16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 6:28 PM by Mediadude8

Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player

MM in Carlsbad Level 1

I would like to maintain HD quality through the Export process to create a file that will be played on a Western Digital TV HD Media Player.  I have tried a multiple of export settings without success.  My goal is to play back using the WD TV player with the file stored on a USB drive...file size is not an issue.

I capture the HDV footage from a Canon HV30 camcorder into PremProCS3

I use the Project Settings preset = HDV, HDV 1080i30 (60i)

I have stabbed around with Export, Movie... as well as with the Adobe Media Encoder and can't find the magic

When I capture/edit in iMovie09 on a MacBookPro, I can easily export to a .m4v which plays back in great HD quality on my 46" TV via the WD TV player.  But I can't seem to find the right preset or custom setting within Premiere Pro to get the job done.  I greatly prefer the PP editing environment and want to stick with it.

The attached jpg file is a scan from the WD TV User Manual...supported video formats.

Thanks, in advance.

- Mike -

HP Desktop E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb, dual internal SATA drives, GeForce 8500GT, 30" LCD monitor, Vista Home Premium, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

• 1. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
          MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Update for fellow video travelers -

I am having good luck with the following settings:

Adobe Media Encoder

MPEG2

1440x1080i 29.97 High Quality

default quality setting of 4 works just fine

Anyone else using a different/better technique?

It's a pleasure to simply render a movie, save it to a USB storage device (e.g. thumb drive) and play it back immediately in HD on my TV...I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about the WD TV Media Player.

- Mike -

PS  I am interested in passing uncompressed (or at least very high quality) video files between editing systems (e.g. from Premiere to iMovie'09 and vice versa).

Anyone doing that?  Suggested settings?

• 2. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
            Mediadude8 Level 1

Hi Mike, I also use CS3 and the Western digital Media Player and was told that H.264 was the best format for high quality.  I have yet to make it work right without stuttering and out of sync audio. I also tried Sorenson Squeeze and no luck.   Have you tried this at all?  I use Matrox card which makes working with HDV easier.  I use a Sony Z5U and shoot in 60I.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
              MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Hello Mediadude8,

I tried a variety of H.264 settings and did not have any luck.  A buddy is a big fan of WMVHD and recommended that...again, no luck for my purposes.  It's possible that I had some subsetting choice set incorrectly within the presets.  It seems that there would be some version of H.264 that would work...it seems to be all the rave right now.

In addition to exporting for purposes of viewing on the WD media player, I'm eager to investigate other export options that would allow me to move the edited movie to another editing platform for further work (e.g. move it to iMovie '09...I prefer its DVD menu choices).

- Mike -

PS  In addition to Premiere CS3, I am now using the shareware program HDVSplit to capture the footage from my Canon HV30.  I then import those clips into a Premiere project.  Using the capture system within Premiere gave me fits...lots of dropped frames and very bad audio Out-of-Synch issues...and no ability to see the clips as generated within the camera...(i.e. no scene splitting).

• 4. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                Mediadude8 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Mike...seems like we're in the same unfortunate place.
                Do you go to Creative Cow site?  If you go to the HDV forum and go back to March, you'll see a thread there I started and this guy Ernie swears by the WDMP and never had sync or stuttering issues.  This link should get you
                there: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/162/869712  read the entire thread to get all the tips.  I use Matrox which is a capture board as well, but I shoot to CF card, so don't deal with capturing, just copy over the files.  Is this a business or hobby?  If it’s a business and you have the money, I'd look into Matrox RTX2 or LE version, it edits HDV in real time and you can view it on a DVI monitor...has its quirks, but is overall been a plus.

At this point I’m not sure what to do about western digital unit, I was about to purchase one for a client that I shot on HDV...but I'm wasting hours on doing tests and nothing seems to work.  Maybe I'll western digital today and I find out anything I'll call you.  I do use Sorenson Squeeze which has many more options than PPRO.  When I use PPRO it either crashes or comes out green, so I export an AVI and import into S Squeeze.  The image looks incredible, but doesn't play back right.  Jeff

• 5. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                  MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update and the link to the thread on Creative Cow...I'll check it out.

For the time being, I'll stick with the HDVSplit Capture utility + Premiere for the HDV footage on mini-DV tapes from my Canon HV30.  Like you, I find it very frustrating to be spending time on tools instead on editing.

Did you try the MPEG2 settings I outlined in my earlier post?  It works like a charm on my WD TV.

At this point, my work is for hobby purposes.

- Mike -

• 6. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                    MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Jeff,

One more thing...as an fyi only.

I ran the HV30 into iMovie '09...the capture ran very smoothly...clips were split properly...no audio synch issues.  I am also finding that exporting from iMovie to a file that plays well on the WD TV is very easy, too.

