  All the rumors about the combining of Motion and Shake and then nothing happened.  They just added the new font graphic tools, shadows and reflections.  I have shake and it still does 10 times more than Motion which does 10 times less than AE.  You would have to believe that Apple knows everyone who uses FCS has to have AE.  To make this change, and then to not make Motion(which I can't even get FCP files into on FCS 3) a stronger compositor is just beyond me.  Thank God I kept FCS 2 because that is what I am using once again.

• 13. Re: Premiere and FCP XML Files
                                  fuaho Level 1

Not that it's ever any consolation, but it is 11 months since I bought a brand spankin' new hi-powered computer and installed CS4, and it is only now that all the bits and pieces have settled down enough to actually do any work without some problem or another.

I have shut off automatic updates for all my software and can guarantee that there is nothing that will entice me to upgrade/update/modify what's working. After almost a year of putting up with Adobe and Apple's crashing matches, I have a system that works and I intend to keep it that way.

No Win 7, No CS5, No FCP3!

I'll never understand how AE and PS can work so flawlessly while all the NLE's are a disaster.

Have fun all you early adopters! From here on out, I'm with Jim Simon!

UPDATE:

AFTER EXTENSIVE TESTING, IT IS APPARENT THAT THE FCP STUDIO 2, IMPORTED XML TIMELINE STILL CAUSES PROBLEMS.

FOR EXAMPLE, MARK AN IN AND OUT POINT AND ATTEMPT AN EXTRACT. BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR PROJECT FIRST BECAUSE IT WILL LOCK UP AND NEED TO BE REOPENED.

OKAY, SO LET'S JUST DELETE IT. NOW GRAB THE REST OF THE TIMELINE AND TRY TO CLOSE THE GAP. ANOTHER CRASH!

YOU WOULD THINK THAT ADOBE WOULD WANT TO HAVE FCP PROJECTS IMPORTED INTO PRPRO, BUT THEY STILL DON'T HAVE IT TOGETHER.

UNLIKE BEFORE, I CAN NOW PLAY THE TIMELINES AND DO SOME LIMITED EDITING LIKE DRAGGING EACH CLIP ONE AT A TIME IN THE REST OF THE TIMELINE TO CLOSE THE GAP AFTER A DELETE AND CAN EXTEND OR SHRINK A CLIP BUT CANNOT ACTUALLY EDIT IN ANY WAY ANYONE WOULD WANT TO BOTHER WITH.

THIS IS A YEAR AFTER CS4 WAS RELEASED! I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO IMAGINE HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO INTEGRATE XML'S FROM THE NEW VERSION OF FCP.

• 14. Re: Premiere and FCP XML Files
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Have fun all you early adopters! From here on out, I'm with Jim Simon!

For the record, I'm actually running the Release Candidate of Windows 7.

But I do understand the sentiment.  I have a plug-in and a program I'm very hesitant to install.  I suspect one or the other to cause some major issues that will require a rebuild to actually resolve.  I just don't have the courage to install and find out which one it is, now that things are working well.

• 15. Re: Premiere Not Accepting FCP XML Files
                                      Jack Banatoni Level 1

My experience with FCP import hasn't been that pleasant.  It's been a while since I tried it and even longer since I've used FCP.  I remember I couldn't get the file to import at all with the older version of FCP that I had originally used (can't recall the version).  So, I had a friend with FCS 2 export it for me and it finally imported to Premiere (using Vista Ultimate 64).

That's when the real fun began!  Crashes, crashes, and more crashes.  I would grab a clip to move it - crash!  I would change the length of a transition - crash!  My eventual work around was to delete my transitions on the problem clips, then copy everything into a new timeline.  This reduced the problems to some extent.

Also, my audio was an absolute mess.  I don't know if this is from upgrading my file from an old FCP to a newer FCP and then bringing it to Premiere or if it was just moving from FCP to Premiere in general.  It brought in dual mono tracks (like FCP uses), but both tracks were the left channel and there wasn't any way I could find to bring back the right channel.  This was pretty irritating if I had, for instance, used two mics on two different people for an interview.  My work around for this was to mark my in/out points on my original clip and bring it down to the timeline again (this time on a stereo track), but that kind of defeated the purpose of bringing it into Premiere in the first place.  On that note, my timecode had somehow shifted on my master clips after bringing it into Premiere, so even that was a complicated work around.

These are just some of the problems I had with FCP import, which was a huge reason for me buying CS4 in the first place.  I've been nervous about trying the new Avid import options because of this.  It's a shame, too, because Premiere is by far my favorite NLE.  It would be nice to take on freelance projects started in another program.

-JB