7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 4:23 AM by Xoomtell

CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video

I.Rivera

Hello all, I just upgraded to CS4 and am new to these forums.  (I have not used Premiere since the mid 90s)  I upgraded to CS4 with the intent of editing AVCHD video files on a Quad core Intel machine running 64 bit Windows 7 with 8GB of Ram.  I am using a Panasonic GH-1 camera and shooting 1080 24p AVCHD in a 60i wrapper.  I am unable to Export from Premiere without receiving stuttering video.  Details below - any help appreciated.

To start I attempted to import a .MTS file from the GH-1 directly but Premiere mistakenly identified the file as 29.97 FPS.  When I attempted to export the file as H.264 there was a pronounced stutter to the video.  (Same with 29.97 FPS or 23.976 FPS exports)

I assumed this was because Premiere did not correctly interpret the original footage so I then tried CineForm NeoScene to extract a 23.976 FPS .AVI video from the 60i wrapper.  When I imported this .AVI Premiere correctly interpreted the1080 24P format as 23.976 FPS.  However. again when I tried to export the video to AVCHD (either 1080p or 720P with 23.976 FPS) there was a pronounced stutter.

I thought maybe the PC was simply not playing the exported .MP4 video back correctly so I uploaded a few variants of the clip to Vimeo to have them encoded in a format that plays smoothly on almost any machine - still the pronounced stutter.  Additionally, the PC used to edit the clips smoothly plays 1080 60P .MP4s from a Sanyo Camcorder.  I also tried the Premiere exported .MP4s on a 32 bit Windows dual core running Vista with hardware accelerated H.264 and still the same stutter.  I am confident the exported clips have the stutter in them versus stuttering playback on the workstation.

I should also mention that all the imported video (including the incorrectly interpreted original .MTS file) play smoothly from the Premiere timeline.  The source video clips also play without issue on Windows 7 in Windows Media Player.  (WMP on Windows 7 does an especially nice job smoothly playing the 24P in 60i wrapper .MTS files which is something Vista could not do)

Does anyone have any ideas?  Am I missing something obvious?  (I have tried numerous exports in different H.264 formats in 720 and 1080p - all stutter.)  I am now trying to export to Cineform codec but it is taking hours.  (Which seems odd to me as it is taking hours from a Cineform .AVI original whereas the H.264 exports all took minutes)

Any help or advice appreciated.

• 1. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Premiere mistakenly identified the file as 29.97 FPS.

That's not a mistake.  That's how the video was actually recorded.

What is the final destination of the video - Blu-ray, DVD, computer playback, Internet, several of the above?

• 2. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
            I.Rivera Level 1

I meant Premiere did not interpret the video as a 23.976 clip captured in the 60i file.  (This is why I tried Cineform, as I thought this might be a cause of the stutter.)

For this clip I was simply trying to export to 5mbps H.264 to view on a PC or upload.  I tried both the H.264 and H.264 Blu-Ray settings and adjusted the output bit rates to get to an ~5 average.  I tried 1 and 2 pass.  I also tried to change the resolution from 1080p to 720p to see if that would make any difference.  (I did not touch the audio settings)  I also selected the high quality rendering option.  None of these things seem to make a difference.  I am embarrased to say my first 2 exports with the Cineform .AVI setting seemed to yield no file - or else I cannot find the file.

:-)

I am confident that the stutter is not a product of my PC unable to play any of the .MP4 files (as the originals play perfectly) but I cannot be 100% sure.

Funny thing is all the attempts trying different settings is what I remember from using Premiere 14-15 years ago - I sort of hoped that part had been fixed by now.

:-)

• 3. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

I don't know if this will help you at all or not, but I seem to recall some time ago I got a call about this same thing from an editor friend - H.264 Quicktime files that wouldn't play right. After doing some tests, I found that the files Adobe Media Encoder CS4 was exporting wouldn't play back with Quicktime right - but they seemed to playback just fine everywhere else. I opened them up in Adobe Media Player - played fine. In PPro and AE - played fine...everywhere but the Quicktime player. Check the clips somewhere else and see how the play. Also, make sure you're running the latest updated version of Adobe Media Encoder - 4.1 I think.

Again, not sure if that helps or not...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I meant Premiere did not interpret the video as a 23.976 clip captured in the 60i file.

That's OK.  You edit in a 1080i/30 sequence anyway.  And then export out as such.

• 5. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
                  I.Rivera Level 1

Thanks, I had not thought about trying something other than WMP to play the file.  When I tried PowerDVD I found the 720P exports to stutter as much as with WMP but the 1080p 23.976 exports played much better - though still not as smooth as the originals.  (It is pretty close)  When I tried to import one of the newer clips to Vimeo it played fairly smoothly as well - though still not as smooth as the original.

I am going to try a few other clips and see if this was something specific to this clip (which had camera motion - tough on a GH1 in 24P mode) or something with Premiere.

Thanks Again

• 6. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
                    mcxmarkus

Hi there,just saw your post and think to have similiar problem, which i believe is the fault of AME.

My Exported file is playing fine until 40mins of the 60mins, after that when i choose later time in point it freezes for 10-20secs untlil it continues to play the image itself. I had worse problem using mpeg 2 as it only exported 29mins out of 60mins even though it left AME "succesfull" LOL !

see http://forums.adobe.com/message/2267915#2267915

One thing i noticed though is we both run Windows 7 - 64bit! I wonder if the issue is related to that?

Markus

• 7. Re: CS4 on 64bit Windows 7 - H.264 export yields stuttering video
                      Xoomtell Level 1

Hi

I have had stuttering issues as well playing exported FLV and MP¤ files (H.264) - running Windows 7 64 bit and PPro CS4 on a High-End system.

First I thought it was because I made a upgrade from Vista 64 and not a clean install.

It could also be something with Windows 7 and CS4 not working to well together - know there are some issues there as well....

I also tried to see if any antivirus software did something bad - excluding the Adobe-folder from realtime viruschecking.

But then I remembered having some stuttering issues early last year - before I did upgrade to Windows 7 - 64 bit. And what did I do to get rid of them at that time?

I suddenly found out that my issues at that time was connected to Apple software - iTunes and Quicktime.

So I tried to uninstall iTunes and all other Apple software (Safari etc. I had just made an update 15.3.2010) and the problems with stuttering dissapeared. I can now export media (FLV/MP4) and playback without any stuttering

I can´t get rid of the thought that Apple might be trying to make things run bad on PCs - getting people to change to Mac....hope not thats what is going on here....

Morten