21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 12:04 PM by Jim_Simon

Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4

Soma Holiday

I am very new at this and I have been looking at the help guide for hours to no avail.  I am trying to batch capture from a Mini DV camcorder, I logged all of the clips and batch captured them, but once it is finished all of the files say Media Offline in both preview screens and the status when I scroll over is Capture Failed, even though it says it is finished.  I don't know what else to do.  Am I doing something wrong? 

• 1. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use Scenalyzer for capture, it is much better than PR.

• 2. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
            Soma Holiday Level 1

Yeah...that doesn't help since I don't have that program, I have Premiere Pro, and I am trying to get Premiere Pro to work...

I just wanted to add that when I look at the capture logs it says.  Captured Failed:  No Frames Captured.  I don't understand because it says that capturing is finished afterward in the program.  I also noticed that the logged clips have an x on them after I capture.  I don't know what's going on.  I've followed all the tutorials and nothing is helping.  Can anyone walk me through this?  I used Final Cut the other day on a school computer to do the exact same thing and had NO PROBLEM.

• 3. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Yeah...that doesn't help since I don't have that program, I have Premiere Pro, and I am trying to get Premiere Pro to work...

Unless you download the trial version or buy it. It is around $ 35 and it around the best investment you can make.

As to your problems with PR, it sounds like OE since details are lacking.

• 4. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                Jim_Simon Level 8

My recommendation would be to skip the logging and batch and just capture the whole tape using Scene Detect.  You can use Bridge thereafter to wade through, mark good clips and delete bad ones.

Much less hassle in my view, and less wear and tear on the tape heads.

• 5. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                  Soma Holiday Level 1

I just tried doing that and nothing happens once its finished, no scene appears.  I tried just hitting record and play and when I hit stop(like the tutorial said)  nothing pops up to tell me to name the clip and no clip appears.

I tried just using the standard tools on the computer to capture and it says that nothing is captured to make sure the tapes aren't blank.  They aren't blank.

I noticed while I am capturing in Premiere that the screen says the capture duration is going up but that no frames are being dropped.  Is this supposed to show the frames?  Because it isn't.

• 6. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Is your capture format set correctly?

capture.png

• 7. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                      Soma Holiday Level 1

Yes, it's set on DV.  I added a pick of what's happening...

• 8. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Total shot in the dark:

help.png

• 9. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                          Soma Holiday Level 1

I tried changing it to 48 just to see and got the same results...

I dunno what's going on.  Could there be a problem with my camera?  I have a Sony Handycam, dunno if that helps. :/

• 10. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't know either, unfortunately--we're kind of pulling things out of the air randomly without much to go on. I realize you may not be well-versed in this kind of thing, but some more detail is in order...

• How/where did you log your footage?
                            • What are your capture settings (post a screenshot, if you like)?
                            • Are you able to connect to the camera from the Capture panel?
                            • Can you control it?
                            • Do you see a preview as you shuttle?
                            • Did you use the same camera to shoot this footage?
                            • Will the tape playback in the camera itself?
                            • Are you positive the footage on the tape isn't HDV?

Anything at all would help...

• 11. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                              Soma Holiday Level 1

Ok, sorry for being so unhelpful I just don't know where to start...

What do you mean log?  Just shooting it?

Posted screenshot

Yes

• Can you control it?

Yes.

I can see it sometimes, then sometimes it will not show.  It always looks like it does in the shot with the lines through it.  If it disappears I have to turn the camera off and back on to see it

• Did you use the same camera to shoot this footage?

Yes

• Will the tape playback in the camera itself?

Yes

• Are you positive the footage on the tape isn't HDV?

I am using regular DV tapes on a regular DV camera, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t...

• 12. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                since I don't have that program

That should not stop you from getting it and then using it. It is what PrPro's SD Capture should be. Now, I'd hope that Adobe acquired the code for it, and incorporated it into PrPro, but bad things have happened with similar.

Some years ago, there was a great font management program, Font Minder. Adobe bought them, and then killed the development of that program to keep focused on ATM. That is now dead too, and Font Minder is long gone.