If I hadn't found the HDVSplit remedy...and the MPEG2 settings...I was sadly ready to abandon Premiere for iMovie '09.

- Mike -

• 7. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                      Mediadude8 Level 1

Hi Mike, I haven't tried MPEG2, doesn't it make two separate files for audio and video? or do you have to multiplex it so they are combined?  What about the bit rate?  For the H.264, I tried everything from 5000kbs to 12,000kbs and get the same result.  I ran a test a few months ago on just one clip and it worked perfectly and I don't know what I did to make it work.  I got busy today, but tomorrow I'm definitely calling WD.  What looked really great was the M2T files directly from the camera, looked like a high end HD camera.  Do you have any third party encoding programs? I wonder if you can try Sorenson Squeeze as a trial just to see if it works.  Like I said, I never had luck with CS3 Media Encoder.  I just get green.  Jeff

• 8. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                        MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Jeff,

Before you do anything else, try my recommended settings in the Adobe

Encoder...please.

- Mike -

• 9. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                          Mediadude8 Level 1

But I need a bit rate that worked for you.  Quality level is different than bitrate.  And do you do one pass or two pass and CBR or VBR? thanks

• 10. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                            MM in Carlsbad Level 1

I accepted the default settings that go with the preset I outlined...I did

not fool with bit rates.  In fact, I accepted the default quality setting of

4....same for the # passes.  I'm using Premiere Pro CS3 3.2.0.

• 11. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                              Mediadude8 Level 1

remember which preset?  did you encode at 720*480 or 1440*1080 or whatever your camera outputs?  I'm trying a quick test in sorenson with a really high bit rate and 2 pass VBR.  It will be done in 9 minutes, then I'll try it on the WD unit and let you know.

• 12. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                                Mediadude8 Level 1

Hi Mike, I tried MPEG 2, you were right, it looked pretty good and no stuttering or sync issue, the only issue is during transitions, I get compression artifacts.  I'm going to try Constant bit Rate even higher, around 10kbs.  If I can fix the compression, this will be the way I go until H.264 is working...so thank you for that.

• 13. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                                  davidcorleone

Hey, I'm glad I found you guys.  This problem has been messing up my workflow for over a year.  Maybe you can help:

I'm shooting HDV with Sony HD1000, capturing with HDV split, editing in Premiere.  (So far, so good)  Problem is, exporting from premiere (HDV 60i project) produces "squashed" and letter-boxed video, and my graphics and titles are "mis-aligned" with the video.  It's like premiere scales down my video files, letter-boxes them, but leaves graphics untouched, which of course throws everything off.  My only work around is to edit in an NTSC project, and scale down every single video clip myself, which yields lots of rendering.  I thought I solved the problem, by importing the entire premiere project into after effects.  Export worked great, no loss of quality, but after effects doesn't recognize premiere time-remapping, titles or wipe transitions (and has issues with .m2t audio)!

I've tried every form of exporting from an hdv project  (adobe media encoder, straight to encore).  ALWAYS squashes and letter-boxes the video files, while leaving the graphics/titles as is (now appearing larger than they did in the program monitor and less crisp.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I love premiere for standard dv, I just can't get around this obstacle with HDV...

• 14. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                                    Mediadude8 Level 1

Hi David, you didn't say how you plan to show the video.  I have never been able to get an acceptable H.264 from Adobe Media Encoder using CS3.  I have tried exporting an uncomprssed AVI from premiere into Sorenson Squeeze and got very nice H.264's, but I can't play them in the Western Digital Media Player, which was my original issue.  Mike's MPEG2 solution seems to work, if I can tweak the settings a little to get less compression artifacts.  It's very odd that your graphics and video and rendering differently.  What size do you export to?   This is why I use Matrox card with Premiere Pro.

• 15. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                                      MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Hello David - welcome to the fray.

Hello Jeff - I'm delighted to hear that the MPEG 2 settings are working for

you.  Kindly post your final results so we can all benefit...thanks.

Gents - I can't help much on the new issues that David has raised re:

scaling.  In fact, I might suggest to David that he start a fresh thread on

that issue...more folks are likely to weigh in.

Regards,

- Mike -

• 16. Re: Advice on exporting PPCS3 HDV Project to file for WD TV player
                                        Mediadude8 Level 1

Mike, I just played some test footage encoded at 20KBS, it looks incredible.  Keep in mind I'm using an encoding program so there are a lot more options than PPRO's encoder.  I will post my settings tomorrow, but not sure they will match up with AME.  I just read that you can encode up to 60 or 80KBS, I'll settle for 30 and see if it plays back OK on the western digital.  I'll let you  know.  So glad I "ran" into you...I was in despair yesterday.