6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 3:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Codec errors?

trex15

How can a saved file in premiere elements 7 suddenly become "not supported or not having the required codec"?

Do I have to be a freaking computer genius to make a slideshow?

I have spent 4 hours trying to figure out what the heck a codec is and what codec is missing from my computer. I finally uninstalled and installed it and the same error still appears.

It had the right codec when I was working on it and saved it a few months ago.

I decided to just do it over again and now learned that I can't import any audio files into my new slideshow.

Any ideas?

(type slowly, I am not that computer smart)... 

• 1. Re: Codec errors?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't really give us enough information for us to help you, Trex. We don't even know what file format you're trying to save your slideshow as!

But have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime? (Quicktime plays an important role in all video editing.)

Have you manually gone to Windows Update or Microsoft Update and ensured you have all (even the optional) updates?

Our FAQs cover a lot of this. My books on Premiere Elements go into much more detail -- and could have saved you hours of research!

• 2. Re: Codec errors?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The full info on those Clips will be very important. This ARTICLE will give you some background as to formats and CODEC's, plus will tell you how to find all the necessary info on them. It also explains the use of G-Spot, which will survey your system for all properly installed CODEC's, and tell you if you do have the necessary one installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Codec errors?
              trex15 Level 1

Thanks for the interest.

I am saving as the default (.prel), the project settings are NTS-DV-Standard 48kHz.

It was a standard slide show with 2 tracks of music.

I am running home vista. It is a stand alone computer that is not hooked to the internet. I bought the computer, premiere elements 7 and elements 7 at the same time about a year ago. The computer does not do anything but photography. There is no chance of a virus etc.

The only thing loaded on it is the above programs, Noise Ninja, Photomatix, and Roxio.

I put the latest Quicktime on it last night via a thumbdrive.

My question is regardless of what messed it up, why would it not go back to the same settings it was a year ago, if I uninstalled and re-installed?

After re-installing I get the same errors. There would be no need for an update if everything was the same as it was a year ago, right?

It was working perfectly. I saved and exited the program several times and it opened right up when I went to work on it. Now, a few months later, it decides to have a codec problem... I cannot even find the codec in the system. I figured it would be like an adobe plugin and labeled accordingly.

How would I go back and reset everything to the same settings it had a year ago without messing anything up? Or, How do I get a codec that works?

Regards,

T

• 4. Re: Codec errors?
                trex15 Level 1

Thank you for the tip.

I put gspot on the computer.

I dragged the file over that gets the errors.

Container states: XML document(XML)

Mime type: application/xhtml+xml

proposed code solutions:

Rendering failed. Following is the error reported by Directshow

0x80040265: (unknown)

That is the limit of my intellectual capacity, it may as well be in german...

• 5. Re: Codec errors?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There is some confusion. The .PREL file is but the PrE Project file. It contains no media at all. This ARTICLE will give you a lot more info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Codec errors?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Container states: XML document(XML)

This is correct for the .PREL file. It is but an XML database with locations of media, and instructions for PrE. What you need to look at will be the actual media files themselves. There is no media, only references to them, in the .PREL file.

Hope that this, plus the linked article above makes more sense.

Good luck,

Hunt