6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 6:02 AM by burchan

is my system o.k. for encoding full HD in Premiere?

Paul Ferrante

I need some insight here ...

Let me start by saying ... for more than 15 years I have been a producer ... and hardly ever got in front of an editing machine to edit myself ... but now for the last 3 years ... I have been doing more and more editing ... I don't know much about the hardware side of things ... only enough to know ... I don't know much ...

I have the following:

Windows vista 64bit

asus p5kc motherboard

Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz cpu

gforce 8800gt gpu

8gb ram

300gb raptor C-Hard drive (that's where the CS4 software is ...)

1tb Seagate (sata) (that's where the content is)

(and two other hard drives)(sata) (with graphics, ect)

I'm running premiere cs4 and I'm trying to render and encode Sony ex3 (1920x1080) video, along with some full screen HD graphic beds ... with a two box overlay of video and jpegs ...

It's taking around 6 times longer than real-time to encode (1hr video is taking 6 hours to encode) ... is that normal for a system like mine?

I did just get a matrox compressHD card ... to help ... but the pc drivers don't come out for a few weeks ... I really just want to know if I'm missing something here (like a bottleneck in my system) ... or is that how long it takes to compress full HD.

Sorry if I left out any vital info ... I just don't know what else is vital to figure this out ...

Thank you in advance for any insight on this issue ...

Paul

• 1. Re: is my system o.k. for encoding full HD in Premiere?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It's taking around 6 times longer than real-time to encode (1hr video is taking 6 hours to encode) ... is that normal for a system like mine?

Encoding time depends heavily on the settings you use. Encode to what, BR with H.264 or MPEG2 or to DVD. What bitrates are used? Is Maximum Render Quality on? Single pass or 2-pass?

By itself I would not be surprised that under certain circumstances 6 times or even longer is required on this system. The system is not bad at all for EX material.

• 2. Re: is my system o.k. for encoding full HD in Premiere?
            Paul Ferrante Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for you insight ... I see that you are on this board helping all the time ... so, thank you for helping others ...

As far as the encoding ... it seems like all of the formats you listed are slow ... I have tried H.264 and DVD

bit rates are on preset ...so,  let me check on that info and I'll list it here later ...

I'm on single pass ... and max quality ... (any chance you could ballpark the render time difference between max quality and good quality?)

... but just knowing that the system seems to be performing o.k. ... tells me I'm not dealing with a bottleneck issue ...

(but ... I hope the "compresshd" card will help when the drives come out for pc ...)

Thank you for your time,

Paul

• 3. Re: is my system o.k. for encoding full HD in Premiere?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Using Maximum Quality can increase render times by a factor of 2 or 3. Encoding with H.264 can take twice as long as MPEG2.

You have a very good system with a nice disk setup.

Of course, there are newer and better systems around, but aren't there always?

• 4. Re: is my system o.k. for encoding full HD in Premiere?
                Paul Ferrante Level 1
                Harm,
                You have been the insight I needed today ... thank you ...
                I know what you mean ... when it comes to systems ... if I had 50K ... I would be in great shape ... but then again I'm not doing HD shows for NBC ... just basic (long) e-learning stuff ... for web and dvd or cd-rom
                I think my next step is a new motherboard, ram and CPU ... but that can wait a little longer ...
                Talk to you soon,
                Paul
                • 6. Re: is my system o.k. for encoding full HD in Premiere?
                  burchan

I have just purchased CS4 Production Premium and installed on Dell Inspiron computer with core 2 duo cpu 2.80GHz and 2GB ram. I am using Canon HF S10 camera at full HD setting of 24 Mbps. Since I am not ready for Blue Ray I tried to encode to DVD using Media Encoder. Encoder would stop during encoding but not show the fault. Since then I tried encoding using Encore and had good quality result each time. It is possible that my settings in Media Encoder were not ideal for the system I was using and since Encore selects settings for you and you have no option it worked well and render time for 1 hour video was less then 2 hours. Quality is excelent and I am happy that my computer will not need upgrade at this time. Adobe Premiere is fantastic product.