Still, SceneAlyzer Live is a great program and worth 3x the price.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                  Soma Holiday Level 1

Here's another image of the message in the log data and the frame drop...

I'll look into that program since it seems I'm going to need it anyways...thanx for pointing it out...

• 14. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

What do you mean log?  Just shooting it?

You said in your original post that you "logged and batch captured". Did you log on paper, or did you playback the tape with the PPro capture tool and create offline clips?

There are several ways to capture into Premiere:

• Capture a whole tape with the "Tape" button;
                                    • Mark an in and out point as you play the tape back and then hit the "In/Out" button to capture between those points;
                                    • Mark an in and out point as you play the tape back and then hit the "Log Clip" button to create an offline clip in your bin;
                                    • Play back the tape and then hit the red "Record" button

Which of these have you done? Can you capture anything by performing the fourth option?

Posted screenshot

Yes

• Can you control it?

Yes.

I can see it sometimes, then sometimes it will not show.  It always looks like it does in the shot with the lines through it.  If it disappears I have to turn the camera off and back on to see it

Capture settings look OK (I'll dismiss the fact that you're trying to capture to your computer's system (C:) drive for now; that's generally not a good idea, but I don't think is the problem at the moment. Just note that you need to get another hard drive). The scrambled preview means your tape deck/camera has got clogged heads, your tape is falling apart, our your 1394 cable and/or card/port is kaput. If any of those are the case, you're likely going to have problems capturing.

• 15. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                      Soma Holiday Level 1

I originally marked in and out on about 30 clips to make them offline, then tried a batch capture on them.  It seemed to be working and said it was finished but none of the clips worked, they just said media offline in the viewer and the status was 'capture failed.'  So far I cannot capture ANYTHING with the record button because when I record and stop it, it seems to be recording but no clip is ever made and I am never prompted to name a clip.

Now the problem is that I just got this tape like a week ago and have only used it once, and I literally bought my 1394 cable this morning, plus my camera is less than 2 weeks old, so why would it have clogged anything?

like I said, I'm VERY new at this. :/

• 16. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

In one of the pictures, it looks like you have dirty tape heads.  I wonder if that is interfering with capture.  Try cleaning the camera heads, perhaps.

• 17. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                          Soma Holiday Level 1

This may be the case, but I don't know why it has happened.  I just decided to play back the tape on my camera and it has the bars in it, so the tape heads are clearly dirty, but I have literally had this camera 2 weeks and I've only recorded about an hour of footage on it with brand new tapes...

I will have to try this.  What do I need to do to clean it?  Simply buy a cleaning cassette or are there better ways of doing it?

• 18. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

A cleaning tape usually does the trick.

• 19. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                              Soma Holiday Level 1

Okay, well I went to my class today and surprise!  3 of the students are all having the same problem and they all have brand new Sony Handycam Mini DV recorders, so I guessmy answer it simply that the camera sucks.  I will have to take it back and exchange it, I'm sorry if I wasted anyones time but I really appreciate everyone trying to help me.

Now, does anyone have any recomendations on mini dv cameras that actually work?  I bought all this equipment for a DV so I'd hate to waste it by getting a hard-drive camera.  Thanx.

• 20. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Is this the camera you've got?

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/images/sonyvidhc52.jpg

Sony DCR-HC52

As far as I'm aware, that's the only DV camcorder Sony makes right now. I can't imagine that it would be any different (relatively speaking) from any other consumer-grade miniDV camcorder out there. I picked up a $25 Canon from eBay that didn't shoot video, but it would playback just fine. I use it as my deck for ingest and output. Beyond silly consumer "enhancements" there is very little difference between these readily available models.

• 21. Re: Please help, trying to Batch Capture in CS4
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

does anyone have any recomendations on mini dv cameras that actually work?

Personally, this is the only one I can recommend in today's environment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/462231-REG/Panasonic_AGDVX100ABK1_AG_DVX100B_3_CCD_2 4p_Mini.html