16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 10:18 PM by ajk459

Help! A.S.A.P.!

ajk459

Hi all,

I have an urgent request here.  I'm not new to Premiere Pro, but just upgraded to CS4 from PP2 and to an iMac (Intel) from a PC.  I've been hired to film a local little league football team and package up DVD's of the games each week.  Well, I'm having serious problems with, well, everything.  When I film (Canon XL2) at 60i and capture to PP, it shows a frame rate of 29.97.  Now, admittedly I'm not formally educated but is this right? Next question: When I render the footage the results are coming out poor.  I'm rendering for DVD.  The scenes look like VHS quality, very low.  Seems to be some artifacting of the footage on the DVD.  I'd love for this project to look like DVD video quality, not VHS quality.  Any ideas? Thanks...Al

• 1. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
          Colin Brougham Level 6

When I film (Canon XL2) at 60i and capture to PP, it shows a frame rate of 29.97.  Now, admittedly I'm not formally educated but is this right?

Yes. And use the following sequence preset:

sequence_settings.png

When I render the footage the results are coming out poor.  I'm rendering for DVD.  The scenes look like VHS quality, very low.  Seems to be some artifacting of the footage on the DVD.  I'd love for this project to look like DVD video quality, not VHS quality.  Any ideas?

Select your sequence in the bin, go to File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore and then build your DVD. Encore will encode the MPEG-2 video for you, at approximately the best bitrate that will allow the full duration of the video to fit onto a DVD. One can get far more technical and exacting than that, but general speaking, that'll get you in the ballpark.

• 2. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm with Colin on this.

Now, CS4 and Adobe Dynamic Link (DL) to Encore has not been perfect for everyone. Should that not work perfectly, and it should, you can revert to the old-fashioned way: Export as DV-AVI Type II. I use elemental streams (one video-only and one audio-only file for each Sequence). Impor these into En, with the Video as a Timeline and the Audio as an Asset. From the Project Panel, drag the Audio to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place. Add your Menus, and establish your navigation, then let En choose the bit-rate for Transcoding to DVD. Note: some of this will apply to using DL - the rest is to help you, should things not work as intended.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
              ajk459 Level 1

I am producing the DVD as a 16x9 format.  Will the Standard preset allow for that? Al

• 4. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Choose the NTSC Wide Screen Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                  ajk459 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I really do appreciate you all.  I'm just curious as to why, if I'm filming at 60i does Premiere capture at 29.97? Al

• 6. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

For all practical purposes, they're the same thing; it's more of a semantic issue than anything. DV video (and most other NTSC video formats) is composed of 59.94 (rounded up to 60) interlaced fields per second--a field is one-half of what is commonly (but erroneously) called a frame in NTSC video. Since most people prefer to talk about "frame rate" instead of "field rate" (if there is such a thing, I guess), that 59.94 figure is divided in half and said as "29.97 frames per second". You'll often see this number on the editing side of the equation, because you edit in a sequence with a timebase of 29.97 "frames" per second, whereas most of the camcorders I've used have denoted the acquisition rate as 60i.

Long story short... they're the same.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

As always, well-stated. Had I not been on another thread, I could not have said it better.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                        ajk459 Level 1

Colin,

Thank you very much for the clarification.  I've been doing odd video jobs here and there, but never really dedicated the time to formally learn everything.  Now, I see that I'm at a point where if I want to continue, I need to get some training. 

I tried your suggestion on going directly through the Adobe Dynamic Link, and it seemed to clean the clip up a lot.  I'm previewing my stuff on a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond HD TV, with a Toshiba HD DVD player, so that may have some bearing on the lower quality than I expect?

Again, I appreciate everyone's willingness to school an old fool who is a want-to-be film maker.  Thanks!  Al

• 9. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                          ajk459 Level 1

Thank you too, Hunt.  You guys rock.  I wish more people, in more fields were as willing to lend a hand to those of us with less knowledge.  Al

• 10. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Colin,

Thank you very much for the clarification.  I've been doing odd video jobs here and there, but never really dedicated the time to formally learn everything.  Now, I see that I'm at a point where if I want to continue, I need to get some training. 

You're welcome. There are a lot of resources out "there"--some good and some not so good--but there's no schoolmaster like experience. I come from a family of elementary school educators, so it's been ingrained in me forever to try and administer the gentle push that gets someone moving in the right direction. Fortunately, there seem to be a number of like-minded folks here and elsewhere around the Web.

I tried your suggestion on going directly through the Adobe Dynamic Link, and it seemed to clean the clip up a lot.  I'm previewing my stuff on a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond HD TV, with a Toshiba HD DVD player, so that may have some bearing on the lower quality than I expect?

Unfortunately, you might be setting yourself up for a bit of a disappointment when trying to preview SD (standard definition) on an HD (high definition) monitor. SD is several times lower on the resolution scale than HD, so you're seeing some enlarging happening. Think of it as if you were doing an enlargement from a 3x5 photo to an 8x10; you can certainly do it, and fill the 8x10 with the image, but you can't maintain the relative sharpness of the 3x5. In other words, you can't manufacture detail that just isn't there. The same goes for displaying SD video on an HD monitor. Now, some of the BluRay/HD DVD/DVD players do upscaling of standard definition DVDs, and they may do a decent job of it--but SD video will never look as good on an HD monitor as it does on an SD monitor. Simple math, really

If you can, turn off the scaling on the player/TV when you want to preview your DVDs; at least you'll see a pixel-for-pixel representation of your video, then, instead of a stretched/blown-up/distorted/schmeggy version

• 11. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                              ajk459 Level 1

Excellent suggestion Colin.  I never even thought of that little ditty until I previewed the clip this last time.  Then, it was like a "duh" moment for me So, I guess I have two choices: Buy all HD equipment (HD video camera, etc) OR...and this is the better choice...buy a SD monitor set up! Thanks...Al

• 12. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, we do the best that we can. Colin does the "heavy-lifting," and then I show up at the end of the thread...

Actually, I feel that this is a great forum. There are so very many contributors, and from different areas of video production, plus on different platforms. Hardly a problem goes without an answer.

Hope that things go well for you on this Project, and all the rest.

Should you have any Encore-specific questions, do not hesitate to post those on that forum. If you do, I'll see you there!

Great luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  buy a SD monitor set up!

Depending on your output and audience, this might not be a bad idea. Prices are starting to fall, as much of the world goes HD. They are not "cheap" yet, but are starting to fall.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

You're welcome! As you can see, this crazy biz can get pricey in a big hurry

Better get some paying gigs!

• 15. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I wish more people, in more fields were as willing to lend a hand to those of us with less knowledge.

There are plenty of such people out there.  They're commonly called 'teachers'.  I personally highly recommend engaging the services of one before one starts using Premiere Pro.  (I'm a rather big proponent of the axiom "First learn, then do.")

• 16. Re: Help! A.S.A.P.!
                                        ajk459 Level 1

Oh sure Jim, NOW you tell me!